Telegram CEO Pavel Durov Arrested in France Over App’s Content Moderation

Social Media

image.png

Pavel Durov, the founder and CEO of the popular messaging app Telegram, has been arrested by French authorities at Le Bourget Airport, located just north of Paris. The 39-year-old tech entrepreneur was detained by French police after his private jet landed at the airport, following a flight from Azerbaijan. The arrest has sparked international attention, particularly due to the high-profile nature of the case and Durov's significant influence in the tech world.

French media outlets reported that Durov’s arrest was conducted under a warrant related to alleged offenses connected to his messaging platform, Telegram. According to officials, Durov was apprehended due to ongoing concerns regarding the app's lack of content moderation, which has allegedly allowed it to be used for illicit activities, including money laundering, drug trafficking, and the distribution of pedophilic content. These allegations have put Telegram under intense scrutiny from various governments and regulatory bodies around the world.

The arrest was carried out by officers from France’s anti-fraud office, which operates under the jurisdiction of French customs. The operation took place on Saturday evening, immediately after Durov arrived at Le Bourget Airport. French television channel BFMTV provided further details, indicating that the warrant had been issued in France specifically due to the platform's failure to adequately police illegal activities occurring on Telegram.

In response to the arrest, Russia's embassy in France has begun taking "immediate steps" to clarify the situation and secure more information about Durov's detention. This was reported by Russia's TASS state news agency, which emphasized the embassy's concern and proactive approach to addressing the matter.

Telegram, which was founded by Durov in 2013, has grown to become one of the most popular messaging apps globally, particularly in Russia, Ukraine, and other former Soviet Union states. The platform, known for its strong encryption and privacy features, has often been at the center of controversy due to its perceived leniency towards content that other platforms might moderate or ban.

The app's history with the Russian government has been particularly turbulent. In 2018, Telegram was banned in Russia after Durov refused to comply with demands from the Russian authorities to hand over user data. The ban, however, was reversed in 2021, allowing Telegram to continue operating in the country. Despite this, Durov has remained a vocal critic of government censorship and has consistently positioned Telegram as a bastion of free speech, even as it has faced criticism for the way it handles harmful or illegal content.

Durov's rise to prominence began even before Telegram, with the founding of VKontakte (VK), a social media platform that became hugely popular in Russia. However, Durov left Russia in 2014 after refusing to comply with government orders to shut down opposition groups on VK. Following this, he sold his stake in VK and shifted his focus entirely to Telegram, which has since risen to rank among the major social media platforms, alongside giants like Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp, Instagram, TikTok, and WeChat.

The arrest of Pavel Durov at Le Bourget Airport marks a significant moment in the ongoing debate over the responsibilities of social media platforms in moderating content and preventing illegal activities. It also highlights the complex relationship between tech entrepreneurs like Durov and the governments that seek to regulate their platforms. As the situation unfolds, the tech world will be watching closely to see how this high-stakes legal battle plays out, and what it might mean for the future of Telegram and similar platforms that prioritize user privacy and freedom of expression.

Credit: CNN 2024-08-26

news-logo-btm.jpg

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If the CEO of a bricks and mortar business were permitting others to engage, within his facilities, in the illegal trades of narcotics drugs, weapons, money laundering and pedophilic material, who then would question the legitimacy of his arrest?

Weird link. Crooks use cars and phones now. They don't arrest phone and car ceos.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

So why are the CEO's from Line and Facebook not arrested? We have seen several news reports of criminals using those platforms for selling drugs and weapons.

Durov is naturalized and has the French and a middle east identity

I expect because neither are facilitating criminality  and act to remove it when discovered. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Srikcir said:

If guilty Durov will have to make his platform accessible in France to conform to its laws. 

Or just remove it from France  like Rumble did.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

So why are the CEO's from Line and Facebook not arrested? We have seen several news reports of criminals using those platforms for selling drugs and weapons.

Durov is naturalized and has the French and a middle east identity

Line no longer exists. It was acquired by Yahoo in 2023. I know Yahoo Japan content is blocked in Europe, so I don't see an issue. Facebook moderates content, even if imperfectly.

Russia regards Durov as a Russian citizen, and embassy officials have made contact with him. While Russians can renunciate citizenship, this does not appear to have been done.

Of course, the arrest might be a ruse.

https://turan.az/en/politics/putin-refused-to-meet-with-pavel-durov-in-baku-78p p3760

Durov traveled to Baku from Kazakhstan at the same time Putin met with the Azeri leader. Putin was supposedly there to discuss with the Azeris the conflict with Armenia, and what Russia could do to help (irony)

Did Durov meet with Russian government officials traveling with Putin? Durov flew from Baku all the way to Paris, flying distance 3,840kms, not to Dubai, flying distance 1,759kms flying distance.  He doesn't live in France. Why did he fly to France, in his own plane, knowing there was an Arrest Warrant for him? Its said there was a Mistake.  Some say a stop over, maybe for St Kitts-Nevis. He apparently knew he was persona non grata.

There was no Interpol notice, just an entry on Fichier des Personnes Recherchées, so he could have flown instead to Switzerland or the UK, if it was a matter of refueling/crew change. He could have probably flown in and out of any other EU country with no issue, and indeed, Telegram have said he was a frequent visitor to Europe. Instead, he was arrested as he disembarked.

Of course, if one wanted to be safe from the Russian authorities, a French cell might not seem such a bad place. Dubai is full of Russians.

2 minutes ago, MicroB said:

Line no longer exists. It was acquired by Yahoo in 2023. I know Yahoo Japan content is blocked in Europe, so I don't see an issue.

I'm using Line daily, and so are some of my friends in Europe. So criminal activity is ok to you as long as it isn't in Europe?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MicroB said:

Line no longer exists. It was acquired by Yahoo in 2023. I know Yahoo Japan content is blocked in Europe, so I don't see an issue. Facebook moderates content, even if imperfectly.

Russia regards Durov as a Russian citizen, and embassy officials have made contact with him. While Russians can renunciate citizenship, this does not appear to have been done.

Of course, the arrest might be a ruse.

https://turan.az/en/politics/putin-refused-to-meet-with-pavel-durov-in-baku-78p p3760

Durov traveled to Baku from Kazakhstan at the same time Putin met with the Azeri leader. Putin was supposedly there to discuss with the Azeris the conflict with Armenia, and what Russia could do to help (irony)

Did Durov meet with Russian government officials traveling with Putin? Durov flew from Baku all the way to Paris, flying distance 3,840kms, not to Dubai, flying distance 1,759kms flying distance.  He doesn't live in France. Why did he fly to France, in his own plane, knowing there was an Arrest Warrant for him? Its said there was a Mistake.  Some say a stop over, maybe for St Kitts-Nevis. He apparently knew he was persona non grata.

There was no Interpol notice, just an entry on Fichier des Personnes Recherchées, so he could have flown instead to Switzerland or the UK, if it was a matter of refueling/crew change. He could have probably flown in and out of any other EU country with no issue, and indeed, Telegram have said he was a frequent visitor to Europe. Instead, he was arrested as he disembarked.

Of course, if one wanted to be safe from the Russian authorities, a French cell might not seem such a bad place. Dubai is full of Russians.

70m Thais use Line. You better tell them it does not exist

• Like 2

10 hours ago, maesariang said:

70m Thais use Line. You better tell them it does not exist

You are confusing product with company. I already explained to you about the acquisition by Yahoo, but you patently failed to understand that.

13 hours ago, CallumWK said:

I'm using Line daily, and so are some of my friends in Europe. So criminal activity is ok to you as long as it isn't in Europe?

No