The Rise of Cats and Madness: Do you keep cats in your house?

4 hours ago, Jerzy Swirski said:

Damn, I thought I was going to win easily with 16 cats but you make me look like an amateur.

I also built a cathouse and fenced off part of the garden so they have plenty of room to wander freely.

It's not so easy to herd cats, once you have more than 10.

So, all is probably equal, after that...

7 hours ago, No Forwarding Address said:

Cats don;t at mosquitos and biting rice fly’s, lizards do………..I would like to know if there is a way to attract more lizards to keep the mosquito population down………Cheers

I know an old lady…

We have 12 rescue cats (had more but they died).Have to keep them in the house and garden because some nasty old lady was poisoning them

(eating her chickens ?).

My thai wife and her mom often rescue street cats and find homes for them on facebook cat groups.

Also spent quite a bit taking injured street cats to the vet (had 2 who lost a leg).

Nice to hear other members taking care of so many (wow 60 😀).

• Love It 1

16 hours ago, brianthainess said:

How very sad to keep cats caged or any animal come to that.

There is always one who would think that rescuing cats, looking after their health and feeding them is sad.

The cats are normally only in the cages overnight, somewhere safe for them to sleep. We have about 10 dogs and they have very poor eyesight at the best of times, in the dark anything that moves is a target.

19 hours ago, renaissanc said:

My wife and I look after 25 rescued cats and have done so for 5 years. They are very quiet at night and are happy to have a safe place to sleep on soft beds. A cat sleeps next to my wife and me every night, maybe even 2 cats. We've never got ill from having the cats. 4 sleep in the main part of the house, 19 in the Cats Room, and 2 in very large cages outside because they prefer to stay there.

Bet your house stinks!

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

There is always one who would think that rescuing cats, looking after their health and feeding them is sad.

The cats are normally only in the cages overnight, somewhere safe for them to sleep. We have about 10 dogs and they have very poor eyesight at the best of times, in the dark anything that moves is a target.

10 Dogs ! I bet your neighbors love that, Where I live you are only allowed 5 dogs per house, even that is 3 to many IMO.

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

10 Dogs ! I bet your neighbors love that, Where I live you are only allowed 5 dogs per house, even that is 3 to many IMO.

Far too many cats and dogs everywhere unfortunately. At one time we used to bury the corpses we found poisoned in our garden with foam at their mouths. It became so frequent, and too much effort, especially when the earth was hard.  We now use a suitable shovel and catapult them over walls etc. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Don't worry. 

We knew that the cages were for safety at night. 

But my question was... 

At night, how do you herd 60 cats, all at the same time, in order to get them in their beds before midnight.. 

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Most likely, living on a farm is different from living in a condo with 60 cats and 10 dogs. 

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

There are 3 houses on the property, that would give us 15 by your reckoning, been close to that at times.

The dogs have also come off the street, maybe you would prefer they were left there rather than fed and vaccinated.

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

At night, how do you herd 60 cats, all at the same time, in order to get them in their beds before midnight.. 

About 4pm they all come and sit around near the cages waiting to be fed, the food is put in the cages and they just follow, know where to go.

Now and again one or two may have to be rounded up.

We had one disappear for about 2 years, there were reports of it living rough around the village and then one day it just decided to came back. Think it was looking for help, died not long after.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1