Weak water flow and pressure

eyz4eva

12 hours ago, eyz4eva said:

thanks for the explanation. i understand the 1st table, but not the 2nd graph.

btw, are you a experienced plumber yourself. you seems very knowledgeable and familiar with these technical know how.

anyway, im having 2nd thoughts on installing a full tank and pump system, as this house belongs to my wife, and we only come back once or twice a year. it was an impulse thoughts, when there was sudden interruption in the water supply. nonetheless, the issue of low water pressure remains. it would be another 15 to 20 years before i retire and decide to stay here permanently.

so i am currently considering getting just a pump to temporary mitigate the issue, something less than 2k baht, even if it breaks down while we are away.

what do you think? im currently looking at these automatic pump

https://oursuggest.com/best-automatic-water-pump/

Seriously ... but UP2U

It's annoying enough to post for solution.   Spend a few baht, and you have water & pressure every time you turn on the facet.  It can ba done as cheaply or expensive as you choose.

Super cheap, extreme native ... big trash can & scoop.   Many people who rent (self included) have that, for those days of low pressure.

Don't want to scoop, trash can & sump pump.  Make sure house is properly grounded.

Our village water was so low at one house, the first tank had to be in the ground, as not enough pressure to go up 2+ meters (tank height), as line to the house from the main was already on an upward pitch, and 100+ meters away.   Then it pumped from that tank, to the tank on the 2nd floor, in case the electric was out, then we at least had gravity feed.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2024 at 7:26 AM, KhunLA said:

Seriously ... but UP2U

It's annoying enough to post for solution.   Spend a few baht, and you have water & pressure every time you turn on the facet.  It can ba done as cheaply or expensive as you choose.

Super cheap, extreme native ... big trash can & scoop.   Many people who rent (self included) have that, for those days of low pressure.

Don't want to scoop, trash can & sump pump.  Make sure house is properly grounded.

Our village water was so low at one house, the first tank had to be in the ground, as not enough pressure to go up 2+ meters (tank height), as line to the house from the main was already on an upward pitch, and 100+ meters away.   Then it pumped from that tank, to the tank on the 2nd floor, in case the electric was out, then we at least had gravity feed.

thanks for giving me a piece of your mind.

my main consideration is whether the money will be worth my comfort and anything else. as i mentioned earlier, my wife and i come back to this home for vacation for only once or twice a year, so the pump and tank will be idling for most of the time. we will probably be shifting back here permanently in 15 to 20 years time.

also during my past 3 weeks of stay in the house, i realised there exist another issue, which i think calls for more immediate remedy.

the house is so warm even late into the evening, and the east facing wall are warm through the night. it was then i realised the house is not insulated against heat.

hence, i made the decision to insulate the ceiling instead, and carry on the trash can and scoop method for twice or thrice a day. it certainly make more sense, as we get to feel the difference throughout stay in the house, or extending the longevity of the furniture and appliances through the years.

my next home improvement next year would be getting form panel to install on the east facing wall. no idea why the east facing wall is having more trapped heat than the west facing wall.

IMG_20240817_093051.jpg

Edited by eyz4eva

3 minutes ago, eyz4eva said:

thanks for giving me a piece of your mind.

my main consideration is whether the money will be worth my comfort and anything else. as i mentioned earlier, my wife and i come back to this home for vacation for only once or twice a year, so the pump and tank will be idling for most of the time. we will probably be shifting back here permanently in 15 to 20 years time.

also during my past 3 weeks of stay in the house, i realised there exist another issue, which i think calls for more immediate rememdy.

the house is so warm even late into the evening, and the east facing wall are warm through the night. it was then i realised the house is well insulated against heat.

hence, i made the decision to insulate the ceiling instead, and carry on the trash can and scoop method for twice or thrice a day. it certainly make more sense, as we get to feel the difference throughout stay in the house, or extending the longevity of the furniture and appliances through the years.

my next home improvement next year would be getting form panel to install on the east facing wall. no idea why the east facing wall having more trapped heat than the west facing wall.

A mere 10k baht, (tank & pump) and that cheap enough for a comfy shower & water pressure every time you turn the faucet.  You could do it on the cheap for <1000 baht,   Simple trash can & sump pump 

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

A mere 10k baht, (tank & pump) and that cheap enough for a comfy shower & water pressure every time you turn the faucet.  You could do it on the cheap for <1000 baht,   Simple trash can & sump pump 

hehe the issue is that i dont find the comfy shower is worth it.

interesting proposal, ill go take a look at the sump pump method.

4 minutes ago, eyz4eva said:

hehe the issue is that i dont find the comfy shower is worth it.

interesting proposal, ill go take a look at the sump pump method.

