POLL: Going short-time only, shallow or succulent?

POLL: Going short-time only, shallow or succulent?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Following is my original post to help give people some reference to the poll:

Whenever I see a post from somebody (here on AN) talking about going short-time, or taking part in the nightlife in Thailand there will inevitably be some other posters on here who will then comment something to the effect of "sad" or "shallow", but I never understood why. So let's unpack this. 

First off, why is it anyone's right or business to say something condescending about another person's lifestyle, especially someone else whom they personally know nothing about? 

Next, what is actually sad or shallow about it? Some men simply may not want to share their life with a partner full-time, but they also don't want to be forced to be celibate. So short-time works really well for them. Nothing wrong with that.

Then are there any real moral issues? No. Are they helping to put some much needed money into the lower end of the local economy? Yes. 

So somebody explain to me how it's sad or shallow. And furthermore, explain to me how it isn't the perfect thing for someone who still has biological needs and/or carnal desires, but feels happier being alone. 

I suspect many of the posters making these condescending comments are ones who are in longtime monogamous relationships, and who can't envision or understand how someone else could possibly live a happy life in any other way. 

But truth be told, the guy living the short-time lifestyle might be a lot happier than the guy judging him and who feels stuck in a married position. And perhaps it's the guy who is not living the short-time lifestyle who is actually the one who's feeling sad. 

• Confused 1

Reminds me of a guy who, one afternoon while walking down a street of ill repute, approached a young working woman and offered her 200 baht for short time.

The girl refused, saying, "It's 1,500 baht, darling."

The man insisted, "You can do it for 200 baht; come on!" But, again, she denied his request.

After a few more attempts by the man to pay only 200 baht, she got fed up, raised her voice, and said, "Leave me alone; it is not 200 baht. Go away!"

So, the man walked away and, after a block or two, bumped into his wife, who was out shopping.

"What the hell are you doing here?" She demanded.

"Nothing, just taking a stroll," he replied.

"You are so lazy! Let's go back home," she snapped, grabbing his arm and pulling him along.

As they walked back together, they ran into the prostitute he had encountered earlier.

She looked at them, amused, and laughed as she said to the man, "See what you get for 200 baht?"

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, andux said:

She looked at them, amused, and laughed as she said to the man, "See what you get for 200 baht?"

Maybe his wife only charges him 100 Baht, which, in this case, is a much better value for money. 

11 minutes ago, Alpha84 said:

Maybe his wife only charges him 100 Baht, which, in this case, is a much better value for money. 

You sound like the kind of person who heckles at stand-up.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, stoner said:

because the pages and pages of comments already talked about it all.

its one click and done. Takes less time to do than you took to write your post. 

• Confused 1

What's the point of that poll?

Does any side "win"?

And if more people like A instead of B does this mean they are right and everybody should be like A?

Who cares? It's like asking if you like tea or coffee? Some prefer this, some prefer that, some have both, whatever, there is no right and wrong.

And I don't think I ever had the argument with a friend about short time or long time. Do whatever you want! 

• Thumbs Up 1