• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 30

AI

2. 2,869

Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

3. 191

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

4. 27

Big C Extra is becoming too dangerous to visit

5. 1

Comparisons Between Trump and Dictators Spark Backlash: Atlantic Article Under Fire

6. 0

Seoul Demands Immediate Withdrawal of North Korean Troops from Russia Amid Rising Tensions

7. 0

Woman Admits to Assault After Throwing Milkshake at Nigel Farage During Election Campaign

8. 0

England's Children's Commissioner Urges for Nationwide Ban on Smacking

9. 0

Israel's Decapitation Operation: A Game-Changer in Middle Eastern Conflicts

10. 0

Labour's Key Manifesto Promises at Risk as Budget Cuts Threaten Farming Fund

11. 0

British ICC Prosecutor Karim Khan Denies Misconduct Amid Harassment Allegations

12. 0

Europe’s Migration Policies: A Quiet Shift Toward Trump-like Toughness

13. 0

Should "Ethnic Minority" be Replaced with "Global Majority"?

14. 0

Robert Jenrick Calls for Whole Life Sentences for Grooming Gangs

Microsoft patches TPM 2.0 bypass to prevent Windows 11 installs on PCs with unsupported CPU

BigStar

Uh oh. Who woulda thought?

Good times for slightly older CPUs are coming to an end. . . . Though this was found in the Canary Build, this will likely trickle down to future releases and be implemented for all systems once updated. . . . While there are other installation methods, it's simply a matter of time before Microsoft patches these bypasses. In this situation, users can switch to older Windows 10 with supported builds, shift to Linux, or make a hardware upgrade.

--https://www.tomshardware.com/software/operating-systems/microsoft-patches-tpm-20-bypass-to-prevent-windows-11-installs-on-pcs-with-unsupported-cpus

Seems another compelling reason to ditch WinBloze on new hardware. 

Guess run a Linux ver, and then a older ver of Win in a VM. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2024 at 12:54 AM, BigStar said:

Uh oh. Who woulda thought?

Good times for slightly older CPUs are coming to an end. . . . Though this was found in the Canary Build, this will likely trickle down to future releases and be implemented for all systems once updated. . . . While there are other installation methods, it's simply a matter of time before Microsoft patches these bypasses. In this situation, users can switch to older Windows 10 with supported builds, shift to Linux, or make a hardware upgrade.

--https://www.tomshardware.com/software/operating-systems/microsoft-patches-tpm-20-bypass-to-prevent-windows-11-installs-on-pcs-with-unsupported-cpus

Are they still allowing machines with TPM 1.2 to upgrade to Windows 11? 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Many members have posted their Windows 11 upgrade on unsupported hardware installed fine, and is working fine, and they are receiving security updates.

It appears Microsoft have more patching to do.  :smile: 

Which members installed or upgraded to Win 11 24H2 bypassing TPM and with an unsupported CPU?

Just glancing around on the 'net, the bypass now seems hit-or-miss w/ 24H2. Some insist that as long as your CPU supports SSE4.2, the old bypass will work; if not, then that loophole's gone.

SSE4.2.jpg

If not, it may install and run until you reboot.

Another user says:

The Rufus bypass method no longer works, at least for me on my 2018 hardware. The options to bypass are still there in Rufus, however, 24H2 forces the use of BitLocker, which absolutely requires TPM. Therefore, I cannot update 23H2 using USB Flash Drive or an .ISO file using the many methods we've been using the past few years to get Win11 installed on slightly older hardware.

Some claim no problems, others insist that now various other hoops need to be jumped. Rufus, still actively supported, may update for more workaround. There's a discussion here (among many):

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/how-do-i-get-around-this-issue-to-install-24h2.29134/

Seems M'soft did get stricter, but hasn't really dropped the hammer yet.

YMMV. If I run across further news, I'll pass it along.

Edited by BigStar

32 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Just glancing around on the 'net, the bypass now seems hit-or-miss w/ 24H2. Some insist that as long as your CPU supports SSE4.2, the old bypass will work; if not, then that loophole's gone.

SSE4.2.jpg

If not, it may install and run until you reboot.

Another user says:

The Rufus bypass method no longer works, at least for me on my 2018 hardware. The options to bypass are still there in Rufus, however, 24H2 forces the use of BitLocker, which absolutely requires TPM. Therefore, I cannot update 23H2 using USB Flash Drive or an .ISO file using the many methods we've been using the past few years to get Win11 installed on slightly older hardware.

Some claim no problems, others insist that now various other hoops need to be jumped. Rufus, still actively supported, may update for more workaround. There's a discussion here (among many):

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/how-do-i-get-around-this-issue-to-install-24h2.29134/

Seems M'soft did get stricter, but hasn't really dropped the hammer yet.

YMMV. If I run across further news, I'll pass it along.

No. Your source and news is outdated. I already wrote about this earlier. They were using an older version of Rufus that needed to be updated. In the meantime the developer released a script that you could apply manually and then released 4.6 Beta. 4.6 Stable was released today.