Brutal assault on Canadian raises serious questions about tourist safety in Pattaya

webfact

1 hour ago, Sig said:

Stating that something is a possibility is not speculation on what actually happened.

Yes, it is, as nothing suggests that possibility in the available evidence. So you're merely conflating that incident with others that supposedly occurred.

1 hour ago, Sig said:

Are you really so daft to think I'd supply links to things I clearly stated were personal experiences?

Spurious claims to Authority, not to say misunderstanding and lying, are legion around here. Are you really so daft as to believe I'd take your word for anything? If you've got any real evidence, let's see it. The Pattaya Mail and the forum have been around for decades, so should be plenty of reporting. Otherwise, you got nothing, and, by an irrelevant speculation on this case about what could have happened (but didn't), have lost credibility on the topic.

But you're of course to believe whatever you wish, even though no one else, or perhaps a few bashers, agrees with you. 🙂 

• Confused 1

On 8/6/2024 at 10:55 AM, Pattaya57 said:

It's all been very quiet about the soi 6 security thugs kicking brits in the head whilst on the ground a few months back. Seems these thugs still control soi 6, so good reason to avoid if all it takes to be sent to ICU is lean against a car 😞

Maybe the owner told him not too, and maybe he as a typical foreigner told them to F off...what's to do...see it all too often, guys with a bit of money, young girl/wife and they suddenly become gangster No1..if only they behaved themselves

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Maybe the owner told him not too, and maybe he as a typical foreigner told them to F off...what's to do...see it all too often, guys with a bit of money, young girl/wife and they suddenly become gangster No1..if only they behaved themselves

My take as well.....and all the guy did was push him anyway.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Cisco said:

Perhaps mentioned previously, but does the video show someone in the background unlocking and entering the truck in question at the 2:52 mark?

A drunken 'local'...

On 8/6/2024 at 11:47 AM, MalcolmB said:

Thais just don’t go around bashing farangs for no reason.

Bar thugs do. Most certainly.

Many years ago I was drinking in a beer bar I drank in many times before. I felt comfortable enough to give the woman a 500 or 1, 000b now knowing full well this is not what one should do.

Sure enough the cashier short changed me. I have been in Pattaya long enough to know to not even touch the tray and send it back asking to be recounted.

The woman was caught out and I guess I given her one too many evil eyes and the course of only a few minutes. Despite me having a full beer she ordered me out of the beer bar. You go!

I didn't think she had any right to do that, I did nothing wrong so while I was more than willing to leave I was going to finish my beer first.

Within minutes set upon by three or four thugs and they came at me for my backside and pulled me off my chair. One of them actually took the steel chair, swung it at my face. I was extremely lucky in it only caught me between my eyes but did gash me. I think they also had some other weapon.

The police weren't interested in doing anything about it. Like NOTHING

Later, back in my apartment and speaking with a hairstylist that worked across the street. She told me.. I told you never to drink in that bar it's mafia. She never told me any such thing..

That woman at the cashier and those thugs are not good people. There's no shortage of these types of Pattaya.

Everyone goes on about how lovely Thai people are and there's no doubt they can be but there is definitely a darker side to this nation.

Edited by BobDobbs
speech to text
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

I just watched the CCTV and can confirm it was the Canadian that asked for trouble.

Never try to push a Thai male. Should be a warning sign at the airport for newbies to Pattaya.  Even if I'm drunk I would stay far away, not sure what he was thinking. 

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2024 at 10:08 PM, balo said:

I just watched the CCTV and can confirm it was the Canadian that asked for trouble.

Never try to push a Thai male. Should be a warning sign at the airport for newbies to Pattaya.  Even if I'm drunk I would stay far away, not sure what he was thinking. 

Never understood all these types of comments, 'don't argue with a Thai male, don't push a Thai male' etc etc etc.

You shouldn't argue or push any male unless you are big/game enough to back it up. Nothing special about Thai males......

On 8/23/2024 at 7:13 AM, sungod said:

Nothing special about Thai males......

I've seen one or two youtube videos and read several forum posts that indicate that getting into a fight with a thai person will result in random thai people joining in to beat you, seems odd to me, but if people have had this experience it's interesting to know about.

I'd advise avoiding fights in all cases, be that with a thai person or any other nationality. You might end up in prison, seriously injured or dead.

On 8/23/2024 at 8:13 AM, sungod said:

Never understood all these types of comments, 'don't argue with a Thai male, don't push a Thai male' etc etc etc.

You shouldn't argue or push any male unless you are big/game enough to back it up. Nothing special about Thai males......

Not true at all, we are in Thailand and the males here can be very aggressive. 
A Western tourist on a bike in Chiang Mai  some years ago was murdered just because he gave the finger to a young Thai male chasing after him.  

They have a very short fuse and when it goes off it goes off with a bang. 
I learned my lesson a long time ago, just keep your distance, especially at night and drunk. 

Edited by balo

3 hours ago, balo said:

A Western tourist on a bike in Chiang Mai  some years ago was murdered just because he gave the finger to a young Thai male chasing after him.  

I learned my lesson a long time ago, just keep your distance, especially at night and drunk. 

Give it a rest, males anywhere in the world can turn nasty. Give a finger in the wrong parts of the UK and you will be stabbed. 

I really dont understand how some of you make it out the house in the morning all on your own........

Treat everyone the same....

23 hours ago, balo said:

It's going to get worse as the economy sours. The anger gets vented onto tourists and foreigners, because they are viewed as a meal ticket that's not delivering.

I already had some owner in a cafe tell me his sob story and how he was looking for a business partner. They think they are owed something for allowing foreigners to be here and utilizing services and goods.

