The Strange Car Fire Destroyed in Protest

Georgealbert

IMG_4737.jpeg
Picture from responders

At 11:55, on 24 August a fire broke out in a taxi between Soi Nawamin 52-54, Nawamin Road, Khlong Kum Subdistrict, Bueng Kum District, Bangkok. The vehicle involved was a blue Toyota Altis without a license plate, which ran on both gasoline and NGV gas. The fire completely destroyed the car. Firefighters arrived on the scene and successfully extinguished the blaze, in about 30 minutes.

Initial investigations were unable to determine the cause of the fire, as the car was entirely consumed by flames. Fortunately, there were no injuries or fatalities reported in the incident. The area is under the jurisdiction of Bang Chan Fire and Rescue Station.

Further investigation, saw the fire take a strange turn.

When police located the taxi driver, Sarochat, he confused that he had set fire to his taxi in a fit of anger and destroyed it in protest against what he claims is fraudulent treatment by a leasing company.

The protest was also highlighted by two signs placed in front of the burned taxi. The signs alleged serious misconduct by the leasing company, accusing them of cheating

One sign read, “This company is a national-level scam. They cheated me out of nearly 100,000 THB the first time, and the second time, after a lawyer told me I owed over 200,000 THB, the court reduced it to 130,000 THB. I paid off the entire taxi loan, never missed a payment, yet they seized my house without a single court notice."

Police officers from Lat Phrao Police Station have taken Sarochat in for questioning. The investigation is ongoing as they seek to clarify the details of his claims and the events leading up to the violent and reckless protest.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-24

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

IMG_4745.jpeg
Picture from a local resident of the start of the driver’s protest and the protest sign.

IMG_4744.jpeg

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Would not surprise me if what he said was true

I tend to agree having a sign made, not just a hand written one.  No wonder so many Drivers try to scam passengers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

One sign read, “This company is a national-level scam. They cheated me out of nearly 100,000 THB the first time, and the second time, after a lawyer told me I owed over 200,000 THB, the court reduced it to 130,000 THB. I paid off the entire taxi loan, never missed a payment, yet they seized my house without a single court notice."

I can see where he's coming from.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1