African travellers must register for health pass to combat mpox

20 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Golly. I had better start preparing my suicide kit. How much are aspirins at Lotus these days?

They haven't sold aspirin at Tesco Lotus'sss,Big C ,Tops,

Sevell ellevel..Boots,Watson's etc etc for quite a few years now,   for some reason they seem to think its a class A drug ....yes i'm well aware of the danger of Aspirin and dengue fever.

There are sometimes 80mg

"for heart conditions" tablets available at silly prices in Fascino

"Tun Jai" aspirin powder in sachets I think is still available online.

• Agree 1

So how is MPOX transmitted?  If someone coughs on me can I get infected with MPOX?  Also, I know two people at my gym who just got over dengue.  Both were in and out of the hospital for a week(blood tests and other monitoring.  Since SE Asia is a hotspot for Dengue will African nations require pre-screeining for Dengue prior to boarding a flight?  I mean pre-screening and registration before departure can be applied to a number of infectious diseaes.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

1 hour ago, Keep Right said:

It appears that allot of nasty and deadly diseases originate in Africa including AIDS. I am glad that Thailand is taking action to prevent African visitors to Thailand from exposing its citizens to Monkey Pox.

I have been diagnosed as suffering from Pithecophobia which is the fear and hatred of monkeys and apes. This started from an early age when my parents took me to the big city and the zoo. I am not a hunter but if there was an open season on monkeys, I would take up hunting them. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

So how is MPOX transmitted?  If someone coughs on me can I get infected with MPOX? 

Mpox (formerly known as monkeypox) is a viral infection that can be transmitted to humans in several ways. The virus is related to the variola virus, which causes smallpox, but mpox is generally less severe. Here’s how it can be transmitted:

### **1. Direct Contact with Infected Animals:**
- **Animal to Human Transmission:** Mpox is a zoonotic disease, meaning it can spread from animals to humans. This can happen through direct contact with the blood, bodily fluids, or skin lesions of infected animals. Animals that can carry the virus include certain rodents (like squirrels and rats) and primates.

- **Eating Undercooked Meat:** Consuming meat from infected animals that is not properly cooked can also be a source of infection.

### **2. Human to Human Transmission:**
- **Close Physical Contact:** The virus can spread from person to person through direct contact with the skin lesions, body fluids, or respiratory secretions of an infected person. This includes close personal contact such as hugging, kissing, or sexual contact.

- **Respiratory Droplets:** Mpox can be transmitted through respiratory droplets, particularly during prolonged face-to-face contact. This is less common than transmission through direct contact but can occur.

- **Contaminated Objects:** The virus can survive on surfaces, so touching objects, clothing, or bedding that have been contaminated with the virus can lead to infection.

### **3. Mother-to-Child Transmission:**
- **Vertical Transmission:** Pregnant women can transmit the virus to their fetus through the placenta, which can result in congenital mpox.

### **Prevention Measures:**
- **Avoid Contact with Infected Individuals or Animals:** Limiting exposure to potentially infected animals and individuals is key.

- **Good Hygiene Practices:** Frequent handwashing, avoiding sharing personal items, and disinfecting surfaces can help reduce the risk of transmission.

- **Vaccination:** Smallpox vaccines have been found to be effective against mpox, and specific mpox vaccines have also been developed in recent years.

### **Summary:**
Mpox can be transmitted through direct contact with infected animals or humans, respiratory droplets, and contaminated objects. Preventive measures such as avoiding contact with infected individuals and animals, maintaining good hygiene, and vaccination can reduce the risk of contracting the virus.

Edited by Will B Good

9 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Mpox (formerly known as monkeypox) is a viral infection that can be transmitted to humans in several ways. The virus is related to the variola virus, which causes smallpox, but mpox is generally less severe. Here’s how it can be transmitted:

### **1. Direct Contact with Infected Animals:**
- **Animal to Human Transmission:** Mpox is a zoonotic disease, meaning it can spread from animals to humans. This can happen through direct contact with the blood, bodily fluids, or skin lesions of infected animals. Animals that can carry the virus include certain rodents (like squirrels and rats) and primates.

- **Eating Undercooked Meat:** Consuming meat from infected animals that is not properly cooked can also be a source of infection.

### **2. Human to Human Transmission:**
- **Close Physical Contact:** The virus can spread from person to person through direct contact with the skin lesions, body fluids, or respiratory secretions of an infected person. This includes close personal contact such as hugging, kissing, or sexual contact.

