japanese encephalitis

I believe I have the correct disease in mind. 

I spend the majority of my life near the Mekong River, and I like to explore outdoors. 

I've spent a few years like this already, and well might spend the rest of my life in this fashion. 

What are the chances that (if not vaccinated) I would eventually get the Japanese encephalitis (or some other similar mosquito-borne condition) that would result in permanent neurological issues?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

I believe I have the correct disease in mind. 

I spend the majority of my life near the Mekong River, and I like to explore outdoors. 

I've spent a few years like this already, and well might spend the rest of my life in this fashion. 

What are the chances that (if not vaccinated) I would eventually get the Japanese encephalitis (or some other similar mosquito-borne condition) that would result in permanent neurological issues?

"Most JEV infections are mild (fever and headache) or without apparent symptoms, but approximately 1 in 250 infections results in severe clinical illness..

The majority of cases occur in children below 15 years of age.

Most adults in endemic countries have natural immunity after childhood infection, but individuals of any age may be affected".

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/japanese-encephalitis

Could you have already had it without noticing  and are already immune?

"Infection with JE virus confers lifelong immunity"

https://www.health.vic.gov.au/infectious-diseases/japanese-encephalitis

I don't know.

I had a couple Thai docs tell me not to bother when I asked.  Living in Udon Thani and spending plenty of time along the Mekong (Chiang Khan to Mukdahan) with every 90 days popping over to Laos, for about 10 years, at least.

UP2U ... personally haven't and wouldn't bother.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

I have seen people with permanent brain damage from this.

Years ago, working in refugee camps on the Thai border, one of the western relief workers got this and was in coma for many weeks in a Neuro ICU.

Not to be risked IMO. Exception being those who live in cities and spend no time in rural areas. Urban risk is very, very low since resevoir is pigs.

The advise to "never mind" is based on Thai populations -since most adults will already have been infected in childhood and thus immune. Same is not true of farangs.

• Thanks 1

Called a fat tailed risk statistically speaking.  Risk of JE is probably very low but with catastrophic results, if you get your bet wrong. Get the vaccine.  It is safe, effective and inexpensive.

• Agree 2