Is this plan of action ok.

I am planning to return to Thailand for retirement towards the middle of September and this is my plan of action, however if anyone sees any flaws in it please tell me.

1. I am depositing the equivalent of 1m baht into my  Siam CB account by transfer from my Lloyds Bank account tomorrow.

2. when I arrive in Thailand I will get 60 days visa exempt stamp in my passport.

3. About 20 days from the expiration of the 60 days I will attend Khon Kaen immigration office armed with relevant documents and apply for a non immigrant O visa which will then give me another 90 days.

4. About 20 days before the non O expiry date I will apply for 1 year extension of stay based on retirement by which time I will not allow my account to drop below 800k baht. 

It seems simple enough to me but have I missed anything obvious that could cause a problem to this plan?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, timendres said:

#1 - Be sure to get the "Credit Advice" document from the bank originating the transfer to Thailand. This is the document that shows the originating bank's initiation of the transfer. When you arrive in Thailand, go to SCB bank and get the same "Credit Advice" document from them, showing the receipt of the transfer. Chaeng Watthana wanted both of these documents when I applied using the deposit method. Not sure if KK will require both, but almost certainly one of them.

#4 - You need to keep that balance above 800k until at least 3 months after you get your retirement extension. But I suspect you already knew that.

I don't think that is a legal  immigration requirement, but you never know as it differs from office to office 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tod Daniels said:

Unless you come from a country whose embassy here issues the affidavit of income from abroad notary letter ( which the UK, the US, and Australia no longer do) you cannot use monthly income to get the 90 day Non-O visa or get the first year extension 2 months after that

you can only use the monthly income by 65k baht a month transfers for the SECOND year of your yearly extension.

The rule is you need to transfer in 65K baht a month, each month, every month for the previous 12 months.

So in year ONE, you must have both 800k in the bank AND transfer 65k per month as an International Transfer. I guess that 3 months after being granted an Extension, you can take 400k away until 2 months before renewal.

Who is confused by my question please?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

So in year ONE, you must have both 800k in the bank AND transfer 65k per month as an International Transfer. I guess that 3 months after being granted an Extension, you can take 400k away until 2 months before renewal.

Who is confused by my question please?

I am not sure if you actually need to put the 800k back before the second renewal.

I think that if you keep it above 400k throughout the year, and you are using the income method for the second year, then you have met the requirements set out by the deposit method used for the first year - balance maintained above 400k. Since you are then using the income method for the second year, and you have proof of your monthly deposits, then I believe you will not need to have the full 800k in your account at renewal time.

I plan to do this next year, but I have never done this, so it would be better if someone who has can confirm.

5 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

Make sure once you're here to go over to Khon Kaen and get the hand out listing the requirements for the in country 90 day Non-O visa (which costs 2000baht). 

Do Khon Kaen have special requirements for non-O conversions for retirement which differ from those detailed in the official Immigration Bureau version set out in the link below (I'm not aware that they do)?

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

Edited by OJAS

13 hours ago, KannikaP said:

If you want to use the 65k per month method, when exactly should that start please?

Start your own thread. Piggy backing on someone's thread dilutes their issue.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

No reason to wait until 20 days before the visa exempt entry expires.  Just go shortly after arrival and start the process to ensure there is plenty of time in case there is an issue with anything.  Also when you get the Non-O they can do the extension based on retirement immediately after.  This is the typical process at Jomtien immigration.  Note the retirement extension is timed to start at the end of the Non-O 90 day expiration even though all done as part of the same filing process.  It is beneficial to have the all these visas approved as it supports the Residency Certificate which is necessary for drivers licenses, buying car or motorbike, etc.  Again, no need to wait as the earlier the better in processing the visa changes. 

2 hours ago, jimn said:

Start your own thread. Piggy backing on someone's thread dilutes their issue.

Please say this to all the other members who replied to my 65k question, thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

If you apply for the first year using the 800K method, the terms state you will follow the 800K / 400K rule for the duration that year.  You would not need to "top up" to 800K again, to apply for the Year Two application, if you have a full year of qualifying bank-xfers. 

Just remember - miss a monthly-transfer by one minute, and it's agent-time, even if you are transferring 2x+ the minimum required.

So yes, at some point in Year One, you have got 800k in the bank to satisfy that Year's requirement, and you are sending 65k per month getting ready for Year Two. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Qman said:

Just go shortly after arrival and start the process to ensure there is plenty of time in case there is an issue with anything.  Also when you get the Non-O they can do the extension based on retirement immediately after

The OP indicated 20 days early and that is plenty to allow for any slip up

When the non O and 90 day permission of stay is given the normal process is to apply as early as 30 days remaining and 45 at some offices. 

Agents do it in one hit. OP is not using an agent.

The plan he outlines is sound..

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, timendres said:

I am not sure if you actually need to put the 800k back before the second renewal.

