Worker Dies in Tragic Fall from Suspended Platform in Central Bangkok

Georgealbert

IMG_4514.jpeg

Picture from responders

On August 17, at 16:00, a tragic accident occurred when a suspended platform used for window cleaning and painting on a high-rise building fell to the ground in Sukhumvit Soi 24, Khlong Tan subdistrict, Khlong Toei district, Bangkok. 

Pol. Lt. Col. Suthon Theerapongsakorn, investigator at Thonglor Police Station, received the report and coordinated with rescue personnel from the Ruamkatanyu Foundation, doctors, and forensic experts to investigate the scene.

The incident took place at a renowned hotel building, which is 43 floors high. At the ground level, the damaged and smashed suspended platform and broken cable wires were found. Nearby, the body of the deceased worker, identified as Mr. Tanu, aged 34, was discovered in a water feature. He was wearing a long-sleeved shirt and jeans, with his safety harness still attached. 

Unfortunately, his body had sustained multiple fractures, including a severe skull injury, leading to his immediate death at the scene.

Preliminary investigations revealed that the worker had been cleaning the building's windows when coworkers heard him shout for help before the platform plummeted to the ground. 

Police are continuing their investigation by interviewing coworkers and witnesses. The results of a forensic examination will help determine the exact cause of the accident. 

The body will be transferred to the Chulalongkorn Hospital's forensic department, where the family can collect it for religious rites.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-18

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 4

I don't know if there's such a thing as a pleasant way to die, but this seems like one of the worst! You can't imagine the terror of this poor worker when he realizes he's going to crash to the ground!
Unfortunately, in some countries, this type  accident  in the sector construction is not unusual.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

what a terrible way to go.  he called out as he knew he was in serious trouble and all too late ....

did something snap on his platform, a pully wheel or similar ?  did a cable snap ?

very sad indeed ...

RIP window cleaner.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/18/2024 at 4:29 AM, Patong2021 said:

I thought the safety harness was supposed to hold the worker  when this type of event occurred? Isn't the safety harness fastened to to a hold separate from the work platform? Either he was tethered direct to the platform, or tethered to the same structure that was holding the platform.  It will be interesting to hear what experienced people  have to say. Poor guy. I dislike heights and this just seals the deal for me.

One would imagine he was tethered to the platform in which he was working.... 

if the cable/s or winching mechanism gave out then he was doomed to go with it.

It's unusual that he would be harnessed to a point outside of the platform.

On 8/19/2024 at 8:24 AM, Tubulat said:

It is good that you show the video but every time the image is too big, maybe next time you can make the image smaller before uploading.

Click on the button (or what ever it's called) that expands the video to full screen before you click on the play button.

That works for me.  But I only use a computer for AN, I don't know if that works with phones. 

Edited by radiochaser
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2024 at 12:06 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

In which countries are this type of accident usual, i.e. not unusual?

In those which have pedantic forum members to attempt to pick apart generalisations based on someones understanding of the information they have to hand. 

In this example...   the 'countries' in which this type of accident are not unusual, or notice as being more prevalent are those lacking in legal framework and action to hold accountable those in positions of responsibility who have been negligent - i.e. not ensured maintenance schedules are up to task and carried out effectively. 

i.e. it could mainly be considered that developing nations fall into this category...  and Thailand certainly fits into this category where those who in other developed nations would be held accountable are not in Thailand.

Now... we all know you lovely to pick apart and micro-analyse generalisations - but they exist for a reason...

... We see maintenance failings and flawed construction standards, safety shortcuts etc way more often here than in many of our home countries... (elevator fails / escalators injuring people / electrocutions / poor construction leading to failure / lorry brake failure etc etc)... 

In which countries are these issues more common: China / Philippines / India / Turkey  and loads more - those countries known for a lack of consideration for the safety and wellbeing of its population.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/18/2024 at 4:29 AM, Patong2021 said:

I thought the safety harness was supposed to hold the worker  when this type of event occurred? Isn't the safety harness fastened to to a hold separate from the work platform? Either he was tethered direct to the platform, or tethered to the same structure that was holding the platform.  It will be interesting to hear what experienced people  have to say. Poor guy. I dislike heights and this just seals the deal for me.

There seems to be very little training on working at heights. As you say his harness was most likely tied to the basket if it was secured at all.

RIP to the guy and condolences to his family.

6 hours ago, Pique Dard said:
On 8/18/2024 at 12:06 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

In which countries are this type of accident usual, i.e. not unusual?

you don't expect me to answer your question do you? 

Well, put it like this, I didn't expect you to be able to come up with an answer.