And yet your OP is asking to improve water pressure ... go figure

Have a nice day

34 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

And yet your OP is asking to improve water pressure ... go figure

Have a nice day

yes sir. im apologise for not sticking to my OP after thorough consideration. i thank all those whom had contributed to the thread, and these contribution will not go to waste, as it will serve as notes for my future home improvement.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/10/2024 at 9:31 PM, eyz4eva said:

thanks for reminding. the video is actually quite informative.

anyway, got a plumber look at the area. he said the only cut he can make to connect the pump system will be at the gate, where the meter is, as there is no sight of any exposed water pipe. and he will have to run a 10 metre pipe to the backyard through the drainage where the pump and the tank will be installed. i thought this was quite ingenious as there will not be any exposed piping on the car porch or the side walkway.

from the tank >> pump, he will have to run another 10 to the front of the gate, and connect back to the main.

i am not sure the laying of back and forth (10 m from main to tank, 10 m from pump to main) will cause any dip in the pressure output by the pump.

any advice?

Running a pvc high pressure water supply pipe in a drain is susceptible to being chewed away by rats. 

You should pressure test your system to check for leaks.

On 8/17/2024 at 3:37 PM, brianthainess said:

Sorry haven't read all posts but make sure to fit a one way valve just after your meter to stop any run back. 3/4 pvc pipe is just fine. 

download(3).jpg.1c00f37ed2e45683829e88e153cea567.jpg

thanks. its already included in the system. however i am putting this project on hold, as i decided to insulate my roof.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, eyz4eva said:

thanks. its already included in the system. however i am putting this project on hold, as i decided to insulate my roof.

Is your home air-conditioned? 

Is there a ceiling, and if so, is there significant space between the roof and the ceiling? 

If there is significant space between the roof and ceiling vented? 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Is your home air-conditioned? 

Is there a ceiling, and if so, is there significant space between the roof and the ceiling? 

If there is significant space between the roof and ceiling vented? 

1) only the bedroom are installed with air conditioner, and one side of the wall is east facing, which can trap heat throughout the day.

2) yes, there is a false ceiling below the roof itself. when i checked the roof through the service duct, i realised that there was some aluminium sheet installed under the roof tiles.

3) the space is roughly 2m from the apex of the roof, decreasing towards the edges of the roof.

image.thumb.jpeg.8e3ac1edd56b4a2f6b9d4b34b415560f.jpeg

i got the 2 inch duroone 0.6 x 4m insulation wool from homeone and man, it did make significant difference to the temperature within the living area in the house.

however the east facing wall still trapped heat, so my next home improvement project is the insulate the wall.

Edited by eyz4eva

On 8/17/2024 at 4:08 PM, itsari said:

Running a pvc high pressure water supply pipe in a drain is susceptible to being chewed away by rats. 

You should pressure test your system to check for leaks.

oh thanks. didn't realise there might pose a problem of rat chewing into the pipe. thanks for the advice. i'll probably take note of that when i decide to install the pump system.

3 hours ago, eyz4eva said:

oh thanks. didn't realise there might pose a problem of rat chewing into the pipe. thanks for the advice. i'll probably take note of that when i decide to install the pump system.

You are welcome.

I saw evidence of rats chewing on my water supply pipe that was going through a section of drain. It had not gone all the way through but I changed that section anyway. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, itsari said:

You are welcome.

I saw evidence of rats chewing on my water supply pipe that was going through a section of drain. It had not gone all the way through but I changed that section anyway. 

great that you know how to do these on your own. i hope to hands on myself on how to install the pump system next time.

3 hours ago, eyz4eva said:

great that you know how to do these on your own. i hope to hands on myself on how to install the pump system next time.

I have put systems together before. I can send you a photo of my system if you would like.

I purchased a new pump about 2 years back as I have more bathrooms now. Works well. Grundfoss from Denmark 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, itsari said:

I have put systems together before. I can send you a photo of my system if you would like.

I purchased a new pump about 2 years back as I have more bathrooms now. Works well. Grundfoss from Denmark 

yes, please. no harm in getting more ideas on the variation of system.

are you having any filter installed in your system? i just noticed that there are some sandy sediment at the bottom of my tub. grundfoss is expensive stuff mate.

14 hours ago, eyz4eva said:

yes, please. no harm in getting more ideas on the variation of system.

are you having any filter installed in your system? i just noticed that there are some sandy sediment at the bottom of my tub. grundfoss is expensive stuff mate.

The filter and tank can be cleaned with this arrangement.

IMG_20240820_122624.jpg

IMG_20240820_122644.jpg

IMG_20240820_122658.jpg

1 minute ago, itsari said:

IMG_20240820_122624.jpg

IMG_20240820_122644.jpg

IMG_20240820_122658.jpg

We have 9 bathrooms and 7 kitchens therefore we need a high volume capacity pump.

We should have two tanks rather than one as we run the risk of the tank running out faster than what the supply from the mains can handle it all outlets became in use at the same time. Has not happened yet.

We had a smaller pump before and that supplied everything but lower pressure. That was a Hitachi. It was also noisy 

Worth checking the noise level before buying. 

On 8/20/2024 at 12:50 PM, itsari said:

We have 9 bathrooms and 7 kitchens therefore we need a high volume capacity pump.

We should have two tanks rather than one as we run the risk of the tank running out faster than what the supply from the mains can handle it all outlets became in use at the same time. Has not happened yet.

