"Give Me: Your Dirty Love"...Do You Love Ang Lee, Too?

Dear Folks,

First, I have two questions:

a.  Why did Ang Lee choose this Zappa tune for his Masterpiece Movie...Ice Storm?

b. What are your favorite FIVE (numerology) Films directed by Ang Lee?

c. And, the third of the two questions, did you know that Ang Lee is from Taiwan,and not from China?  As I recall, he is from TaiNan, but I could be wrong, although I think that I am not wrong.

So then, what is this song DIRTY LOVE?

And, why did Zappa hold a special place in the heart of Ang Lee?

The Tune goes like this....

ICE Storm is one of my favorite films, and this evening while watching it for about the 10th time in my life I suddenly came to wondering why this DIRTY LOVE SONG?

Do you get it?

Other than Ice Storm, which is my favorite, I also enjoyed Eat Drink when it was first released.  These are the two films I like more than the others.

But what about you?

BreakYourBack Mountain?

Did you dig that one?

And what have you to say about that Martial Arts film he did?

Here is a clip from Ice Storm, in case you have forgotten how super nice it really is....

There is just so much about this film that causes me great nostalgia for my youth which was spent in much the same environment.

Talk about resonating, ....

This flick sure does.

So, enjoy if you will download it.

Because, I already checked and there is no good HiRes copy streaming on the internet for free.

Just download using a torrent client, or something.

Best regards,

Gamma

Note:  I love to watch films about Ice Storms during the Hot Season and the Raining Season in Thailand.  I am sure you feel as I.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

jan 5 1998 i am driving along the 401 east towards kingston. the rain starts to fall.....the next week of my life was a beautiful disaster. at the time the electrical grid took a bit of a hit. however downtown kingston had its own power supply. similar to the nine square plan.  it was the college/university bar district. but unfortunately the college dorm had no power. 

@kingstonkid were you there during this ? kingston was such a sight to see. i will always remember the next morning when i woke up my car was encased in ice. i would say a few inches thick by that point....... and my ice scrapper was inside the car of course. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_1998_North_American_ice_storm

ben you're boring me....i don't need another husband. 

wearing a new musk smell going home and telling your wife you had a rough day - classic. 

oh right right the coffee cup with the mustache...the one sitting on the dash. 

how you take it isn't all that interesting to me benajmin.....sorry.

you gonna leave the seeds in there ...in the binding like that...all will be revealed :)

frances davenport the fourth tonight....you sleep the sleep of the just. 

pain is merely an opinion.

i know where the candles are and i know where all the emergency exits are on this floor. this knot is called a hangman...lets hang him.

have you ever had a nocturnal emission. its like when you wake up and you find this pool of sticky stuff....like after sexy dream...they haven't told you about this stuff yet...aww what planet are you living on. 

do these seats go back. 

that was awful...really awful...im so sorry. 

Sorry, I do not know the answer to the questions you seek.

But I do know that Frank Zappa is unlistenable garbage.

And someone might want to take singing lessons before actually putting out an album and calling themselves a singer. 

5 hours ago, stoner said:

jan 5 1998 i am driving along the 401 east towards kingston. the rain starts to fall.....the next week of my life was a beautiful disaster. at the time the electrical grid took a bit of a hit. however downtown kingston had its own power supply. similar to the nine square plan.  it was the college/university bar district. but unfortunately the college dorm had no power. 

@kingstonkid were you there during this ? kingston was such a sight to see. i will always remember the next morning when i woke up my car was encased in ice. i would say a few inches thick by that point....... and my ice scrapper was inside the car of course. 

wearing a new musk smell going home and telling your wife you had a rough day - classic. 

you gonna leave the seeds in there ...in the binding like that...all will be revealed 🙂

i know where the candles are and i know where all the emergency exits are on this floor. this knot is called a hangman...lets hang him.

have you ever had a nocturnal emission. its like when you wake up and you find this pool of sticky stuff....like after sexy dream...they haven't told you about this stuff yet...aww what planet are you living on. 

do these seats go back. 

NAH, Sorry,  I was in Pakistan enjoying the warm weather on the golf course and driving the Pakistani military crazy.

OH yeah was also sending weather picks every day to friends and family back in Kingston and Ottawa

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, stoner said:

you gonna leave the seeds in there ...in the binding like that...all will be revealed 🙂

do these seats go back. 

OK

Now, if not long before, we can see why ANG LEE makes such great films.

Much underrated, Ang Lee, I have often thought.

Ice Storm, in my view, is even more of a MASTERPIECE than Eat Drink!!!!!

So NICE of you to post these telling quotes which say so much about the film.

KINGSTON is not far from....MCGILL, I might add.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

OK

Now, if not long before, we can see why ANG LEE makes such great films.

Much underrated, Ang Lee, I have often thought.

Ice Storm, in my view, is even more of a MASTERPIECE than Eat Drink!!!!!

So NICE of you to post these telling quotes which say so much about the film.

KINGSTON is not far from....MCGILL, I might add.

So what is it about the film that draws you in. Is it the fool in the rain ? 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, stoner said:

So what is it about the film that draws you in. Is it the fool in the rain ? 

a. Ang Lee captured the mood of the time like no other. How he did this, coming from Taiwan, I have no clue, but he did. If you are not old enough to have lived through that era, and while you were still a teen, then you can never know.

b. The music is amazing. And I mean the music created for the film, specifically.

c. Everyone was living plastic lives at the time. And, it seems, nothing has changed.

d.  Those were times of great change, too.  You would have had to live through the years of the 1950s and 1960s to know this, too.

e.  Nobody in this film has any idea why or for what they are living.  They only move forward through their lives, without thinking or thought, just because they seem unable to choose a different path, or to choose to stop the madness.  

f. They throw their keys in the bowl, not because they have made a conscious choice to do so, but only because the bowl is there, and because they are asked to do so, even if they wish they could refuse.  They are unable to refuse because they are being pushed along through their lives, and they cannot do otherwise.

So....

This movie is creepy and beautiful.  The music is strikingly beautiful.

Eat Drink is also a dynamite film.

And, it has many of the same themes.

People are at the dinner table, sitting before a spectacular feast.

Yet, they are only there out of habit.

They do not enjoy being at the feast.

They are being carried along through life with almost no ability to change their trajectories.

Ang Lee is under appreciated, maybe...

Edited by GammaGlobulin

42 minutes ago, stoner said:

And the masses need that.

Thinking requires effort.

If people are kept busy enough, just in their attempt to put food on the table, they will have no time nor energy to think, but most do not wish to think, anyway.

If people began to think then religion would not be enough to protect them from their realities.

On 7/31/2024 at 11:29 PM, stoner said:

And the masses need that.

And, there is quite a nice interview by Charlie Rose with Ang Lee, the author of Ice Storm, and the producer, too.....

Here....

Truly a Masterpiece, in my view, as I said.

I found the novel, Ice Storm, on the net, for free, in the epub format.

Maybe I will read it this evening.

Such an amazing film...

Also, I had forgotten that Ang Lee (LiAn) was born in PingDong...Taiwan.

I had thought Tainan, but Tainan is not very far north of PingDong, which was truly a rural area when LiAn was born there.

Very strange, I feel, that he traveled to the USA, and then stayed there, and then found this book ICE Storm...and what were the odds?