Jermaine Jenas Apologizes to Female Colleagues Following BBC Dismissal

Social Media

image.png

Jermaine Jenas, a former Premier League footballer and BBC presenter, has issued a heartfelt apology to his female colleagues after being dismissed from his roles at the broadcaster. The 41-year-old, who had been a familiar face on programs like "Match of the Day" and "The One Show," was let go after a female colleague raised concerns about inappropriate messages he had sent.

In the aftermath of his dismissal, Jenas initially expressed his regret, describing himself as "ashamed" and "deeply sorry" for his actions. However, he has now taken the opportunity to directly address the women involved, acknowledging the impact of his behavior. "I always thought it was consensual and a two-way thing," Jenas said in an interview with The Sun on Sunday. Despite his belief at the time that the interactions were mutual, he has since come to realize the gravity of his actions and the distress they caused.

Jenas has strongly denied any criminal wrongdoing but expressed frustration at being unable to apologize to the women personally due to legal constraints. "When it was all unfolding and I knew I was losing my job, I asked HR if I could contact the two women directly and apologize to both of them," he explained. "But because of the legal process, I wasn't allowed. I didn't get the opportunity to say sorry to them at that particular point when I really wanted to apologize." His regret is evident as he continued, "I really want to apologize from the bottom of my heart in terms of what I've put them through."

Addressing the women directly, Jenas said, "I'm genuinely sorry for what I've done to you. I always thought it was consensual and a two-way thing." These words highlight his struggle to reconcile his perception of the interactions with the reality of the pain he caused.

Jenas, who has been married to model Ellie Penfold for 13 years and is a father of four, revealed that he is currently receiving therapy to address what he describes as a "self-destructive streak" in his relationships. He admitted, "I'm not proud of what I wrote and what I said. And I do consider it cheating, yes, although nothing physical ever happened." He acknowledged his responsibility as a public figure and a representative of the BBC, stating, "This is all on me and I fully accept there is a level of responsibility that needs to be upheld when you're a member of the BBC. And I fell below those standards. I must take the responsibility."

The BBC confirmed Jenas's departure, with a spokesperson stating, "We can confirm that he is no longer part of our presenting line-up." However, Jenas has expressed dissatisfaction with the way the BBC handled his sacking and indicated that he would be consulting with his lawyers regarding the situation. Official figures published last year showed that Jenas earned between £190,000 to £194,999 for his work on programs like the FA Cup, "Match of the Day," and the World Cup. His salary for "The One Show," produced by BBC Studios, was not publicly disclosed.

The situation has added to the challenges facing the BBC, which is still dealing with the fallout from other recent scandals. The broadcaster has been under scrutiny following allegations of abuse on the set of one of its biggest shows, "Strictly Come Dancing," and the controversy surrounding former newsreader Huw Edwards.

In another candid interview with The Sun, Jenas shared that his wife Ellie was "raging" after he informed her of his dismissal due to the messages. He also revealed that he had to have "difficult conversations" with his two eldest children, aged 11 and 16, about the situation. "They’re obviously of an age where they’re aware of social media... that’s been hard," he said, acknowledging the wider impact of his actions on his family.

"I’ve let everyone down," Jenas admitted. "Even my dog looked at me disappointed." This moment of vulnerability underscores the depth of his remorse. He recognized that it was "time to own" his mistakes, adding, "I have been behaving in a certain way that’s just not been acceptable within our marriage. Ellie is completely innocent within all this. All she’s doing is at home, working her heart out, looking after my children."

As he reflected on the consequences of his actions, Jenas concluded, "The overriding factor is just how sorry I am to everybody." His apology, while perhaps belated, is a clear attempt to make amends for the pain he has caused, not only to the women involved but also to his family and those who looked up to him as a public figure.

Credit: The Independent 2024-08-27

news-logo-btm.jpg

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

Apologising to the cancel mob is the worst thing you could possibly do.

Without knowing the exact words used,I'm guessing that it was no worse than what used to happen in every office and factory in the world.

What's more the majority of gals used to love this sort of banter.Storm in a teacup.For fuucks sake,grow up.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/27/2024 at 3:37 AM, Social Media said:

"This is all on me and I fully accept there is a level of responsibility that needs to be upheld when you're a member of the BBC.

That's right Jermaine, there is.

On 8/27/2024 at 3:37 AM, Social Media said:

And I fell below those standards. "

Well, not really. The BBC's standards are extremely low. If fact, your behaviour is quite consistent with the behaviour of many BBC employees. Actually, it is far better than many, the likes of Huw Edwards etc. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:

Apologising to the cancel mob is the worst thing you could possibly do.

Without knowing the exact words used,I'm guessing that it was no worse than what used to happen in every office and factory in the world.

What's more the majority of gals used to love this sort of banter.Storm in a teacup.For fuucks sake,grow up.

So you don't know what it is about, but you do know his reaction is wrong. Strange.

• Thumbs Up 1