Pit Bull Attack in Bangkok Market Raises Safety Concerns (short)

Pit Bull Attack in Bangkok Market Raises Safety Concerns:

A pit bull attack in Bangkok's Charoen Phon market has sparked safety concerns after a resident was bitten twice by the roaming dog on August 28. The incident, which occurred in the busy Lotus Rama 1 area, gained attention on social media, highlighting community safety issues. Despite the high foot traffic, no measures were taken to secure the dog. The victim expressed frustration over the lack of action from local officials, emphasizing the risk posed by keeping such a dog in a crowded area. The situation has raised questions about public safety and pet owner responsibility.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Gaccha said:
18 hours ago, WDSmart said:

It should be just "Dog Attack in Bangkok Market." The dog's breed should not be of any concern. 

No.

Both issues are relevant.

Pit Bulls have very high rates of aggression, despite an odd club of cheerleading proponents defending their reputations. It's important to pushback against their nonsense.

It's also important to draw attention to the endless growth of feral dogs in Bangkok. Mahidol estimates 0.5% have rabies and those which bite must have a higher chance. 

Having now been bitten 4 times, I want to see some focus on this issue.

No, it's just that attacks by pit bulls are reported more frequently.

The increase in feral dogs is a problem created by humans. We're the ones that first brought them here and then abandoned them. We have to deal with that but in a compassionate way.

I have had 10 to 20 dogs for the past 20 years at my home (I live on about 24 rai in the mountains) and have never been bitten.

I also want to see some focus on this issue, but a focus that does not include just killing all pit bulls or feral dogs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, WDSmart said:

No, it's just that attacks by pit bulls are reported more frequently.

The increase in feral dogs is a problem created by humans. We're the ones that first brought them here and then abandoned them. We have to deal with that but in a compassionate way.

I have had 10 to 20 dogs for the past 20 years at my home (I live on about 24 rai in the mountains) and have never been bitten.

I also want to see some focus on this issue, but a focus that does not include just killing all pit bulls or feral dogs.

Your own experiences have nothing to do with the reality for those walking down the streets or in markets.

Like you, I have owned lots of dogs - but here in Thailand they are out of control.

I have been almost bitten 3 times over the years here - never back in Aust.

However, local Thai moral/social/religious norms preclude killing them (humanely).

Thais let them roam and breed without thought of the downstream consequences (atypical Thai).

One day - such as when the a child of a VIP/Royal is killed by a stray dog - Thais will respond and remove them. 

Until then, it is unrealistic to say there is no problem or that they are OK because your farm all is good.

But it is Thailand - so therefore the only thing we Expats can do is avoid dogs and never turn away or run.

IMO all pitbulls and several other breeds should be destroyed - they were breed to be violent killers.

We created them and therefore we can remove them - IMO that should be done except for rare circumstances.

Far too many are owned by idiots who dont train and control them - professionals only IMO. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Your own experiences have nothing to do with the reality for those walking down the streets or in markets.

Like you, I have owned lots of dogs - but here in Thailand they are out of control.

I have been almost bitten 3 times over the years here - never back in Aust.

However, local Thai moral/social/religious norms preclude killing them (humanely).

Thais let them roam and breed without thought of the downstream consequences (atypical Thai).

One day - such as when the a child of a VIP/Royal is killed by a stray dog - Thais will respond and remove them. 

Until then, it is unrealistic to say there is no problem or that they are OK because your farm all is good.

But it is Thailand - so therefore the only thing we Expats can do is avoid dogs and never turn away or run.

IMO all pitbulls and several other breeds should be destroyed - they were breed to be violent killers.

We created them and therefore we can remove them - IMO that should be done except for rare circumstances.

Far too many are owned by idiots who dont train and control them - professionals only IMO. 

I disagree with your general premises, but I do respect the polite way you replied to my previous post.

On 8/31/2024 at 8:49 AM, WDSmart said:

I'll happily focus on that, just as soon as I get over the neighbor's ungovernable pittie eating my wife's cat.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2