2YO 18" Hatari Slide Smart L1 Fan has always been too fast on low speed

Is there any way to drop the fan speed so that low isn't so strong? 

Always suspected something wasn't right and then last night we visited friends with the same fan and their low speed was much gentler than ours and felt correct.  Everything else seems to work fine on the fan.  Not sure if there is an issue with ours or if they sold different speed versions.

5 minutes ago, RoninTech said:

Always suspected something wasn't right and then last night we visited friends with the same fan and their low speed was much gentler than ours and felt correct.  Everything else seems to work fine on the fan.  Not sure if there is an issue with ours or if they sold different speed versions.

Use the Natural function.

Just now, RoninTech said:

That makes it go up and down from slow to fast.  Looking for just slow speed as this fan is too fast on low.

The fast on Natural is slower than the Fast on Normal. It's the best that you will be able to achieve unless you find someone able to modify it.

4 minutes ago, RoninTech said:

That makes it go up and down from slow to fast.  Looking for just slow speed as this fan is too fast on low.

Agree it used to pee me of as it briefly stops, I kept thinking oh a power cut again, don't use it anymore I use a floor fan now.

33 minutes ago, RoninTech said:

My solution to this problem was to give it away.

Bit cheeky hijacking the thread......we have the opposite problem.....we have six identical pedestal fans....one of which runs at half the speed of the others?

Is it worth trying to strip it down to have a look at the motor....or just buy a new fan?

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You can generally slow down a fan by placing a capacitor in series with one of the supply wires.

The value is very much trial and error I'm afraid.

A good place to start would be a cap of the same value as the run capacitor inside the fan, that way you will have a few spares once you have completed your speed regulation exercise.

Go out and buy half a dozen of the relevant capacitor (they are cheap). Note you MUST use the correct mains rated capacitors. As noted above a good start would be the same is the fan run capacitor.

Start off with one capacitor in series, if that's not slow enough add another in series with that one, and another and another until it's going slow enough for you.

If one capacitor makes it too slow then you can add another in parallel with the first capacitor, and other as required to get the required speed.

Once you have the desired effect, insulate any bare wires and stick it in a nice plastic box.

Would a dimmer switch work?

Something like this ... https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dimmer-1600w-i5120261470-s21605463824.html?c=&channelLpJumpArgs=&clickTrackInfo=query%3Adimmer%2Bswitch%3Bnid%3A5120261470%3Bsrc%3ALazadaMainSrp%3Brn%3Aaba9602286dd073d94fbfbeefe4c7382%3Bregion%3Ath%3Bsku%3A5120261470_TH%3Bprice%3A175.24%3Bclient%3Adesktop%3Bsupplier_id%3A100223775674%3Bbiz_source%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.lazada.co.th%2F%3Bslot%3A19%3Butlog_bucket_id%3A470687%3Basc_category_id%3A12090%3Bitem_id%3A5120261470%3Bsku_id%3A21605463824%3Bshop_id%3A3446345%3BtemplateInfo%3A&freeshipping=1&fs_ab=2&fuse_fs=&lang=en&location=Bangkok&price=175.24&priceCompare=skuId%3A21605463824%3Bsource%3Alazada-search-voucher%3Bsn%3Aaba9602286dd073d94fbfbeefe4c7382%3BunionTrace%3A7d18d4a017242098031233283e%3BoriginPrice%3A17524%3BvoucherPrice%3A17524%3BdisplayPrice%3A17524%3BsinglePromotionId%3A900000029969227%3BsingleToolCode%3ApromPrice%3BvoucherPricePlugin%3A1%3BbuyerId%3A881223%3Btimestamp%3A1724209803611&ratingscore=4.9423076923076925&request_id=aba9602286dd073d94fbfbeefe4c7382&review=104&sale=299&search=1&source=search&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.19&stock=1

11 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Bit cheeky hijacking the thread......we have the opposite problem.....we have six identical pedestal fans....one of which runs at half the speed of the others?

Is it worth trying to strip it down to have a look at the motor....or just buy a new fan?

I'd start with replacing the run capacitor if you've not already done so.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'd start with replacing the run capacitor if you've not already done so.

Will that involve soldering?.........it gives me another excuse for buying kit I don't have....55

31 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

18" replacement motor 200bht Inc delivery from Lazada.

Well worth the cost.

10 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Ooooo....cheers ....will have a look at that......

🍻

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.KYUyZ

Stripped down one of my 18" stand fans yesterday, as it had stopped working.

Bad news was it had a frozen bearing, easy enough to free but it had burnt out the motor. So waiting for a replacement motor to arrive, probably tomorrow.

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You can generally slow down a fan by placing a capacitor in series with one of the supply wires.

Works well for simple fans but I would not use that method for the OP's fan which is a remote control version with solid state switching of the speed windings.

You are right about using a dimmer, the noise at low speeds would drive someone crazy.

• Like 1