Pidok Sooksawas: From High-Flyer to Thailand’s First Gentleman

image.jpeg

Pidok Sooksawas, originally from Nakhon Si Thammarat, has transitioned from being an airline pilot to Thailand’s First Gentleman. He is the husband of Paetongtarn Shinawatra, the new Prime Minister from the ruling Pheu Thai Party, who he married in 2019. Their wedding, held in Hong Kong, was a grand affair presided over by Princess Ubolratana.

Pidok has been a constant source of support for Paetongtarn, especially during her political endeavours. "I’m here to offer her moral support. I want her to feel secure when she looks around and sees me," he says.

His role is pivotal, particularly in alleviating her stress and providing emotional support. The couple has two young children: a three-year-old daughter and a 16-month-old son.

Born in 1982, Pidok was considered one of the country's most eligible bachelors. His impressive height and a degree in mechanical engineering from King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Ladkrabang added to his charm.

He initially pursued a career as an airline pilot but had to give it up due to his mother-in-law's concerns about the risks.

After stepping away from piloting, Pidok co-founded MWP Co Ltd, a company operating from Shinawatra Tower 3, with a registered capital of 5 million baht, reported Thai PBS.

Although the company has yet to turn a profit, Pidok has almost 1.65 million baht in stake. His wife, Paetongtarn, holds shareholdings worth over 9.33 billion baht, including a significant stake in Rende Development, where Pidok serves as chief deputy officer of investment.

Despite his prominent familial ties, Pidok has managed to maintain a low profile, even as he supports his wife during public events. However, with Paetongtarn now being the country's most powerful person, it remains to be seen if he can continue to shy away from the political spotlight. 

An avid Liverpool FC fan for over two decades, Pidok's dedication to his favourite team epitomises his loyalty, a trait that he consistently demonstrates in his personal and professional life.

Picture courtesy: thansettakij

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-22

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MisterTee said:
7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, he hasn't, Thailand does not have those daft American "positions".

They try to copy everything.

Who are you saying copies whom?   Thailand is not copying anyone, there is no "First Lady/First Gentleman" acknowledged  and referenced position in Thailand.  The author of the puff piece OP is the only one using the term.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 6

10 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

An avid Liverpool FC fan for over two decades, Pidok's dedication to his favourite team epitomises his loyalty, a trait that he consistently demonstrates in his personal and professional life.

Picture courtesy: thansettakij

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-22

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

Seems a nice guy to me!!   YNWA.

7 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Well impressed up to that point....then he blew it.

No, that is when he really impressed and rose above the rabble.

YNWA

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, he hasn't, Thailand does not have those daft American "positions".

"First Lady" and "First Gentlemen" applies to the spouse or partner of a President, never a lowly Prime Minister.

K. Pidok is just another bloke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1