Connundrum. My car is misplated and I'd like to make it fully legal. How?

I own a 1999 Daihatsu Atrai Hi-Jet 4 seat microvan. It was imported from Japan about 15 years ago and is registered in Saraburi. I live in the Pattaya region. I've owned it for nearly 10 years. I did an engine swap a while back (have all the legal documentation for that) and took it to Pattaya DLT to have the new motor number registered. They pointed out that it's misplated. It has green/white plates and they should be black/white. A young gentleman there said I'd either need to pay "SOMETHING" (Back taxes, fines, who knows what?) to get it plated properly, or convert it to a 2 seater transport van.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had an issue similar to this. I'm also wondering if anyone knows of an agent who can help me navigate the bureaucracy regarding making the car legal. Ideally, I'd like to keep it as a 4 seater, get black/white plates, and register the new engine.

As of now, fortunately, my local inspection station doesn't check the motor number, so it's currently registered, tax and insurance paid. If I ever wanted to sell it, I could only sell it for scrap or parts. Love the car, want to keep it, put new paint on it, not spend a ton of money making legal, and be on my merry way.

Am I  dreaming? Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm listening. Thanks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, AnotherOneHere said:

No, you are not dreaming.

Yep, my car's brother from another mother. I don't see a black/white plate though. Dang!

Edited by Lichiyado
Misformatted

28 minutes ago, Lichiyado said:

A young gentleman there said I'd either need to pay "SOMETHING" (Back taxes, fines, who knows what?) to get it plated properly, or convert it to a 2 seater transport van.

I agree with @jvs above, and that's what I would do, but I'm curious as to how this car could originally be plated green on white (2 seat pick-up) when it is clearly a 4-seat minivan. I suppose the answer is TiT.

Did you ask how much you would need to pay to get it properly plated? Might be worth it for future peace of mind/resale value.

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I agree with @jvs above, and that's what I would do, but I'm curious as to how this car could originally be plated green on white (2 seat pick-up) when it is clearly a 4-seat minivan. I suppose the answer is TiT.

Did you ask how much you would need to pay to get it properly plated? Might be worth it for future peace of mind/resale value.

I also agree with @jvs to a certain degree. It's been my current strategy to just "leave it" but as you mention it gives me no flexibility regarding the future or the possibility of selling it. And if I continue to restore it, paint it, upgrade it, I'd really like for it to not end up in a crusher if someone were to red-flag it (at a new inspection station, for example, if I were to move from my current home).

I'm not sure how much it would cost to have it re-plated. I haven't gotten that far with DLT. A little reluctant to fully bring my issues to DLT's attention. Anecdotally I've heard 'multiple thousands'. Maybe 30K? 60K? Just not sure. Yet. That's why I was asking about an agent, hoping to find someone who can help me do this cost effectively.

Regarding your question about how it got a green/white plate in the first place, apparently a huge batch of these cars came in to Thailand long ago, and perhaps there were some shenanigans that took place to keep the cost of import and sale as low as possible. Again, anecdotal information. Also, I've seen other cars, exactly like mine, with green/white plates, so I'm not alone. But I just don't know for sure the details. And yes, TIT likely plays a role here.

17 minutes ago, Lichiyado said:

I'm not sure how much it would cost to have it re-plated. I haven't gotten that far with DLT.

Go to one of these test centres and explain your problem. They often have "friends" at the DLT and may be able to help.

Untitled.jpeg.2ab4b76d69f475c5efd8143c50658c13.jpeg

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

Go to one of these test centres and explain your problem. They often have "friends" at the DLT and may be able to help.

Untitled.jpeg.2ab4b76d69f475c5efd8143c50658c13.jpeg

Not a bad idea. But if I take it to my current inspection station, the one that doesn't check the engine number, and bring my issues to their attention, I could be in for a world of hurt if things don't go my way. But it's worth a hunt at unfamiliar inspection stations. "Excuse me, I have a 'friend' who has a misplated car. Can you help him, maybe?" 🙂 I'll think about it. Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

engine number is the least of your problem, if you drive through any checkpoints and they see a green plated k-car but has full seats and cabin, the worst is they could seize the car or make you pay back the excise tax,

or if they dig deeper the importation documents might not hold up, certain province's DLT are known to be more 'lenient' towards k-car imports at a time and many were used to 'launder' these cars from supposedly 'scraps' Some might even use donor VIN from a locally available Daihatsu MIra which were available as a pickup and qualify for the green plate

spacer.png

even going the legitimate route, to convert form green plate to black plate, you'll have to pay back the tax difference, which now might be worth more than the car at this point 

On 8/5/2024 at 10:17 PM, chickenslegs said:

Most cars are registered as 5 seaters.