Off-duty Thai cop hit by truck while aiding accident victims in Isaan

snoop1130

COVER-PIC-1-1.jpg

A 28 year old Thai police officer lost his life after being struck by a pickup truck on Saturday in the Isaan province of Loei while he was assisting victims of a car accident outside of his working hours.

The story of the deceased police officer, Police Corporal Patipan “Hernfa” Auttaboon, came to light after his friends and colleagues expressed their condolences on social media. Patipan died at Loei Hospital at about 3am on Saturday, August 17, a few hours after being admitted with severe injuries.

Patipan’s father, Police Captain Kitti Auttaboon, revealed in an interview with Matichon that Patipan was the eldest of three children. He always wanted Patipan to be a police officer, just like himself, and supported him in every way until he became an officer at Phu Ruea Police Station.

On the day of the incident, Patipan had finished his work and was on his way to spend time with friends. During his journey home, he encountered an accident on Loei-Chiang Khan Road and stopped to assist the victims. Concerned that the accident might cause further collisions, Patipan placed traffic cones around the scene to alert other motorists.

A pickup truck approached the accident scene at high speed and collided with Patipan. The police officer was seriously injured and rushed to the hospital. Unfortunately, Patipan succumbed to his injuries.

Matichon reported that the pickup driver issued an apology to Patipan’s family and attended his funeral, but discussions about compensation had not yet taken place.

Mueang Loei Police Station charged the pickup driver with reckless driving causing death. The penalty could be imprisonment for up to 10 years, a fine of up to 200,000 baht, or both, according to Section 291 of the Criminal Code.

By Petch Petpailin

Photo via Thai News Online

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-08-20

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 6

Just watched the DLT drivers license video.  Many times the video showed the results of speeding, drunk, and tired driving.  These were top 5 contributors to accidents.  

RIP, your service and dedication is appreciated.

I am still learning Thai logic.  I am unsure if the officer could have done anything different.  Maybe put the car or motorbike with signals on behind the cones as a barrier.

But I'm still learning and not an expert 

5 minutes ago, J Branche said:

I am unsure if the officer could have done anything different.  Maybe put the car or motorbike with signals on behind the cones as a barrier.

But I'm still learning and not an expert 

I doubt it would have made any difference. People are regularly struck and killed after their cars break down on Bangkok expressways - speeding drivers pay no attention to the stopped car on the shoulder and just plow right through 😕

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

a fine of up to 200,000 baht or both

Killing an off-duty police officer who is coordinating an accident scene will bear a MAXIMUM penalty of 200,000 Baht!!!!

This is a clear sign to everybody in Thailand about what a life is worth in this rotten country.

16 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Killing an off-duty police officer who is coordinating an accident scene will bear a MAXIMUM penalty of 200,000 Baht!!!!

This is a clear sign to everybody in Thailand about what a life is worth in this rotten country.

Yeah its the "or" part that stops me from taking a few out.

• Haha 1