Best and most wanted farang food in Buriram

globalwander1

After 20+ years of experiencing local available farang food, I am very interested in what you all would cosider a food item or meal that would be a "go to" if it could be had at a click of a button or locally available.

This ideally should be a top 5 list of what you actually want and would be willing to pay(reasonable cost) for highest quality artisan made and organic or as close to it as possible. No cheap substitutes as this is as I would eat with my family.

As a thought, Thai or Iocal food made with healthier ingredients, sauce and meat could be on this list as well.

Example; papaya salad without fermented fish, dried shrimp or fish sauce.

Larb with duck or chicken, no cartilage, skin or gristle.

You can make a top 3 or a top 10 as you each prefer.

Any feedback and participation is really appreciated and you dont have to be in Isaan or Thailand currently to add.

Thanks

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Hummin said:

A good Lasagna is not easy to be found in Thailand 

Quality Steak

Lamb Rack

Spicey Buffalo Wings

BBQ ribs

Off course Pizza with real cheese

Very nice!

Lasagna is great and I grew up with homemade so love it.

Good beef is harder to find in Thai but my sons favorite.

Lamb will be fairly expensive but is nice.

Buffalo wings are always popular and easy to add.

What sized portions? Qty

Ribs are my choice and I just had some in Chiang rai that were tasty. 900bt 1000g in a steakhouse but we need to make a street version that is better value.

Pizza is also my choice but thinking with a tomato based sauce, not the sweet thai version, and definately with real cheese.

Homemade tortillas and breakfast burritos, wraps etc. are on my list along with burrito bowls, hearty salads like taco and chicken.

Great stuff Hummin

Keep throwibg out great ideas and we just might get something going.

• Agree 1

On 8/2/2024 at 2:48 PM, globalwander1 said:

After 20+ years of experiencing local available farang food, I am very interested in what you all would cosider a food item or meal that would be a "go to" if it could be had at a click of a button or locally available.

This ideally should be a top 5 list of what you actually want and would be willing to pay(reasonable cost) for highest quality artisan made and organic or as close to it as possible. No cheap substitutes as this is as I would eat with my family.

As a thought, Thai or Iocal food made with healthier ingredients, sauce and meat could be on this list as well.

Example; papaya salad without fermented fish, dried shrimp or fish sauce.

Larb with duck or chicken, no cartilage, skin or gristle.

You can make a top 3 or a top 10 as you each prefer.

Any feedback and participation is really appreciated and you dont have to be in Isaan or Thailand currently to add.

Thanks

Anything I or my wife make at home.

I tend not to dream and drool about food on a forum.

I tend ti get to the market, buy ingredients, go home and cook. Done. Easy. Sorted.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I make Lasagna here, but have to drive 1 1/2 hours for the cheese, noodles and Italian sausage. Brisket, and the sauce,  for BBQ like Texas has, the best worldwide, Pierogis like I had living in the NYC area, Corned Beef and Cabbage like my dad made, Philly Cheese Steak, New Jersey/New York pizza, Swordfish steak grilled, Oysters on the half shell, Cannolis, Jewish deli sandwich, Reuben sandwich, Blackened Snapper, Manhattan Clam Chowder, New England Clam Chowder, Chicken Fajitas with Onions and Pico De Gallo, and large Sourdough Pretzels as a snack.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Anything I or my wife make at home.

I tend not to dream and drool about food on a forum.

I tend ti get to the market, buy ingredients, go home and cook. Done. Easy. Sorted.

I like to as well but it can be difficult when we are busy and on the move

14 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I make Lasagna here, but have to drive 1 1/2 hours for the cheese, noodles and Italian sausage. Brisket, and the sauce,  for BBQ like Texas has, the best worldwide, Pierogis like I had living in the NYC area, Corned Beef and Cabbage like my dad made, Philly Cheese Steak, New Jersey/New York pizza, Swordfish steak grilled, Oysters on the half shell, Cannolis, Jewish deli sandwich, Reuben sandwich, Blackened Snapper, Manhattan Clam Chowder, New England Clam Chowder, Chicken Fajitas with Onions and Pico De Gallo, and large Sourdough Pretzels as a snack.