- **Respiratory Droplets:** Mpox can be transmitted through respiratory droplets, particularly during prolonged face-to-face contact. This is less common than transmission through direct contact but can occur.

- **Contaminated Objects:** The virus can survive on surfaces, so touching objects, clothing, or bedding that have been contaminated with the virus can lead to infection.

### **3. Mother-to-Child Transmission:**
- **Vertical Transmission:** Pregnant women can transmit the virus to their fetus through the placenta, which can result in congenital mpox.

### **Prevention Measures:**
- **Avoid Contact with Infected Individuals or Animals:** Limiting exposure to potentially infected animals and individuals is key.

- **Good Hygiene Practices:** Frequent handwashing, avoiding sharing personal items, and disinfecting surfaces can help reduce the risk of transmission.

- **Vaccination:** Smallpox vaccines have been found to be effective against mpox, and specific mpox vaccines have also been developed in recent years.

### **Summary:**
Mpox can be transmitted through direct contact with infected animals or humans, respiratory droplets, and contaminated objects. Preventive measures such as avoiding contact with infected individuals and animals, maintaining good hygiene, and vaccination can reduce the risk of contracting the virus.

Sounds like it can spread easily.  This is flawed because someone from Nigeria can fly to Europe or N. America and then fly to Asia.  What if this person is not of African descent?  People will slip through and then I guess the "Q" word might pop again?  I hope not because during the Covid times I did the "Q" three times. 

3 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Sounds like it can spread easily.  This is flawed because someone from Nigeria can fly to Europe or N. America and then fly to Asia.  What if this person is not of African descent?  People will slip through and then I guess the "Q" word might pop again?  I hope not because during the Covid times I did the "Q" three times. 

or....it is a(nother) massive hoax perpetrated by the likes of Bill Gates to sell more vaccines.....not sure how he gets the blisters to appear on the skin.....that is the clever bit.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Lorry said:

I have never seen anybody with these blisters,  neither have my friends. 

All I have seen are clearly AI generated pictures on CNN and BBC.

So, I am sure mpox is not real. I only believe my own eyes.

Good point....back in BKK next week.....going to keep a careful eye out for any blisters and report back.....if I see none that will be conclusive evidence that it is a hoax.

10 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Good point....back in BKK next week.....going to keep a careful eye out for any blisters and report back.....if I see none that will be conclusive evidence that it is a hoax.

Thx, waiting for your report. 

But remember,  the AI of the metaverse is now so powerful to make you see blisters on real people's skin where really are none.

Make sure to touch and feel if you see any blisters.  That's the only proof

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Thx, waiting for your report. 

But remember,  the AI of the metaverse is now so powerful to make you see blisters on real people's skin where really are none.

Make sure to touch and feel if you see any blisters.  That's the only proof

On it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

monkeypox-un2.webp

In addition to decisions regarding which groups of individuals in the country should receive the mpox (monkeypox) vaccine, Thailand is stepping up its fight against the spread of mpox with new travel regulations aimed at passengers arriving from Africa.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) and the Division of International Disease Control and Quarantine under the Ministry of Public Health jointly unveiled on August 23 new international guidelines to bolster Thailand’s surveillance against mpox. The initiative, driven by concerns over the rising mpox cases, aims to tighten control over passengers coming from high-risk regions.

This robust system is a product of collaboration among airline operators, Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited, the International Air Transport Association, Thai Airways Ground Customer Services Co., Ltd., and Phuket International Airport. Their collective effort focuses on establishing stringent screening measures for travellers from areas with elevated mpox infection rates, notably those in Africa.

CAAT and the Division have been vigilant since the mpox outbreak, conducting thorough risk assessments and implementing situation-based controls. Their findings have shown that high-infection regions for mpox overlap with areas affected by Yellow Fever in Africa, prompting heightened surveillance of passengers arriving on direct flights from these locations.

To enhance their containment strategy, officials now require airlines to ensure that passengers from these risk zones register with the Thai Health Pass system before entering the country.

This system meticulously logs entry and exit details, providing a crucial tool for tracing and managing potential cases. For those who haven’t registered before departure, the system allows for on-the-spot registration upon arrival at Thai airports.