Edited by JimTripper

blah blah blah   another 'dark shadow over the city’s reputation'

Nothing done, nothing gained.....  again

Should have apologised and moved on rather than engage with these thugs

Lovely slim lass in the pic..  yumm yumm

Edited by drgoon
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

It's going to get worse as the economy sours. The anger gets vented onto tourists and foreigners, because they are viewed as a meal ticket that's not delivering.

I already had some owner in a cafe tell me his sob story and how he was looking for a business partner. They think they are owed something for allowing foreigners to be here and utilizing services and goods.

Envy is a factor I suspect. 

23 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Envy is a factor I suspect. 

Yes, envy & pride (entitlement). Two of the cardinal sins are a big problem here.

An envious person does not matter to me much. I can just avoid them. When envy is mixed with pride however, they are moved to act, by tearing me down in some way. Usually in some passive-aggressive manner. An example would be following me around everywhere to make me uncomfortable or overly restrictive visa policies like 90-day reports.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2024 at 10:26 PM, pegman said:

My education about the State of Alberta was garnered by spending a couple weeks a month there.  Only province that it beats out for rightwing wing-nuts is Saskatchewan. Although he brought it on himself I hope he is doing well in his recovery

He is no longer in ICU but remains unresponsive and has been moved to a private care facility. Thanks for your caring thoughts.

8 hours ago, JimTripper said:

It's going to get worse as the economy sours.

The Thai economy isn't "souring," a forum myth that's been repeated for decades. And there's no hard evidence it's "getting worse." The OP incident had nothing to with the economy, LOL.

The anger gets vented onto tourists and foreigners, because they are viewed as a meal ticket that's not delivering.

Usual xenophobic paranoid fantasy.

already had some owner in a cafe tell me his sob story and how he was looking for a business partner.

Small business owners in Pattaya are notorious for poor-mouthing. Our ANF Barstool Pollsters talk to a few every high & low season, then pronounce the current season "the lowest ever" in the Perpetual Pattaya Death Spiral.

They think they are owed something for allowing foreigners to be here and utilizing services and goods.

Another bigoted fantasy.

Edited by BigStar

23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

He is no longer in ICU but remains unresponsive and has been moved to a private care facility. Thanks for your caring thoughts.

I wonder what has happened to the thugs that did this to the guy!

On 8/31/2024 at 11:46 AM, BigStar said:

Small business owners in Pattaya are notorious for poor-mouthing. Our ANF Barstool Pollsters talk to a few every high & low season, then pronounce the current season "the lowest ever" in the Perpetual Pattaya Death Spiral.

They are really wasting all their money on prostitutes. Then the lack of money is blamed on low tourism.

9 hours ago, JimTripper said:

They are really wasting all their money on prostitutes. Then the lack of money is blamed on low tourism.

Pattaya tourism isn't "low," year-on-year, but is doing quite well, recovering nicely from the COVID disaster. Most tourists spend no money on prostitutes. They do spend a lot on hotels, restos, and shopping in the malls.

Edited by BigStar

On 8/6/2024 at 1:04 AM, Baba Naba said:

Get the whole story before shooting your mouth off...  

"Tourist Police Division 4, Sub-Division 2, brought in Mr. Patipan So-Heng, a 28-year-old security guard from Soi Pattaya 6, for questioning at the Pattaya City Police Station's investigation room.

Mr. Patipan So-Heng, 28, spoke to reporters about the incident, explaining that he was informed by locals about a tourist attempting to break into a car. When the car owner confronted the tourist, the latter became aggressive. Mr. Patipan intervened to check the situation, but the tourist refused to cooperate and pushed him against a car. In response, Mr. Patipan pushed back. The tourist then tried to advance again, prompting Mr. Patipan to push him once more, causing the tourist to fall and hit his head on the ground.

Mr. Patipan stressed that eyewitnesses did not see the entire incident from the beginning and misunderstood the situation. He attempted to explain to the tourist, but the tourist ran away. Upon seeing news reports of the incident, Mr. Patipan contacted the police to clarify the events.

CCTV footage captured the altercation, clearly showing there was no punching involved, only pushing, which led to the tourist falling and injuring himself. The footage has been submitted to investigators as evidence to ensure fair proceedings for all parties involved.”

So the tourist deserved it. And yet we get the Thailand doomer headline 

• Agree 1

On 8/30/2024 at 1:51 PM, JimTripper said:

You are seething with hostility for the country that you are a guest in. You must not be having a good time yourself and should move away. What's stopping you ?

• Love It 1

18 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

You are seething with hostility for the country that you are a guest in. You must not be having a good time yourself and should move away. What's stopping you ?

Take a chill pill, man. You seem very angry.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, BigStar said:

Pattaya tourism isn't "low," year-on-year, but is doing quite well, recovering nicely from the COVID disaster. Most tourists spend no money on prostitutes. They do spend a lot on hotels, restos, and shopping in the malls.

I agree. We went for 2 nights/3 days for a function. My spending was on hotels, restaurants and shopping at malls. There was no time for hookers. Our best shopping results were at the Mike mall and we did better than in Bangkok. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/6/2024 at 2:04 PM, Baba Naba said:

Get the whole story before shooting your mouth off...  

I believe he is referring to another incident some time back and his comment is fair. Yours isn't.

On 9/4/2024 at 6:06 AM, jacko45k said:

I believe he is referring to another incident some time back and his comment is fair. Yours isn't.

So blaming and paint brushing any and all guards as corrupt in every situation before finding out what really went on is fair?