You know I love Philly cheese steak, got the best ever in Pasadena CA from a crew from philly

Reubens also, we make them everytime we go to our cabin in the mountains.

Food has meaning and memories.

We are on the go so we have access to more ingredients but here in Thai but, as you show, can be a lot of running around and unreasonable effort for that certain meal in my opinion.

First time I heard rubbing or Philly in Thai

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

They have delivery these days Fred.

They do but sometimes we like to compare and look for that best ingredient or option guess it come from having so much in a western country.

This is changing so fast I just ask my kids for wisdom

13 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

https://nookiesdelights.3baht.net/docs/Nookies Price List.pdf

Situated between Nang Rong  and Nong Ki. All details on web site.

That is an impressive stock and interesting, as America not sure what some of your products are and that kind of makes it fun to look over. 

I will save this and contact you through your web page if you let an email there.

We are in the Satuek/ kaen dong area other side of Buriram airport by 35min3

Talking of food, can anyone recommend any reliable frozen food deiveries available in the Nakhon Phanom / Mukdahan areas?

By reliable I mean:

1.) Temperature of the food was consistent all the way from origin to delivery (no thawed and refrozen risk).

2.) Not stupidly priced. Happy to pay the premium required, without any ripoff.

3.) Majority of items always in stock

4.) Fast delivery, 1 or 2 days maximum from placing of order / payment.

5.) Good range of western (UK mainly) canned and packaged foods.

Would love to know where people find quality minced beef here, for example. The minced beef in Makro Pattaya was fantastic value / quality. Up here it's full of fat and grisle to the point that I find it unappetising.

Thanks in advance.

15 hours ago, globalwander1 said:

That is an impressive stock and interesting, as America not sure what some of your products are and that kind of makes it fun to look over. 

I will save this and contact you through your web page if you let an email there.

We are in the Satuek/ kaen dong area other side of Buriram airport by 35min3

I seem to have mislead you. I am not the owner of the website. I just know the guy and I was trying to help you and others in finding farang foods etc. The owner of the goods has a telephone number  displayed on his site and you can contact him on that. I do know that he is sometimes mobile and perhaps you can link up. His name's Paul.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I seem to have mislead you. I am not the owner of the website. I just know the guy and I was trying to help you and others in finding farang foods etc. The owner of the goods has a telephone number  displayed on his site and you can contact him on that. I do know that he is sometimes mobile and perhaps you can link up. His name's Paul.

Appreciate it!

23 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Talking of food, can anyone recommend any reliable frozen food deiveries available in the Nakhon Phanom / Mukdahan areas?

By reliable I mean:

1.) Temperature of the food was consistent all the way from origin to delivery (no thawed and refrozen risk).

2.) Not stupidly priced. Happy to pay the premium required, without any ripoff.

3.) Majority of items always in stock

4.) Fast delivery, 1 or 2 days maximum from placing of order / payment.

5.) Good range of western (UK mainly) canned and packaged foods.

Would love to know where people find quality minced beef here, for example. The minced beef in Makro Pattaya was fantastic value / quality. Up here it's full of fat and grisle to the point that I find it unappetising.

Thanks in advance.

Is minced and ground the same?

Have you checked Thai foods or Tesco, they both have good supply here but I dont usually use beef here so not an expert.

You can usually buy a cut of meat and let them grind it for you to avoid the unwanted bits but they effect your fat ratio.

In the states, I buy a full beef at a time from neighbor so im spoiled and thai its chicken, duck and some pork but we intend to have ours grown out at our own multiple small facilities to keep them organic and free of commercial feed even though many here are ran that way but not the big commercial suppliers.

