American father reunites with Thai daughter after 48 years apart

webfact

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

My wife often asks why I married her, I am 60 she is 46. I told her that in old age i need someone to clean my bottom when I am too old and demented to do it myself. I feel this guy has reunited to take care of him in old age - poor girl

RC, the romantic guy!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

I genuinely do not understand. How is he the father?

Bro, if some random American guy flew in claiming to be my father and was supplying me and half the village with boxes of Chang and barbecues for the next few weeks, I'd be hugging him with a tear in my eye for a photoshoot too. ☺️

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

first words spoken to father from her

where u come from?

how long u stay thailand?

you speak thai?

you have thai lady?

you buy me iphone...

I read that, as you have bad experiences, or that you promote incest.

• Confused 2

How is this guy the father? He's not. He was getting his leg over with the child's mother for a year after the real father disappeared and whilst doing so enjoyed  helping to take care of a cute baby. That's it.

Why he has appeared after 48 years and why the girl wants to see him is slightly puzzling. The cynic in me......

• Sad 2
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, BobBKK said:

He was not the real father so not sure about this article. Better to chase the scumbag who made her pregnant.

Yeah totally misleading, seems was just a bloke who fell in love with a women who was already pregnant then left after 1 year, so wasn't the father and didn't raise her either, then left.

So what's the point in it all.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm pretty sure that it takes two "scumbags" to create a pregnancy.

No. It takes a man and a woman. The only problem is that many men will leave after the baby is born, or soon thereafter. A woman that's pregnant by a man that leaves isn't a scumbag. Naive maybe, but many men are players, and this still hasn't gotten girls to think before they act, even though generations have taught them to wait before having sex, preferably after marriage.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, KannikaP said:

He f..ked off back to the USA when the kid was one year old.

Yes, so my thinking is yes, he helped the mom for a year, then went back home. Tried to contact from what time to now? Internet wasn't available back then so of course he had to try other methods, which is hard because with you not being in country, how do you find someone? Facebook started in 2004, and you can find people easily if they're using it. Internet searching before that was possible but birth records aren't easy to see unless you're here. 1982 is when birth records came into the system here, so he could have found them then, possibly. It's nice he got into contact with her, no matter how late, because everyone wants a history of people who care, if only a little. Her father obviously didn't, so now she has something, which isn't bad.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Thank you for taking the time to offer an explanation. Technically  then, he is not the father. He was just a caregiver who acted as a father figure for 1 year. Admirable and all that, but in the absence of an adoption he is not the father, nor should he be called a father. 

Yeah, all seems a bit creepyish.

Maybe the mother remarried since and somebody else brought her up.

Some bloke turning up who the mother was with for no longer than 2 years 40 odd years ago, for me is creepy.

End of the day a women you fall in love with or marry who has a kid already they are a package, as soon as you split with the mother you finish with the kid.

Brutal and unfair but that's the way it is in my book.

Edited by 2008bangkok

1 hour ago, 2008bangkok said:

Yeah, all seems a bit creepyish.

Maybe the mother remarried since and somebody else brought her up.

Some bloke turning up who the mother was with for no longer than 2 years 40 odd years ago, for me is creepy.

End of the day a women you fall in love with or marry who has a kid already they are a package, as soon as you split with the mother you finish with the kid.

Brutal and unfair but that's the way it is in my book.

If you build a bond with your stepchild, then divorce, it's still your obligation to continue to have a relationship with that stepchild, if they want one.  Kids need all the love they can get, and when a stepdad makes an effort to love that child, the child will never forget it. They might be the only real parent the child has.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

If you build a bond with your stepchild, then divorce, it's still your obligation to continue to have a relationship with that stepchild, if they want one.  Kids need all the love they can get, and when a stepdad makes an effort to love that child, the child will never forget it. They might be the only real parent the child has.

Staying with a mother and baby until 1 year old is admirable, it's not father is it, they won't even remember the interaction.

And like the article says, he then left, now you cannot do that as a real Dad can you

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Staying with a mother and baby until 1 year old is admirable, it's not father is it, they won't even remember the interaction.

And like the article says, he then left, now you cannot do that as a real Dad can you

Leaving children you made and not taking responsibility of those children until they can fend for themselves, makes you a sperm donor. Kids will always know who loves them, and who is faking it. This man helped for a year, which is okay, as it wasn't his responsibility. A man who wants to be a dad stays. His agenda lied elsewhere. Not wanting to stay here is a reason, as well as family back home. Coming back now is just a friend of the moms. The girl and this man can have a relationship any way they want.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Leaving children you made and not taking responsibility of those children until they can fend for themselves, makes you a sperm donor. Kids will always know who loves them, and who is faking it. This man helped for a year, which is okay, as it wasn't his responsibility. A man who wants to be a dad stays. His agenda lied elsewhere. Not wanting to stay here is a reason, as well as family back home. Coming back now is just a friend of the moms. The girl and this man can have a relationship any way they want.

The real Gs are those who haven't missed a day in 26 years and counting.

22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm pretty sure that it takes two "scumbags" to create a pregnancy.

Typically one scumbag has the financial upper hand here, bro, and often takes no responsibility - but I'd expect that answer from you.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

He f..ked off back to the USA when the kid was one year old.

Perhaps his posting to Thailand finished and he was posted elsewhere.

Perhaps his service commitment had expired and he was sent back to the USA and given an honourable discharge.

Both are far more reasonable explanations than yours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

If you are in the military, and you get posted elsewhere, you go where you are sent. It is not as if you get a choice in the matter.

51 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Perhaps his posting to Thailand finished and he was posted elsewhere.

Perhaps his service commitment had expired and he was sent back to the USA and given an honourable discharge.

Both are far more reasonable explanations than yours.

And then it took him all this time to get in contact. Perhaps a better explanation is that he didn't want to.

The internet has been with us for over 25 years,

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

And then it took him all this time to get in contact. Perhaps a better explanation is that he didn't want to.

How do you KNOW what happened during that time period or do you know any of the family?

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

You are assuming that both the American and the Thai both have access to the internet. That both of them know who they are looking for, and where to find people on the internet.

A bold and a very broad assumption.

And yes I know that the internet has been around a long time. I was drive testing mobile  handoffs in Germany in 1999, but the internet was not very large back then, nor was it that good.

The internet requires a large amount of bandwidth and a large amount of ground cabling plus underwater trans oceanic cabling. 25 years ago the internet was quite small and clunky and it still cannot keep up with demands even now.

All it takes is one boat to rip up even 1 undersea cable and links simply die for hours or days until it can be repaired.

2 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Letters?

OK if the Thai lady can read English or read at all. Someone would need to translate for her as she may have dropped out of school when when she was young.

How fluent are you at reading and writing in Thai. I am certainly not.

It is easy to lose contact with people and easier still if you are 2 different nationalities, 2 different languages and even 2 completely different language structures.