Mai Sai border run

On 8/19/2024 at 8:45 AM, Tomtomtom69 said:

98% of the country is largely westerner-free, which proves that Thais are getting by just fine on their own.

Like then police dept, highway dept, DLT which all operate without any flaws as they are 98% westerner-free....

Comedy gold.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Like then police dept, highway dept, DLT which all operate without any flaws as they are 98% westerner-free....

Comedy gold.

Police departments and the DLT are 100% devoid of western employees. We are in Thailand after all and this isn't a multicultural country. Westerners are guests. 

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Many multinationals

How would you know are you in IT here or have any experience with Businesses in Thailand other than bars and restaurants?

Work in offices and partly from home, Not nomads as they work for a company and are settled here. 

Where? The odd foreigner aside, it's mostly Thai men working in IT and I would know well, my wife works in IT (where women are a rarity) and her department only has one farang who happens to be one of her bosses.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

Where? The odd foreigner aside, it's mostly Thai men working in IT and I would know well, my wife works in IT (where women are a rarity) and her department only has one farang who happens to be one of her bosses.

You know well because your wife work at one company, great diverse information there.

What part of "Many multinationals" didn't you understand?

20 years ago, a rarity, not anymore.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Mae Sai border was the best, quick to get to from Chiang Mai, only 500 THB fee, could pick up bottles of alcohol for 35% of the price back in Thailand for the premium end brands.

This new rule with the Chiang Khong - Huay Xai border requiting an over night stay just ruins it, , so now that border run chews up 3 days and costs around 5500 THB (Visa run agents 2500, Visa 2000, and cheap accoomodation 1000), may as well just do a flight to Malaysia and can come back the same day for less money. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

Rofl. No, you're an entitled farang who believes you're better than Thais who you believe are poor, and that your tiny pension is keeping the country afloat.

You are a callous xenophobe who doesn't care that multiple Thais lose their jobs, for each of us driven out.  It is clear their lives don't matter to you at all. 

5 hours ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

Why then are you advocating that foreigners be allowed to abuse the tourist visa exemption scheme?

No one is "abusing" anything - unless you mean those from neighboring countries who work here illegally - driving down wages and opportunities for Thais. 

Oh, that's right, you don't care about actual Thai lives - just some zoomed-out version of "economy" which doesn't include many of them. 

I'm glad at least some in govt do care about creating more jobs for Thais via foreign-spending, which is why they are reversing their counter-productive "crackdown" policies.  Let's see if the Immigration dept will continue to cooperate in this.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

Where? Lots is unlikely. The ones who are in IT are working remotely and are thus classified as digital nomads.

Most of those in IT departments of BOI businesses, in my experience.  Thais are welcome and have the skills, but seem to prefer not to have to communicate in English on a regular basis, so they move on to Thai companies. 

Most of the foreigners in those departments did not have English as their native language either, but is the common-language used.

On 8/26/2024 at 2:12 PM, Tomtomtom69 said:

Police departments and the DLT are 100% devoid of western employees.

I'm aware of that, my point is that you state:

"98% of the country is largely westerner-free, which proves that Thais are getting by just fine on their own."

I have suggested 2 departments ( of many i'm sure ), do you thinking these  are getting by just fine?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, wisemonkey said:

may as well just do a flight to Malaysia and can come back the same day for less money. 

Flying direct means at least one night there due to the times of the flights.

4,200THB return. 

Indirect flights are in the 6-10 hour range. 

3 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Really?

3 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Flying direct means at least one night there due to the times of the flights.

4,200THB return. 

Indirect flights are in the 6-10 hour range. 

Yes , and the land boarder takes 3 days and costs around 5500 THB (Visa run agents 2500, Visa 2000, and cheap accoomodation 1000),

On 8/27/2024 at 3:31 PM, PJ71 said:

I'm aware of that, my point is that you state:

"98% of the country is largely westerner-free, which proves that Thais are getting by just fine on their own."

I have suggested 2 departments ( of many i'm sure ), do you thinking these  are getting by just fine?

Yes, because the point is, the vast majority of this country has never had dealings with farang, has very few farang residents and they're clearly able to keep their heads afloat. 

It's a different story in tourism dependent areas such as Samui, Phangan, Pattaya and Phuket of course.

2 hours ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

Yes, because the point is, the vast majority of this country has never had dealings with farang, has very few farang residents and they're clearly able to keep their heads afloat. 

It's a different story in tourism dependent areas such as Samui, Phangan, Pattaya and Phuket of course.

Those being locations where millions of Thais from other parts of the country travel to live and get better employment opportunities. 

With exports / manufacturing slowing - another sector where rural Thais have historically sought a higher standard of living - the authorities are relaxing the rules, to allow more foreigners to stay / spend money here, to make up the lost opportunities in other sectors.

That said, I am a huge fan of King IX's work to make self-sustaining lives possible in rural areas.  It is a beautiful thing to see people able to preserve their livelihoods in their local communities.  I hope development in this area is increased, to provide another option for rural Thai people.  In this effort, Farangs are also often contributing partners - providing experience in agricultural / livestock sciences and marketing, together with local Thai partners.

• Haha 1

On 9/2/2024 at 2:32 PM, Rob Browder said:

Those being locations where millions of Thais from other parts of the country travel to live and get better employment opportunities. 

With exports / manufacturing slowing - another sector where rural Thais have historically sought a higher standard of living - the authorities are relaxing the rules, to allow more foreigners to stay / spend money here, to make up the lost opportunities in other sectors.

That said, I am a huge fan of King IX's work to make self-sustaining lives possible in rural areas.  It is a beautiful thing to see people able to preserve their livelihoods in their local communities.  I hope development in this area is increased, to provide another option for rural Thai people.  In this effort, Farangs are also often contributing partners - providing experience in agricultural / livestock sciences and marketing, together with local Thai partners.

Farang aren't allowed to work in agriculture. It's a restricted occupation.