This is a place I have enjoyed visiting when I have been in Hua Hin. Service and food is quite good, and a good reference how you can balance thai/western food for foreigners. 

If you passing through or visit Hua Hin, I recomend everyone to have a visit to this restaurant. 

Green Onion BBQ & Craft Beer Bar

https://maps.app.goo.gl/JFxuN69GP6BCSf9q8

Edited by Hummin

23 hours ago, Hummin said:

This is a place I have enjoyed visiting when I have been in Hua Hin. Service and food is quite good, and a good reference how you can balance thai/western food for foreigners. 

If you passing through or visit Hua Hin, I recomend everyone to have a visit to this restaurant. 

Green Onion BBQ & Craft Beer Bar

https://maps.app.goo.gl/JFxuN69GP6BCSf9q8

Looks like a winner there. Haven't been for years but will check it out if we go down there. The ribs

On 8/3/2024 at 1:51 AM, Hummin said:

A good Lasagna is not easy to be found in Thailand 

Quality Steak

Lamb Rack

Spicey Buffalo Wings

BBQ ribs

Off course Pizza with real cheese

All of the above available in Udon Thani.

(hundreds were killed in the rush)

On 8/4/2024 at 3:24 PM, fredwiggy said:

All available in Udon Thani.

(but hurry up, there's a bunch of folk already in the queue)

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

All of the above available in Udon Thani.

(hundreds were killed in the rush)

All can be found, but does it taste good? And taste is subjektive.

Had a few days there, visited a few Italiens with best reviews and it was ok

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

All available in Udon Thani.

(but hurry up, there's a bunch of folk already in the queue)

I'm not one to doubt much without knowing the truth, but some things there I have never heard about by anyone here or online. Jewish deli sandwiches are a NYC thing, and you need all the ingredients to make one, and some I can't find here. New York /New Jersey pizza only comes from those locations, as it's not only the ingredients but the water which makes it so. I've had pizza here in a few places and nothing comes close, but I've heard there are places that do. Blackened Snapper is a US thing, as the Snapper they use in from the Gulf of Mexico and Florida areas, but mostly around Texas and Louisiana. It's a Cajun thing and I haven't heard about that here. I know you can import a lot of things, but you also need the right chef who's lived in those places. Sourdough Pretzels I haven't seen anywhere, nor online from here. When I go back to visit Texas, I bring them, along with Spaghetti Sauce, Rice a Roni, Orzo, cereals you can't get here, Spray "I don't believe it's butter", Pastina, Tuna and good Sardines, and deer jerky and sausage from a deer I shoot. I haven't seen Manhattan or New England Clam Chowder anywhere but online and high dollar, like the cereals and sauces I like. I'm guessing you can get Oysters on the half shell on the coast somewhere?

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm not one to doubt much without knowing the truth, but some things there I have never heard about by anyone here or online. Jewish deli sandwiches are a NYC thing, and you need all the ingredients to make one, and some I can't find here. New York /New Jersey pizza only comes from those locations, as it's not only the ingredients but the water which makes it so. I've had pizza here in a few places and nothing comes close, but I've heard there are places that do. Blackened Snapper is a US thing, as the Snapper they use in from the Gulf of Mexico and Florida areas, but mostly around Texas and Louisiana. It's a Cajun thing and I haven't heard about that here. I know you can import a lot of things, but you also need the right chef who's lived in those places. Sourdough Pretzels I haven't seen anywhere, nor online from here. When I go back to visit Texas, I bring them, along with Spaghetti Sauce, Rice a Roni, Orzo, cereals you can't get here, Spray "I don't believe it's butter", Pastina, Tuna and good Sardines, and deer jerky and sausage from a deer I shoot. I haven't seen Manhattan or New England Clam Chowder anywhere but online and high dollar, like the cereals and sauces I like. I'm guessing you can get Oysters on the half shell on the coast somewhere?

Oh dear. I sincerely sympathise. Life must be hard.