We had a smaller pump before and that supplied everything but lower pressure. That was a Hitachi. It was also noisy 

Worth checking the noise level before buying. 

On 8/20/2024 at 12:42 PM, itsari said:

IMG_20240820_122624.jpg

IMG_20240820_122644.jpg

IMG_20240820_122658.jpg

thanks mate for sharing. sorry for the late reply as was involved in a road accident and followed by religious retreat.

what is that filter and its purpose? i was checking out King Watsadu, and similar filter like this cost almost 5k baht. i checked online, this is likely a pre filter.

Screenshot_20240814_044755_com_google_android_youtube_MainActivity.thumb.jpg.f10b008293cb58aa12eee2105274f783.jpg

another qns i would like to ask, does polymer tank really prevent growth of algae and moss?

i have a black tub in my bathroom, moss and algae will grow in just a few days after cleaning. the bathroom is expose to little sunlight and is warmth most of the day.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Disappointed.......Currently researching prostate surgery options.

haha why are people here so amusing.

you can check out sub forum here.

Edited by eyz4eva
  • Haha 1

On 8/19/2024 at 10:31 AM, eyz4eva said:

1) only the bedroom are installed with air conditioner, and one side of the wall is east facing, which can trap heat throughout the day.

2) yes, there is a false ceiling below the roof itself. when i checked the roof through the service duct, i realised that there was some aluminium sheet installed under the roof tiles.

3) the space is roughly 2m from the apex of the roof, decreasing towards the edges of the roof.

image.thumb.jpeg.8e3ac1edd56b4a2f6b9d4b34b415560f.jpeg

i got the 2 inch duroone 0.6 x 4m insulation wool from homeone and man, it did make significant difference to the temperature within the living area in the house.

however the east facing wall still trapped heat, so my next home improvement project is the insulate the wall.

Looking at doing that......re: the wall.....what are you considering?

Hope you're on the mend and doing okay. 

If light does not get into tank, algae should not grow. 

For a pre-pump filter you might want something with a clear bowl and a reusable screen so as not to choke the pump. Something like this: 

Filter.png.68cfd3dfa804b1333b80582e269aeffe.png

WAVE PRE FILTER ตัวกรองน้ำ รับประกัน3เดือน ติดตั้งง่าย ประหยัด ตัวกรองน้ำใช้ขั้นต้น ครบชุดพร้อมติดตั้ง ตัวกรองครบชุด | Lazada.co.th

Never install a filter without a bypass. 

3 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Looking at doing that......re: the wall.....what are you considering?

For an exterior wall that gets sun, shading it will help a good bit. 

35 minutes ago, eyz4eva said:

thanks mate for sharing. sorry for the late reply as was involved in a road accident and followed by religious retreat.

what is that filter and its purpose? i was checking out King Watsadu, and similar filter like this cost almost 5k baht. i checked online, this is likely a pre filter.

Screenshot_20240814_044755_com_google_android_youtube_MainActivity.thumb.jpg.f10b008293cb58aa12eee2105274f783.jpg

another qns i would like to ask, does polymer tank really prevent growth of algae and moss?

i have a black tub in my bathroom, moss and algae will grow in just a few days after cleaning. the bathroom is expose to little sunlight and is warmth most of the day.

Polymer tanks minimise the chance of moss and algae growth. I think it helps to keep the tank free of direct sunlight if possible.

I hope all is well after your accident.

On 8/6/2024 at 10:16 PM, eyz4eva said:

I'm at Sisaket, one of the ampher, where the water pressure is kinda low.

I am thinking of installing a water pressure tank with a motorised pump to increase the water pressure in the house. Here are some info on the pipeline system pressure.

The water meter is at the gate, and the tap which is beside this water meter has the highest flow. There are altogether:-

3 outdoor water point

• 1 tap at the gate (strong) ------ despite strong flow from the tap, the spray pressure is average when i installed a high pressure water spray gun (non-motorised).
  • 1 tap at the car porch (ok)
  • 1 tap at the rear of the house for laundry (meh)

3 indoor water point

• 1 master bedroom toilet with 1 shower, 1 basin and 1 toilet bowl (dripping)
  • 1 common toilet with 1 shower, 1 basin and 1 toilet bowl (meh)
  • 1 kitchen basin (meh)

my main concern is the water pressure in both the toilet, as there is not enough pressure for a good shower using the shower head.

There are only 2 adults living in the house most of the time.

So my questions,

1. Which part of the pipeline system should I install the pressure tank? I had checked through the house and can't really find any water exposed pipe, nor it is in the drainage system. The only visible pipeline is at the main.
  2. How many HP should I get for the pump? I saw a promo previously at King Concrete selling a set of 1 HP 370 Watt pump and 1000 L tank for 4000 baht.

The staff was telling me that it is only able to give enough pressure to 1 toilet. But I am not too convinced with his advice.

Hope someone can advice.

1 HP is 740 Watt. 370 Watt, 1/2 HP is not enough.

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

For an exterior wall that gets sun, shading it will help a good bit. 

We have planted some Korean Banyan trees but was also was considering plastic planking on the walls that get really hot.....is that feasible...crazy?