Diarrhea Frequency & Treatment in SE Asia

Im not going to jinx myself but:

The best treatment method is let it squirt a few times, then Pepto, if not solidifying, then Immodium, if no solidifaction, antibiotic. Make sure you hydrate.

If you are traveling or out and about, right to the Immodium.

I always carry a camping towel in my bag in case I end up weeping brokenly somewhere covered in my own filth.

I cook a lot of my own food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find I get diarrhea very easily here in Thailand – but it may be old age related?

I started making mental notes how often I’ve eaten at a certain outlet and how often I have got diarrhea thereafter, from the same item.

It’s like up to half the time – this makes me think it’s something to do with their food preparation or hygiene standards. Especially, as I recently spent several weeks in Europe and had no diarrhrea.

Lately, I’ve tried just having have cake and coffee outside and prepare other meals myself – no diarrhea.

On 8/27/2024 at 7:27 AM, Chwooly said:

In over 30 years, twice, Once on a flight from BKK to Manila, Was in bed for 3 days, Once from a street food vendor in Indonesia, I was in bed only 1 day then. the person that took me there was Local and was sick also. 

The question I have to ask is what constitutes diarrhea, My nephew in the states will tell me his suffering when his poop isn't solid like a log because he ate too much fiber. If you sit down on your normal schedule and it is soft that is not a cause for  alarm, If  you are running to the bathroom every 3 mins and painting the walls of the toilet then you might have a problem 5555

Haha... when I say diarrhea, I'm talking liquid poop. Like you are peeing out of your bum! For me, it always starts suddenly, usually in the middle of the night, so I immediately begin a BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) diet the next day and only drink electrolyte water, tea, and fresh coconut or guava juice. But, if it lasts more than 2-3 days without noticable improvement, then I take 500mg Azithromycin once a day for 3 days. I take it in conjunction with Loperamide (Imodium), 4mg after initial "day 3" diarrhea (when I also take the first Azithromycin) and 2mg each diarrhea thereafter, not exceeding 16mg per day over a course of 2 days. That always resolves it within 2 or 3 days.

The detail above is for others who come across this thread and may be looking for a solution. I certainly agree with all the prior posts, including the person who seems to do something similar to my regiment above, the person concerned about antibiotic resistance, and the person talking about sanitation and food safety issues. Such a complex issue to navigate!

Hats off to you guys who lived in SE Asia 20+ years and never, or rarely, had to deal with this issue! 🙏💩💧

No matter what, sooner or later you are going to squirt.

Thailand is much better than it was 30 years ago. So is Cambo.

Just excersize judgement. I dont eat Hoy Kaeng, or Puu, or street sushi, or a handful of salad at a vendors table, and I try to ensure my food is cooked. The last time I spewed though, it was from hot tasty Lad Naar in a nice reputation place, and my Thai friend ate it at the same time and was fine. Were my hands dirty? Did I pick it up earlier?

Its very random, but it strikes.

• Agree 1

I have had pretty bad diarrhea/vomiting in Australia, Singapore, USA, Libya, all food or water related. Rarely (i.e. less than once a year) in UK. Brother got severe food poisoning in the UK a couple of years ago - from a hamburger stall.

In Thailand, on my first holiday, surprised to get only very mild upset once. In 16 years since then, mainly living in Thailand, have had maybe 3 times when i actually felt unwell, but not bad enough to need medicine. Otherwise just some loose motions, one time only. live in a semi-rural area,  work the garden and most days also fish ponds, so exposed to LOTS of bacteria. But never a significant problem. Just wash my hands after any work, use tap water to clean my teeth. Guess i quickly built up immunity in Thailand. Wife buys in quite a few meals.

The Pepto Bismol tablets are great for lining your stomachs and preventing food poisoning. I used in India and didn't fall ill at all. I took (an excessive) 6-a-day. But this would be dangerous if done in the long run.

For Thailand, any sign of nausea then I will immediately take one Pepto tablet, although the liquid version is is to be preferred if you already feel ill. This is about once every 4 weeks.

I found this cuts my rates of involuntary toilet events by 90%. The nausea resolves rapidly after popping a Pepto, and diarrhoea is rare now.

• Thanks 1