Weight of Checked Luggage.

10 hours ago, impulse said:

The problem with "looking it up" is that there's often a big difference between the published policy, and what they allow passengers to get away with. 

I really don't want any drama at check-in, so I just follow published policy. Works.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

All it says is up to 158 cm (Length+weight+height). That does not tell anything. I hate googling things.

Doesn't matter, you are fine.   You have an exception to the size and the weight restrictions that little people have (you know, that ones who google).   Trust, me.   Fill that huge trunk sucker up!!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Fly with Air India and you get a astonishing 46kg in economy !

I'm on them one way on their new A350 out of Heathrow next month and was presented with that 2pcs on Eticket without explanation

Got hold of agent Travel Trolley who as always answered in minutes via email confirming its actually 23kg each and not in total which is what I had wrongly assumed

Complete bonus as trip is very long and was thinking 20kg or 23kg was going to be tight

11 hours ago, BigStar said:
21 hours ago, impulse said:

The problem with "looking it up" is that there's often a big difference between the published policy, and what they allow passengers to get away with. 

I really don't want any drama at check-in, so I just follow published policy. Works.

Some of us don't mind living on the edge.  Especially when the worst case scenario is pulling out a hundred bucks or so to pay the excess baggage fee.  It's not as if they charge me extra for trying to pull one over on them...  And it's also not as if I'm the only one in the queue that's doing it.

8 hours ago, still kicking said:

Talking about wheelchairs they are not heavy at all I bought a fold up one it only weights 11 kg 

Some are very heavy, and unfortunately for me that is what I brought from OZ at the time, many years ago, but I didn't need it anymore after 6 months. (broken pelvis at the time).

8 hours ago, Chivas said:

Fly with Air India and you get a astonishing 46kg in economy !

Is that a function of Air India, or the route?   The same (China) airlines that charge 4100 baht for any checked bags at all from BKK to China, offer 2 free checked bags (50lb each) on economy routes from China to the USA.  Because that's what the competition has offered forever on those routes.

I miss the old days when my mileage status got me 3 x 70lb bags, free in economy.  But I digress.

23 hours ago, simon43 said:

I mean your comment about metres and cm.  You comment about GBP, so I assume you're British, like me.  The UK changed over to the metric system when I was about 5 years old (mid 1960's).

Unfortunately, we stopped partway. I had a friend and neighbour (now deceased) who hadn't (or couldn't) accept that temperatures had been expressed in Celsius for decades. Having said that, most people I know in UK insist upon continuing to use feet/inches and stones/pounds for their own height and weight.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Is that a function of Air India, or the route?   The same (China) airlines that charge 4100 baht for any checked bags at all from BKK to China, offer 2 free checked bags (50lb each) on economy routes from China to the USA.  Because that's what the competition has offered forever on those routes.

I miss the old days when my mileage status got me 3 x 70lb bags, free in economy.  But I digress.

I'm genuinely not sure. If I guess I'd say Air India