Question on new visas and tax avoidance.

For many years I have wanted to change my non-O (retirement) visa from my British passport to a different nationality. I have been told rightly that I will have to start the process all over again so I have kept it in the UK passport for about 15 or 16 years now. 

Now the new remittance tax changes and the prospect of taxation on worldwide income in 2025 here in Thailand are forcing me to become a tax exile. From 2024 on I will limit my stay to 179 days per year.

Now what type of visa is best for me going forward? I am wondering whether getting 2 or 3 x 60 day visa exempt entries would enable me to spend my 179 days in Thailand. Or will I need a 6 month visa issued outside the country? 

Can anyone guide me on the pros and cons of keeping the non-O visa I have with ME and coming and going as I have in the past. The downside is the 90 day reports, the annual extensions, and the requirement to show up in person every time you fly in from abroad. I could do with spending less time at the immigration office. I do know there is a website that allows some people to escape the 90 day reports, but I have never been able to get it to function. 

Being on a retirement extension, and having considered these tax implications, I decided that if I needed to avoid the taxes, I would spend 190 days outside Thailand, but keep the retirement extension. With the extension and multi-entry re-entry permit, I can enter and exit TH at will, which is a convenience that I want. That said, the tax hit would have to be extraordinary to overcome to additional cost of splitting my time between here and somewhere else.

• Agree 2

There doesn't seem to be any reason for the OP to change his visa, simple keep it and only spend 179 days here. If he's here for less than 180 days per year, he wont be tax resident so Thai tax is not an issue.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yet another tax thread ...

All covered in another forum. 

It is not a tax question but a visa question. The reason for wanting to live outside Thailand is a tax reason but my question, if you read the post, is about ditching the Non O visa and coming in on a 60 day exempt visa 2 or 3 times a year. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, retarius said:

From 2024 on I will limit my stay to 179 days per year.

Now what type of visa is best for me going forward? I am wondering whether getting 2 or 3 x 60 day visa exempt entries would enable me to spend my 179 days in Thailand. Or will I need a 6 month visa issued outside the country? 

Can anyone guide me on the pros and cons of keeping the non-O visa I have with ME and coming and going as I have in the past. The downside is the 90 day reports, the annual extensions, and the requirement to show up in person every time you fly in from abroad. I could do with spending less time at the immigration office. I do know there is a website that allows some people to escape the 90 day reports, but I have never been able to get it to function. 

As you've had a non-imm O for 15 years I think you already know the answer to your question, which is "up to your personal choice"

If you are only staying 179 days per calender year do two 60 day visa exempt entries + two 30 day extensions to give 180 days. That'll cost you 3800 baht for two extensions + 3000-4000 baht for one border run (or more to fly out). Advantage is totally flexible to travel when you want 

The big advantage of keeping your non-imm O is that you can do the 180 days in one go. This also means you don't need the multi re-entry permit as a single re-entry will do (so total cost 1900 + 1000 baht per year). Only downsides are you have to leave 800k/400k baht in Thai bank and you must be in Thaiand in the month your 12 month extension is due.

You'll also need to do one 90 day report which you say is a big deal, however is nothing compared to the one border run you need on visa exempt option above.

Edited by Pattaya57

3 hours ago, retarius said:

u read the post, is about ditching the Non O visa and coming in on a 60 day exempt visa 2 or 3 times a year

You are assuming that the visa exemption will be 60 days ongoing.

I don't see it that way.

You also over stating the reference to 90 day reporting after trips out of Thailand. You can do TM47 via mail.