I think that if you keep it above 400k throughout the year, and you are using the income method for the second year, then you have met the requirements set out by the deposit method used for the first year - balance maintained above 400k. Since you are then using the income method for the second year, and you have proof of your monthly deposits, then I believe you will not need to have the full 800k in your account at renewal time.

I plan to do this next year, but I have never done this, so it would be better if someone who has can confirm.

Does the Bank method not require you to have 800/400/800 for 3/7/2 months to satisfy that year's requirement. 

Just now, KannikaP said:

So yes, at some point in Year One, you have got 800k in the bank to satisfy that Year's requirement, and you are sending 65k per month getting ready for Year Two. 

Exactly what I'm currently in process of doing.

Using funds in bank method and from date of last extension have been making monthly deposits of 65k+

Just now, KannikaP said:

Does the Bank method not require you to have 800/400/800 for 3/7/2 months to satisfy that year's requirement. 

Some suggest 800/400/400 is all that required.

As a "cover all bases" I'm planning on doing 800/400/800.

The reason being that if any issue with income method (,eg pension certificate) etc.,..then I have fall back option of continue with funds in bank method

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Exactly what I'm currently in process of doing.

Using funds in bank method and from date of last extension have been making monthly deposits of 65k+

A PITA, but that's what the rules say.

Ask your IO if they accept the Combination for year 2. At Phitsanulok I keep 400k in the bank and transfer 35k per month, totalling 820k = OK.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Some suggest 800/400/400 is all that required.

As a "cover all bases" I'm planning on doing 800/400/800.

The reason being that if any issue with income method (,eg pension certificate) etc.,..then I have fall back option of continue with funds in bank method

Those who suggest 800/400/400 are WRONG, and may find out when trying to renew their Extension. 

Only way to be sure is to ask your nice I Officer.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Those who suggest 800/400/400 are WRONG

From another thread asking about changing from money in bank method to income method here is a cut and paste post from ubonjoe.

"You will need to keep the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months after you apply for your curren extension and then 400k baht until you apply for your next extension using the 65k baht income option."

17 hours ago, Issanraider said:

I am planning to return to Thailand for retirement towards the middle of September and this is my plan of action, however if anyone sees any flaws in it please tell me.

1. I am depositing the equivalent of 1m baht into my  Siam CB account by transfer from my Lloyds Bank account tomorrow.

2. when I arrive in Thailand I will get 60 days visa exempt stamp in my passport.

3. About 20 days from the expiration of the 60 days I will attend Khon Kaen immigration office armed with relevant documents and apply for a non immigrant O visa which will then give me another 90 days.

4. About 20 days before the non O expiry date I will apply for 1 year extension of stay based on retirement by which time I will not allow my account to drop below 800k baht. 

It seems simple enouYough to me but have I missed anything obvious that could cause

a problem to this plan?

37 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

From another thread asking about changing from money in bank method to income method here is a cut and paste post from ubonjoe.

"You will need to keep the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months after you apply for your curren extension and then 400k baht until you apply for your next extension using the 65k baht income option."

You must already have 12 x 65k to re-new an Extension in Year 2. So I guess this means you APPLY for Year 2 three months before Year 1 expires.

Is the date you APPLY or the date the Extension is GRANTED which matters. 

Edited by KannikaP

11 hours ago, OJAS said:

Do Khon Kaen have special requirements for non-O conversions for retirement which differ from those detailed in the official Immigration Bureau version set out in the link below (I'm not aware that they do)?

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

All IO run their offices different and make up their own rules. And the fee for a retirement extension is 1,900b not 2k as your link suggests, unless I read it wrong.

Check out the list needed from Trat IO + they do a home visit, and of course there is always the last one on the list, Any Other Documents the officer may require.

TRAT I O

1227268801_RETIREVISA(2).JPG.94d6d3c322b25b6386ce6f7c4b94f438.thumb.jpg.280c5ca1c02069870862adb9d598a473.jpg

• Confused 1

Do not bother with 65K / month income.  Use 800K in the bank and keep that untouched as an emergency fund for absolute last resort needs.

Once you have the money in your bank for the required time, no fuss.  Bank should be familiar with this and know exactly what documents you need.  Then hassle with proof of income.  You just get a statement from the bank to take to I/O when you are doing retirement visa extension. Can all be done at your local branch, so no need fro any trip to BKK for Embassy documents.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

All IO run their offices different and make up their own rules. And the fee for a retirement extension is 1,900b not 2k as your link suggests, unless I read it wrong.

Check out the list needed from Trat IO + they do a home visit, and of course there is always the last one on the list, Any Other Documents the officer may require.

TRAT I O

1227268801_RETIREVISA(2).JPG.94d6d3c322b25b6386ce6f7c4b94f438.thumb.jpg.280c5ca1c02069870862adb9d598a473.jpg

That list and your comments relate to annual extensions of stay for retirement. Whereas I am referring to conversions of latest visa-exempt/tourist visa entries into single-entry 90-day non-immigrant "O" visas for retirement. Completely separate animals.