Do agents handle Extension of stay - based on marriage

For the last 5 years, my wife and I have renewed my extension of stay based on marriage ourselves at Hua Hin with 400k Baht in my account.

I have had some unforeseeable expenses recently and will not have the 400k Baht in my account; so I am wondering if I can get an agent to do the extension, and how much they might charge.

I don’t want to change to another type of extension because I will be able to go back to my normal procedure next year. Also any suggestions for an agent in Hua Hin welcome ….. thanks   

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Agent won't cover the financials for extension based on marriage.

Will suggest if over 50 to do extension based on retirement 

So 800k instead of 400k

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Celsius said:

So 800k instead of 400k

Indeed the agent will cover the 800k for extension based on retirement. 

OP....how long do you need to obtain the 400k 

You could obtain 60 day extension to visit wife.

Followed by border bounce enter visa exempt+ 30 day extension+ 60 day visit wife then obtain non O (marriage) at immigration and subsequent 12 month extension.

Very messy but an option

• Love It 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Agent won't cover the financials for extension based on marriage.

Will suggest if over 50 to do extension based on retirement 

Thanks DrJack, you have confirmed my worst fears because I think it will be difficult to go back to extension based on marriage, after I have done an extension based on retirement.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

I was told recently that's because every single marriage extension has to go to head office (hence the month's waiting time), but retirement extensions are processed locally.

You were told correctly.

The only assistance agent can do with extension marriage is hand holding excerise

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Thanks DrJack, you have confirmed my worst fears because I think it will be difficult to go back to extension based on marriage, after I have done an extension based on retirement.

are you sure about this? I don't see why it should be so - acknowledging that the marriage application is much more of a pain in the rectum.

I mean, someone could get married while on a retirement extension and then change?

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If you opt to use agent for an extension retirement then when year is up and extension due to expire you would best advised to exit Thailand and reenter visa exempt and obtain new non O based on marriage.

In other words start over.

Thanks DrJack, that sounds like the best, and maybe the only foolproof way of doing it. Probably the route I will take, many thanks 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

I mean, someone could get married while on a retirement extension and then change?

Yes can change what the extension is based on

eg retirement to marriage and other way round

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Thanks DrJack, that sounds like the best, and maybe the only foolproof way of doing it.

Here is one thread that outlines visa exempt to non O marriage and extension.

That OP required opening bank account so some posts irrelevant to your situation.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1315828-visa-exempt-to-90-day-non-o-spouse-visa-conversion-in-thailand/ 

Not possible to borrow the 400k.

It's only required for 2 months.?

Could most likely skip maintaining over under consideration period. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

are you sure about this? I don't see why it should be so - acknowledging that the marriage application is much more of a pain in the rectum.

One issue is that having an agent secure an extension based on retirement, is when changing the reason to marriage the following year, Immigration could well request proof of maintaining 800K for the 3-month period after the retirement extension and 400K for the remaining 7 months thereafter.

To circumvent that financial requirement, as @DrJack54 pointed out, is to exit and re-enter either VE > Non O > extension, or obtain Non O based on Thai spouse > extension.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Here is one thread that outlines visa exempt to non O marriage and extension.

That OP required opening bank account so some posts irrelevant to your situation.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1315828-visa-exempt-to-90-day-non-o-spouse-visa-conversion-in-thailand/ 

Not possible to borrow the 400k.

It's only required for 2 months.?

Could most likely skip maintaining over under consideration period. 

Thanks DrJack, I might indeed be able to borrow the 400k from the UK; but this then raises the ugly and confusing issue of whether or not I might need to pay tax on remitting such a lump from overseas.

19 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

One issue is that having an agent secure an extension based on retirement, is when changing the reason to marriage the following year, Immigration could well request proof of maintaining 800K for the 3-month period after the retirement extension and 400K for the remaining 7 months thereafter.

To circumvent that financial requirement, as @DrJack54 pointed out, is to exit and re-enter either VE > Non O > extension, or obtain Non O based on Thai spouse > extension.

Very good points you make; every year for the last 5 years, they have found some pedantic reason to make the marriage extension difficult. For 4 years they accepted the bank letter from the previous day, this year they made us go back to the bank to get another one dated on the day.

They do everything possible to be unhelpful, obviously trying to drive me into the welcoming arms of an agent; they would definitely try and shaft me unless I do as DrJack suggests and leave Thailand and reenter starting over … thanks for your input

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Thanks DrJack, I might indeed be able to borrow the 400k from the UK; but this then raises the ugly and confusing issue of whether or not I might need to pay tax on remitting such a lump from overseas.

Taxing foreign income that's already been taxed at source - not happening.
UK and Thailand have reciprocal agreements on taxation.

Tax inspectors knocking on your door informing to register for tax before Jan 2025 - No!

Any word on the subject from Immigration - No!

Read the latest news requiring all long term expats on annual extensions to register for tax - neither have I!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

They do everything possible to be unhelpful, obviously trying to drive me into the welcoming arms of an agent

That and in addition immigration prefers extensions based on retirement. Less paperwork.

