Just watched the news on TV that is in OZ's vitamins called (another name)  are infused with drugs. I guess it is OK for adults to make their choice to consume drugs but I found it very concerning. Why do kids get involved with drugs?

• Confused 6

15 hours ago, still kicking said:

Just watched the news on TV that is in OZ's vitamins called (another name)  are infused with drugs. I guess it is OK for adults to make their choice to consume drugs but I found it very concerning. Why do kids get involved with drugs?

They can be fun ... if used responsibly.  Depends on the age of the kids and intelligence level.  I was doing drugs at about 14 yr old I think.   

Some daily, some weekly, some monthly, some yearly, now, not even once a month.  At times, yearly breaks from some drugs, as simply boring or energy/motivation sapping.

Treat it as a hobby, and no issues.   Very hard for most people though, and most fail miserably.   Why they all should be illegal, including alcohol & tobacco ... IMHO

Edited by KhunLA

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

They can be fun ... if used responsibly.  Depends on the age of the kids and intelligence level.  I was doing drugs at about 14 yr old I think.   

Some daily, some weekly, some monthly, some yearly, now, not even once a month.  At times, yearly breaks from some drugs, as simply boring or energy/motivation sapping.

Treat it as a hobby, and no issues.   Very hard for most people though, and most fail miserably.   Why they all should be illegal, including alcohol & tobacco ... IMHO

Yes, hobby of spending days in the hospital?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, still kicking said:

Yes, hobby of spending days in the hospital?

Maybe you shouldn't have done so much :coffee1:

Did you not see this part of my post ... "if used responsibly"

Just now, KhunHeineken said:

OP, when are you actually visiting Thailand again? 

Yes, I will be in Ratchaburi again next month to check on my property. Yes I live in OZ but still have Thai family and friends in Thailand and being married to my Thai wife for 21 years

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2024 at 5:06 PM, still kicking said:

Yes, I will be in Ratchaburi again next month to check on my property. Yes I live in OZ but still have Thai family and friends in Thailand and being married to my Thai wife for 21 years

That's a sound financial move, buying a property in Ratchaburi Thailand, but living in Australia.  :cheesy:

On 8/14/2024 at 6:00 PM, still kicking said:

Why do kids get involved with drugs?

I learned that it was more likely kids outside of cities who get involved with drugs because they are bored. They have more to amuse themselves with in a city. 

On 8/15/2024 at 9:28 AM, KhunLA said:

I take the opposite view. Legalize everything, with the sole caveat committing a crime under the influence, gets treated as if the perpetrator were not.

Police in Australia have said they can't arrest their way out of the meth problem. How many billions has the US spent on its war on drugs? What progress have they made?

Making drugs legal accomplishes two things. It removes the criminal element, and the drugs should be safer because there is no longer profit in adulterating them.

The data from countries who legalize drugs indicates crime rates are reduced substantially, because addicts no longer have to resort to crime to feed their habit.

Just as there are functioning alcoholics, I am fairly sure there are functioning drug addicts.

It's ironic, actually. Alcohol and tobacco are legal, yet AFAIK they are the only two substances given the status of Class 1 carcinogens.

24 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I learned that it was more likely kids outside of cities who get involved with drugs because they are bored. They have more to amuse themselves with in a city. 

It's all relative. 

City kids have more money, so the class of drugs they are involved with is different for them.

The drugs ARE the "amusement" and it's not based on geographic location. 

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I take the opposite view. Legalize everything,

Weren't you the one that said Thailand would NEVER legalize cannabis?  :smile:

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Police in Australia have said they can't arrest their way out of the meth problem.

No, but incarceration protects the community.  It just cost money.  Money that state governments are not prepared to spend.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

How many billions has the US spent on its war on drugs? What progress have they made?

A lot of cheap "black" labor in privatized prisons.  That's what they have achieved. 

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Making drugs legal accomplishes two things. It removes the criminal element, and the drugs should be safer because there is no longer profit in adulterating them.

Correct.  However, it's not politically correct to be seen to be legalizing drugs, despite alcohol and tobacco killing more citizens than all illicit drugs combined. 

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The data from countries who legalize drugs indicates crime rates are reduced substantially, because addicts no longer have to resort to crime to feed their habit.

Correct, but insurance companies and other industries don't like this.  They lose money, so they "donate" and "lobby" governments to keep the status quo. 

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Just as there are functioning alcoholics, I am fairly sure there are functioning drug addicts.

Kieth Richards from The Rolling Stones s a prime example.  :smile:

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's ironic, actually. Alcohol and tobacco are legal, yet AFAIK they are the only two substances given the status of Class 1 carcinogens.

Australia, and I am sure many other countries, rely on the tax revenue from these legal drugs, despite both drugs killing a lot of people.  Not to mention, the anti-social behavior alcohol causes. 

Funny how governments can "spin" the truth when company interests and tax revenue is involved.  :smile: