Laos Visa Price? Us$ And Baht Prices

jt936

It is dependant on what country you are from.

Example - US & UK - $35, Oz $30, Canada $42

Don't turn up with Baht as they'll happily over charge you - i.e. instead of $35 you'll pay 1500baht (i.e. $45).

Change your money at a bank prior to arrival.

I just went to Laos on the 24th (from Nong Khai to Vientiane). I was charged 1,850 baht for the visa, plus the "entry" fee.

What's up with that ? You have to pay for a visa to get into the country, and an "entry" fee. And when you leave, you have to pay an "exit" fee to get out again.

I just went to Laos on the 24th (from Nong Khai to Vientiane). I was charged 1,850 baht for the visa, plus the "entry" fee.

What's up with that ? You have to pay for a visa to get into the country, and an "entry" fee. And when you leave, you have to pay an "exit" fee to get out again.

Entry Fee???? That's a new one on me! Sounds like someones taken you for a bit of a ride!

I make a journey at least once maybe twice a month into Thailand and back to Laos again and I've never paid an 'entry fee'. You didn't get tapped up by an agent did you? I've seen people being assisted in filled out the visa forms (something I do not understand why people need help with this!) so maybe it's them?

Entry Fee???? That's a new one on me! Sounds like someones taken you for a bit of a ride!

I make a journey at least once maybe twice a month into Thailand and back to Laos again and I've never paid an 'entry fee'. You didn't get tapped up by an agent did you? I've seen people being assisted in filled out the visa forms (something I do not understand why people need help with this!) so maybe it's them?

Last time I went to Laos (Savannakhet SP?) surly guy a t the window took 1700b off me (and a couple of other European nationals queuing up with me).

The entry/exit fees were 20b and 40b to the guy that stamps your passport. I have heard of people refusing but some of us can't be bothered to make a fuss about small sums.

Oh, what a timely thread. i was in Vientiane a couple of weeks ago and failed to exchange my baht for dollars prior to entering Lao. They WILL ###### you on the exchange. As "technocracy says "Don't turn up with Baht as they'll happily over charge you - i.e. instead of $35 you'll pay 1500baht (i.e. $45). "

They've been running that "entrance fee" scam awhile now, and the "exit fee" is newer. I've never paid either but it still made a big problen for me anyhow this last visit. My gf made a big scene about not paying the 20 baht because she thought they'd take us to jail. I told her to ignore it and she came unhinged with visions of communist gulags. So, I went to pay it and I got a "baw bpen yuang" for my trouble and no charge. Took her about an hour to calm down and apologize.

Oh, what a timely thread. i was in Vientiane a couple of weeks ago and failed to exchange my baht for dollars prior to entering Lao. They WILL ###### you on the exchange. As "technocracy says "Don't turn up with Baht as they'll happily over charge you - i.e. instead of $35 you'll pay 1500baht (i.e. $45). "

They've been running that "entrance fee" scam awhile now, and the "exit fee" is newer. I've never paid either but it still made a big problen for me anyhow this last visit. My gf made a big scene about not paying the 20 baht because she thought they'd take us to jail. I told her to ignore it and she came unhinged with visions of communist gulags. So, I went to pay it and I got a "baw bpen yuang" for my trouble and no charge. Took her about an hour to calm down and apologize.

Like I say never encountered the 'entrance fee' or an 'exit fee' the only extras that you should be paying is if your taking a vehicle in or out you need to pay small leves each of the borders.

But as lannarebirth re-iterates make sure you change your money to dollar. Also to add to this don't turn up on a Saturday or Sunday and expect the exchange booth to be open either. If you turn up in the week between 8:30 - 3:30 it will be open, these are the standard opening time for the BCEL (Banque Commerce Exterior Lao - however the french is spelt).

Although a better bet (if in car) is to call into the Nong Khai Tesco/Lotus and go into one of the Thai banks in there however there is two and one will change to dollar and one won't (I can't remember the names of the banks!)

1700Baht seems like they are pushing there bar even higher - probably the $1 overtime becomes 200baht!! :o

Also another small pointer is if you don't have a photo just roll up to the window tell them you don't have a photo and pay $1 they'll photocopy your passport.

I quizzed them one time over the 1500baht thing and I just got a - that's the way it is response - so there isn't much point in arguing over it.

We've actually just come back into Laos via the airport - no 'entry fee' there either!

For me though I've never had any problems coming and going into Laos - I normally get quizzed why I haven't got a longer term work visa yet (lack of time!) . . :D