Lao borders (some at least) now requiring overnight stay?

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Yep, I'm sure most border runs are done with 1 or 2 days remaining on entry stamp so why would you decline to stay 1 night in Laos when so close to end of stay?

Thinking good advice for folk doing border bounce in future is to use "visa run" agents (minivan) .

They can advise current situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

First up thanks for report.

So this other guy wasn't prepared to spend one night in Laos and walked away.

Weird 

The place is completely sketchy, it’s a Chinese city where the only law is the criminal enterprise that runs the place.  It’s the one place in Laos where I can imagine being kidnapped and forced to work in a scam center in Myanmar or somewhere. I had five days left on my visa and if I had to spend a night in Laos I would have gone over to Chiang Khong.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tod Daniels said:

they went down to ONE NIGHT out of the country at Chiang Khong (and most likely Chiang Saen) and are handing people this at the thai border when they go to stamp out

no bouncing at Chiang Khong.jpg

My friend has reservated a flight out of Thailand within 60 days without paying. He showed screenshot to the immigration officer. No issues with that

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/10/2024 at 11:49 PM, nailbrains8 said:

Anyone know if there are any issues crossing the Chiang Khong/Huay Xai border with a marriage visa and reentry permit or a multi entry visa that hasn't expired - just need a new stamp.

I read one report where someone with a Non-Imm visa did not have to spend the one-night-out at one of the borders.  YMMV.  I would have a change of clothes, just in case.  Could also ask the local visa-run vans if they know.

If you want to avoid any hassle, just fly in and out of Thailand without any issues. Be sure to stay at least 2 nights abroad before returning to Thailand. You can usually do this about 3-4 times a year before they start asking questions. When they do, be sure to have 20,000 baht in cash, a return flight reservation, and a hotel or condo booking, and you'll be good to go.

The reason they've tightened the requirements at land borders is due to the large number of travelers going in and out. This situation will likely become more pronounced when DTV holders start doing border runs to activate their next 180 days. The same applies to embassies—the busier they are, the stricter the requirements for visa applications. 

It's not that they don't want you here; it's just that they're overwhelmed. Thailand's immigration process is still lagging behind compared to countries like Malaysia and Singapore, where you can register online and simply scan your passport upon arrival without needing to interact with immigration staff. This will probably change in the future.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, racket said:

It's not that they don't want you here; it's just that they're overwhelmed.

At the Bangkok airports, they seem to hassle people most when they are NOT as busy, per some reports.  Thais who want more prosperity for their people want us here.  Other, xenophobic-types, do not.  

The latter are a tiny minority of the general population, in my experience, but such attitudes help justify corrupt-practices towards foreigners, so are inculcated into immigration-staff. 

It is psychologically similar to how "the enemy" is demonized with military personnel, to make their job easier to carry-out.  If Immigration staff thought of us, and our Thai families we support, as "like them." it would be harder to stomach what some of them do.  Hate makes it possible.

19 hours ago, racket said:

... where you can register online and simply scan your passport upon arrival without needing to interact with immigration staff. This will probably change in the future.

The proposed "ETA" is purported to make using auto-gates possible, though it will infuriate immigration, if they aren't able to extort people with false-reasons for denying entry, to force agent-use. 

Some have suggested the ETA will be used to block "too many" border-bounces, but if that system is run by the MFA (not Immigration), I would not make that prediction, absent some change in MFA policy.

On 9/11/2024 at 6:35 AM, Tod Daniels said:

OFF TOPIC;
I thought this was related to 'border bouncing' enough to put it in here 
Take it for what it's worth, that's from a border bounce/visa run company in Samui.

image.png.c982e00986db7cfb88990459317ecbb0.png

Hmmm. I wonder if this restriction will be applied to the 180/5yr DTV visa? If you extend in country that's it, no more in and out

14 hours ago, mokwit said:

Hmmm. I wonder if this restriction will be applied to the 180/5yr DTV visa? If you extend in country that's it, no more in and out

I don't think there is a relation to the DTV at all. 

In any case, if I were ever on a Tourist type stay again - or the DTV - I would just use known-safe entry points, who have historically followed the laws published in the Gazette - vs entry points known to make up things which are not the law.

Nong Khai is a good choice, because they have a good record, and there is high-traffic - so we would find out immediately if "the bad guys" took over that entry-point..

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

Nong Khai is a good choice, because they have a good record, and there is high-traffic - so we would find out immediately if "the bad guys" took over that entry-point..

What on earth does that mean.

There has been no issue with friendship bridge border bounce. 

"bad guys took over that entry point" 

Comical 

• Agree 2

On 9/14/2024 at 9:35 PM, DrJack54 said:

What on earth does that mean.

There has been no issue with friendship bridge border bounce. 

"bad guys took over that entry point" 

Comical

Let me make it easy for you. IF the corrupt faction took over that entry point and began making problems, THEN we would hear about it BECAUSE it is a high-traffic crossing.  

Clear now?  

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Stopped reading at "IF" 

Was never a fan of Mel Gibson "Conspiracy theory" movie. 

Not sure what your movie reference has to do with anything.  But, I see, you just insult without any attempt at comprehension. 

Does insulting people online make you feel good about yourself, when unable to make a cogent point? 

Anyone not a "mod" would be banned for abuse, for the types of posts you make routinely.

10 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

Anyone not a "mod" would be banned for abuse, for the types of posts you make routinely.

Your posts have a common theme regarding corruption. 

The one above has for example..

'"IF the corrupt faction took over that entry point" 

Referring to "corrupt faction" 

Stick to the thread topics.

If land borders start requiring overnight stay (with option to avoid that with a "donation" then fine) 

Has been the situation for a long time at some land borders. 

• Thumbs Up 1