Lock changed in my condo without any notice

I took a trip to UK for two weeks with a suprise shock on my return that my lock was changed in my condo, and was unable to get into my condo,  with a note in the door saying " Lock changed,  please contact this phone number,  agency has many problems,  owner has not received this months rent,  agency has run away,  please do not transfer any more money to agency".

Luckily I arrived around 7:00pm and not early hours of the morning,  called the  number on the note,  the person sent the new key via motobike taxi so I was able to get into my condo.

I have a 1 year contract,  and have been paying my monthly rent on time each month to the agency.  

Questions.

1. Can they do this,  enter your premises whilst you are away and change the lock without giving any notice or informing you ?

2. If you are dealing with any agency,  how can you trust the agency that your rental money is transferred to the owner ?

I am now dealing with some-one else,  who I have never met,  only line/whats app, phone number,  any one else have any similar issues in renting using any agency ?

7 minutes ago, bondjames007 said:

If you are dealing with any agency,  how can you trust the agency that your rental money is transferred to the owner ?

You can't.

I guess in the UK there are laws that if you paid, they you paid - even if the agency did not transfer the money to the owner.

In Thailand, I wouldn't bet if such laws exist and how they are interpreted. 

Just clarifying, the OP rents the condo?  That doesn't make it okay, but it's a different scenario from changing the locks on a condo he owns.  (Which the title suggests...)

Changing the locks seems like a reasonable way to get the attention of the renter.  I wonder if they tried to contact him in person during his absence, and had to resort to the nuclear option when they couldn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

Read your lease, though a bit late now, as that is null & void obviously, if note is accurate.   Also contact the Condo management, and get contact info of the condo owner, and ignore everyone else, since you really don't know who to trust.

If you can't deal direct with the owner, I think I'd be moving.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

i would be more worried the motobike guy made a double on his way to delivery... i would change the lock asap now that i was in... just saying

@bondjames007 Agree, and I would change the locks no matter.  Only Buddha knows who installed or has keys to.  

• Thumbs Up 2

1) What does your lease agreement say about the owner giving notice to enter the premises? Do you know whether the owner had your phone number and email address while you were away?

2) Why was the lease drawn up so that you pay the agent, assuming that this is indeed the case? I think it is customary for the tenant to pay the owner directly unless the owner is not resident in Thailand and has no Thai bank account.

How do you know that the person with whom you are now dealing is actually the owner and that what they say about the agent is in fact the truth?

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

1) What does your lease agreement say about the owner giving notice to enter the premises? Do you know whether the owner had your phone number and email address while you were away?

2) Why was the lease drawn up so that you pay the agent, assuming that this is indeed the case? I think it is customary for the tenant to pay the owner directly unless the owner is not resident in Thailand and has no Thai bank account.

How do you know that the person with whom you are now dealing is actually the owner and that what they say about the agent is in fact the truth?

1.  The lock was changed, presumably in the interests of the tenant, and with no detriment to the tenant so the lease conditions really don't matter in a situation such as this.

2.  It is absolutely normal to pay rent to the agent if an agent was involved in the original leasing of the property. 

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Just being Devil's advocate, It's not your condo, so the new owner has the right to change the lock IMO ...................:coffee1:... It's not their fault you were not there at the time.

Not sure there's new owners.  More like agency he was paying, dealing with, wasn't forwarding his payments to the owner/or condo management, which ever applicable.

The question is, who actually changed the locks.  A scammer or owner/condo management authorized ?

Could be a scam we don't know about.  Someone get access to condo building, changes a few locks with a note 'now send the rent to us" ... nice scam and surely some idiots would fall for it.   

Lock 500 baht

Rent received 5k baht & UP

Times how many locks changed, and how many months pass before found out.

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Just being Devil's advocate, It's not your condo, so the new owner has the right to change the lock IMO ...................:coffee1:... It's not their fault you were not there at the time.

Well said.  And the lock was changed in the interest of the tenant to prevent the, apparently, dodgy agent having access.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I'm surprised that two people have agreed with this. It depends on what is written in the agreement. It, to all intents and purposes, IS the renter's condo and no one can enter unless expressly agreed within the contract. 

