Landslide Buries Workers Inside High-Speed Rail Tunnel Construction in Nakhon Ratchasima

5 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

and if it was you on the other side of the blockage....?

I wouldn't be going anywhere. Tired workers can cause more problems than the solve.

It is obvious to me that you have no idea what you are talking about, and are just a troll on this thread.

9 hours ago, john donson said:

guess just slow digging the bodies up was calculated to be cheaper then a fast expensive rescue... what will be the fine ?  30k for the family ?

Sorry, but can you please share your wisdom and knowledge and tell how you think a ‘fast expensive rescue’ could have been achieved, as I am always looking to learn and develop my skill base.

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Stupid post. And disrespectful to the people who risked their lives trying to recue them in difficult circumstances. Where do you people get off?

Also wondering... it seems to be a misplaced Chinese-hate pattern here among many salty, self-entitled western (?) LBH who funnily live in a country with cultural, linguistic and societal composition that is already for centuries partly Chinese influenced... settling and integrating here  long before Europeans and Americans mass tourists...

Many of these hipocrites will also be the first ones to enjoy speedy and convenient high speed train rides once the project is finished.

Pathetic 🙂

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

don't need to be there, been in the same situation a few times over the years  i think you never been working in a hard rock mine or you would know the first rule !!!  and any blind fool  can see from the Photos there WAS NO safety protocols in place 

And how I can possible know been working in mines all over the world as Quality and Safety Manager for the last 20yrs some good some bad mines last position was the worlds biggest copper mine so i can say i know a little about what i talk  can post my CV if you want.

It was pretty obvious that there WAS no Training given to theses  guys as they would still be alive The First and cardinal rule is YOU NEVER GO UNDER UNSUPPORTED GROUND  theses guy did

look at the photos where did they find the guys where is the Safety gear (self rescuers, Tag locators,work boot, long sleeved shirts, long pants,) Why no refuge, why No tag board can go on and on will Thailand learn NO !!!shamefull   

Ok then! Don't need the CV, but thanks for offering! 🙂

58 minutes ago, Schnicnac said:

Also wondering... it seems to be a misplaced Chinese-hate pattern here among many salty, self-entitled western (?) LBH who funnily live in a country with cultural, linguistic and societal composition that is already for centuries partly Chinese influenced... settling and integrating here  long before Europeans and Americans mass tourists...

Many of these hipocrites will also be the first ones to enjoy speedy and convenient high speed train rides once the project is finished.

Pathetic 🙂

With respect, I think many of these hipocrites will be deceased by the time there is an HST service from Bangkok through to China (via Vientiane)

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, I think many of these hipocrites will be deceased by the time there is an HST service from Bangkok through to China (via Vientiane)

There still seems to be an abundant supply of them coming... fleeing declining public safety, immigration crises, extortionate taxation and wokeness, being bitter about the wealth decline in their western homeland vs wealth increase in Asia... 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2024 at 1:58 PM, josephbloggs said:

What a pathetic comment from a pathetic person.

What qualifies you to judge? What is your involvement? I assume none, so please keep your pathetic comments to yourself.

Man, everyone is allowed an opinion. You can agree or disagree with it, but don't get into ad hominems. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just wondering here, but if the rescue effort has a different construction method, obviously deemed safer and more effective, why wouldn't they have built the tunnel that way in the first place?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cereal said:

Just wondering here, but if the rescue effort has a different construction method, obviously deemed safer and more effective, why wouldn't they have built the tunnel that way in the first place?

The construction company was using a Drill and blast method, Fairly safe, if safety protocols were  in place, "which i doubt"  first rule in mining "you never go under unsupported ground" that is drummed into you at training which i don't think theses had any !! the next method more safer is "boring machine" which is more suited to this type of soil conditions  BUT theses Machines are more expensive  so it comes down to the all mighty dollar, Asian lives are cheap  and now the cover up begins 

• Like 1

The deceased were identified as Mr. Hu Xiangmin, a Chinese national and supervisor, and Mr. Tong Xinlin, a Chinese national and excavator driver.

My simple question here is -- has it been explained anywhere here how it is that Chinese nationals were working as laborers on a Thai government (State Railway of Thailand) contracted construction project?

I always thought construction labor work in Thailand was mainly restricted by law to Thai nationals.

Prohibited Occupations in Thailand

"According to the Alien Act Law set by Thailand, the following are the type of work or jobs not allowed to be handled by foreigners working in Thailand and expect that foreigners engaging in such type of job or work will not be granted a Thai work permit:

--Labor work, with the exception of fishing boat labor.

--Whether it’s bricklaying, carpentry, or other types of construction work.

--Professional civil engineering services, excluding tasks needing specialized skills. But include design and computation, systemization, analysis, planning, testing, construction supervision, and consulting services.

https://www.thaiworkpermit.com/prohibited-occupations-in-thailand.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My simple question here is -- has it been explained anywhere here how it is that Chinese nationals were working as laborers on a Thai government (State Railway of Thailand) contracted construction project?

I always thought construction labor work in Thailand was mainly restricted by law to Thai nationals.

"According to the Alien Act Law set by Thailand, the following are the type of work or jobs not allowed to be handled by foreigners working in Thailand and expect that foreigners engaging in such type of job or work will not be granted a Thai work permit:

--Professional civil engineering services, excluding tasks needing specialized skills. But include design and computation, systemization, analysis, planning, testing, construction supervision, and consulting services.

My Thai spouse and I bought a new house that had just started construction last year from a local construction company here in Pattaya.  While the builder/owner was Thai, and the construction manager,  most of the construction workers were not, with the exception of the electricians and maybe a few others doing specialized work, and the company that built the pool.   

What I would call the yucky work--doing the steel girders, the tile roof, the concrete block walls, digging holes and installing water piping, foundation work, drywall, painting, etc., was done by non-Thai workers.  They arrived each day on the back of a pick-up truck, 10 or 12 all crammed in together.   We see pick up trucks full of these workers all the time and I don't know how they get around the labor law--perhaps they can get an exception if no Thai workers can be found to do the work.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You have answered your question yourself if you read what you have posted

The deceased were identified as Mr. Hu Xiangmin, a Chinese national and supervisor, and Mr. Tong Xinlin, a Chinese national and excavator driver.

NOT  labours

click your link and read,   You are eligible for a Thai work permit if you are a contractor working on a project for a government agency or a state-owned enterprise.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

click your link and read,   You are eligible for a Thai work permit if you are a contractor working on a project for a government agency or a state-owned enterprise.

Thanks for digging down further in the page to find that nugget. That answers my question above!