Regards your other post referring to taxation I would worry about that when/if occurs.

Think if you can bring 400k from UK then that would be best option.

Actually I'm in similar situation.

Actually only have 400k in my thai bank and need 800k for extension retirement seasoned for two months.

Transferring 400k+ today using WISE from Oz. 

Will land in my Thai bank in quick time. 

In couple of months trot off to CW for extension 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Very good points you make; every year for the last 5 years, they have found some pedantic reason to make the marriage extension difficult. For 4 years they accepted the bank letter from the previous day, this year they made us go back to the bank to get another one dated on the day.

I use the Fixed term account, but update passbook and request 3 month statement + letter, all on the morning of applying for an extension.

Leave nothing to chance at the whim of an IO.

Which office do you use?

4 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

I use the Fixed term account, but update passbook and request 3 month statement + letter, all on the morning of applying for an extension.

I'm the same. Letter always has been on the day of extension. Buriram IO.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Which office do you use?

My wife asked for the 3 month statements and letter when we had to go back to the bank last year, although I thought I only needed 2 months; but like you say, leave nothing to chance. I have to use Hua Hin, and they have several very unfriendly witches working there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

They do everything possible to be unhelpful, obviously trying to drive me into the welcoming arms of an agent; they would definitely try and shaft me unless I do as DrJack suggests and leave Thailand and reenter starting over … thanks for your input

My IO office has always wanted Everything the same day, including bank statement and the Kor 2. They hate  doing marriage extensions as it in my IO words " It's so much work" :violin:they always try to get me to change to retirement, it's not because they want me to use an agent, it's a; because their work is checked by head office, b; 'Coz their k-ing lazy.

For me it's just one day a year 1.900 baht job done

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My IO office has always wanted Everything the same day, including bank statement and the Kor 2. They hate  doing marriage extensions as it in my IO words " It's so much work" :violin:they always try to get me to change to retirement, it's not because they want me to use an agent, it's a; because their work is checked by head office, b; 'Coz their k-ing lazy.

For me it's just one day a year 1.900 baht job done

Yes, I know they don’t like doing the extension by marriage because of the work involved; at Hua Hin they have accepted the bank letter from the previous day for the last 4 years, so it is difficult to know what they will accept. They still accept Kor 2 from the previous day.

• Like 1

Just now, Eloquent pilgrim said:

My wife asked for the 3 month statements and letter when we had to go back to the bank last year, although I thought I only needed 2 months; but like you say, leave nothing to chance. I have to use Hua Hin, and they have several very unfriendly witches working there.

The list from my IO it states a 3 month statement. I use Krungsri bank very quick, 20min max. for letter and statement. And yet nowhere on their list does it say same day.

moneyformarry.thumb.jpg.dcbe8b622af4bb0fc857c86704fa3062.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Yes, I know they don’t like doing the extension by marriage because of the work involved; at Hua Hin they have accepted the bank letter from the previous day for the last 4 years, so it is difficult to know what they will accept. They still accept Kor 2 from the previous day.

Yes, when she winged to me about it I Politely pointed out that it was their rules not mine, she said "don't get angry" I wasn't, she was. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

It would be nice if all IO had the same rules, not only does mine TRAT, want everything the same day, but 6 glossy photos x 2 and our witness must come along too, So I have to drag her around all day, pay her ferry ticket from KC, buy her lunch, and give her 500b for lost wages. Plus my Mrs. has to close her shop/business and is on a 'Seefood' diet all day. :giggle:. But I have the routine off pat (not sure who Pat is though lol) now after all it is only 1 day a year, but I have to return for my stamp, more expense as wifey likes to come along too. :cheesy:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

the problem with agents suppling the 800,000thb for the extension is getting away from them to do it yourself the following year, married or retirement, as you have not complied with the 2 months before, 3 months after and 400,000thb remainder of the year, best to stay away from agents and find an alternative,

• Like 1

Just ask at your immigration office if there's anything they can do, probably cost about 15000 to sort it out, they will cover the money you are short then once you got the bank letter you send it back to them 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, steve187 said:

as you have not complied with the 2 months before, 3 months after and 400,000thb remainder of the year

So an IO might want to see retirement-rules financials next year even if you're applying for marriage?

Yes we all know they make it up as they go along, but that's a bit byzantine, isn't it?

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

It would be nice if all IO had the same rules, not only does mine TRAT, want everything the same day, but 6 glossy photos x 2 and our witness must come along too, So I have to drag her around all day, pay her ferry ticket from KC, buy her lunch, and give her 500b for lost wages. Plus my Mrs. has to close her shop/business and is on a 'Seefood' diet all day. :giggle:. But I have the routine off pat (not sure who Pat is though lol) now after all it is only 1 day a year, but I have to return for my stamp, more expense as wifey likes to come along too. :cheesy:

Indeed. I have the same palaver every year with the witness issue; one of my wife’s friends, who would appear to have not eaten for 5 days prior to me buying her lunch in one of Hua Hin’s seafood restaurants … but what can one do ¯\_()_/¯

• Haha 1