Otherwise what is to stop landlords/agents strolling in whenever they feel like it, to make themselves a cup of tea when they are in the area? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Well said.  And the lock was changed in the interest of the tenant to prevent the, apparently, dodgy agent having access.

What are you talking....?  😊

• Agree 1

Seems this owner has not followed any procedure and is in violation of the law.

Some quick tips:

– Water supply can usually be stopped by the Building’s Management upon request.

– Remove access and cut utilities as a last resort, usually it is best to use the threat as a deterrent to further escalation.
It is important for the landlord to ensure there is proof that efforts were made to contact the tenant and seek resolution, throughout the eviction process.

Lodge a complaint with the police and consumer affairs, maybe see a lawyer if that is how you want to go. If you are up to date with deposit, rental payments and have a valid contract outlining the terms and condition in the contract.

The landlord can then request that police remove the tenant from the premises. They can also terminate electrical and water services to the property. It is important to note that the landlord cannot enter the property, remove the tenant’s belongings or change the locks on the door, unless it is allowed within the lease agreement, or with a court order.

The legal process for evicting tenants is painstaking and can take many months

Key points

• Rental agreements in Thailand is a legal contract between a landlord and a tenant to use a property for a specific period. 
  • The rental agreement outlines the terms and conditions of the rental

What should foreigners be aware of regarding renting a property in Thailand?

Foreigners who are renting a property in Thailand should be aware of the following legal requirements and considerations:

1. Lease agreement: It is important to have a written lease agreement. The lease agreement should clearly state the rental terms, including the lease length, the rental amount, the payment schedule, and any deposit required.
  2. Security deposit: Landlords may require a security deposit before allowing tenants to move in. This deposit can be up to three months’ rent and should be returned to the tenant at the end of the lease if there are no damages to the property. Please note that if the landlord owns and rents out more than one property, they can only ask for one month’s deposit.
  3. Rental payments: Rent is usually paid monthly, and it is important to understand when and how the rent will be paid clearly.
  4. Landlord and tenant rights: Under Thai law, landlords and tenants have certain rights and responsibilities. Understanding these rights and responsibilities is essential to avoid legal disputes.
  5. Termination of lease: The lease agreement should specify the conditions under which the lease can be terminated, including any notice periods and penalties for breaking the lease.
  6. Property condition: Tenants should inspect the property before moving in and document any damages or issues. This can help avoid disputes at the end of the lease.
  7. Rental agents: Rental agents can help foreigners find accommodation, but it is important to use a reputable licensed agent with a good reputation.
Edited by freeworld
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

The Lease agreement has the owner's ID which is a foreign passport (Chinese),  so guess it's why he has chosen an Agency.  The new person now dealing with,  planned to meet her this afternoon, so I be interested to see what happens later.

• Like 1

that is petty crime to arrest your property by denying access to your stuff. I had a first hand experience when some "landlord" hanged padlock over doorknob.

it is crime, call to police and file a report. also if something is too fishy you can also claim that PS8 is missing from the flat you rented.  

1 minute ago, bondjames007 said:

The Lease agreement has the owner's ID which is a foreign passport (Chinese),  so guess it's why he has chosen an Agency.  The new person now dealing with,  planned to meet her this afternoon, so I be interested to see what happens later.

Yes, likely a non-resident owner who would wish to rely upon an agent to take care of all admin, including collecting rents.

I don't believe it is worth making a fuss about the lock being changed, although I do think it likely that the owner was contractually and legally obliged to notify you in advance. An exception would be if there were an imminent threat of injury or damage to the premises or property in it.

I would suggest that even when dealing through an agent that the owner be provided with a means to contact the tenant and vice versa. If not phone and email, perhaps a LINE or other social media chat group that includes the owner, agent and tenant.  

As far as your previous rental payments to the agent are concerned, payments to an agent are typically considered as payment to the principal, even here in Thailand. As long as you can document that you paid the agent, it is unlikely that the owner can legally pursue you for past payments.

• Thanks 1