In preparation, a comprehensive rehearsal was conducted at Suvarnabhumi and Phuket airports on August 22 to ensure all airlines were informed and ready to implement these measures immediately.

The decision follows a recent incident where a European man, who travelled from an African nation, arrived in Thailand on August 22, underscoring the urgency of these precautions. The situation will be closely monitored, with measures adjusted as necessary, reported KhaoSod English.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal 
Photo courtesy of KhaoSod English

image.jpeg

Is it available in English?

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

Just because there are different routes by which mpox can spread, does not mean it can spread easily.

In fact, as the info from the UK government website linked to below states: 

Mpox does not spread easily between people unless there is very close contact.

Mpox: background information

Also, as I mentioned on another thread about mpox, both the WHO and other medical experts have been at pains to stress that mpox "is not the new Covid."

4 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Just because there are different routes by which mpox can spread, does not mean it can spread easily.

In fact, as the info from the UK government website linked to below states: 

Mpox: background information

Also, as I mentioned on another thread about mpox, both the WHO and other medical experts have been at pains to stress that mpox "is not the new Covid."

See you've fallen for it......the UK government states.....I bet it really spreads like wildfire and we'll all have it before Christmas....so they can roll out the jabs and make a fortune.....🤭

• Haha 1

I don't know how relevant this is to the Thai government announcement.  

My most recent trip to Thailand was July 15 this year.   I flew on Ethiopian airlines from Newark, NJ airport.  Stopped in Togo (?), Lome for an hour to allow passengers to deboard and clean the inside of the aircraft.   In transit passengers were required to stay on board the aircraft.   Departed and flew to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia where everyone deboarded and where I changed aircraft then had about a 1.5 hour wait before boarding the next aircraft.   

At BKK as I was heading into the fast track line when a woman there asked to see my boarding pass.   She saw I had traveled on Ethiopian Airlines and told me I had to go for a health check (or what ever she actually said) and directed me to a booth that was just past a business a few meters away.   There were two arriving passengers there.  I waited behind one as she spoke with the TOT (?) official, she was Asian.  The other person already speaking with one TOT official was a white person with a sort of British accent.   From the conversation it sounded like he had traveled from from Africa (I forget what country) to BKK.   He kept arguing about not being sick and something else about health issues.   My wait till the lady in front of me left was about 5 minutes.   

TOT official asked a couple of question about my health, looked at my covid shot record, and asked me where I came from.  I told him Newark, NJ.  He said something, wrote something on a piece of paper, put it in my passport and told me I could go.   White guy was still arguing about his health being good when I left.   Lady at fast track looked at the paper in my passport and motioned me into the fast track immigration line.   That was about a 15-20 minute wait till I was stamped into Thailand. 

Edited by radiochaser

10 hours ago, radiochaser said:

My most recent trip to Thailand was July 15 this year.   I flew on Ethiopian airlines from Newark, NJ airport.  Stopped in Togo (?), Lome for an hour to allow passengers to deboard and clean the inside of the aircraft.   In transit passengers were required to stay on board the aircraft.   Departed and flew to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia where everyone deboarded and where I changed aircraft then had about a 1.5 hour wait before boarding the next aircraft.   

At BKK as I was heading into the fast track line when a woman there asked to see my boarding pass.   She saw I had traveled on Ethiopian Airlines and told me I had to go for a health check (or what ever she actually said) and directed me to a booth that was just past a business a few meters away.   There were two arriving passengers there.  I waited behind one as she spoke with the TOT (?) official, she was Asian.  The other person already speaking with one TOT official was a white person with a sort of British accent.   From the conversation it sounded like he had traveled from from Africa (I forget what country) to BKK.   He kept arguing about not being sick and something else about health issues.   My wait till the lady in front of me left was about 5 minutes.   

TOT official asked a couple of question about my health, looked at my covid shot record, and asked me where I came from.  I told him Newark, NJ.  He said something, wrote something on a piece of paper, put it in my passport and told me I could go.   White guy was still arguing about his health being good when I left.   Lady at fast track looked at the paper in my passport and motioned me into the fast track immigration line.   That was about a 15-20 minute wait till I was stamped into Thailand. 

So what happened to the guy being interrogated?

21 hours ago, radiochaser said:

11 hours ago, PJ71 said:

So what happened to the guy being interrogated?

I don't know.  "  White guy was still arguing about his health being good when I left. "

Edited by radiochaser