The Importance of Respecting Trump Voters

Social Media

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

When a Trump supporter starts giving me a sensible argument highlighting his defects as well as his purported virtues, backed up by facts and logic, I'll begin respecting them.

As no Trump supporter is prepared to admit Trump has any flaws whatsoever, it will be a long wait.

So you judge politicians on personal flaws. Imagine if the average foreigner in Thailand had their personal lives judged by the world. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, candide said:

Ok. We should not mock people who believe ridiculous conspiracy theories, such as Pizzagate, Birther, or the Big Lie! 😀

3 minutes ago, Chwooly said:

So you only respect those that agree with you. Wait, I almost called you a democrat but honestly your view is more fascist then anything else since you only respect and believe those that agree with you. The amount of criminality that the Biden family has been party to and the MSM hides. the 56 friends of the Clintons that have "committed" suicide. the over 600 democrats that have been arrested for corruption in California over the last 10 years. But hey keep telling yourself that Trump is the enemy of Democracy, When the current presidential candidate for the democrats was not chosen in a primary but was selected by fiat and she was the 1 candidate the ran against Biden and received ZERO primary votes the 1 time she actually was part of the primary process. But again keep trying to sell that Trump is the danger.  

Ok. Also not mock people who believe other ridiculous conspiracy theories, such as Clinton friends being eliminated, etc.... 😀

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DougieMax said:

I think your friend is overreacting a bit. He's definitely right about Kamala being illegal. Everything connected to the Biden presidency is illegal and rigged. Burying the laptop story with the connivance and corruption of the media, judiciary and law enforcement is just part of the problem. Others are the mysterious massive pile of ballots that showed up in the wee hours of the morning after polls were closed that were all magically for Biden. It goes on and on. So your friend is right about American elections being rigged, but sometimes when the candidate is just reeking like Hillary was and Kamala is now, the cheating is not enough to win. In other words, it's possible to lose a rigged election as Hillary learned all too well. We'll be able to replace Hillary's face with Kamala's here pretty soon.

Welcome to the forum ‘Dougie’.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Social Media said:

image.png

The tendency to demonize those who sympathize with Trump alienates voters that Democrats need to reach. It’s challenging to win over people you scorn, and more importantly, it’s unjust to ridicule working-class Americans struggling economically and socially. Many Trump supporters are people left behind by economic shifts, suffering from addiction and despair, often dying young. They deserve empathy, not mockery. It’s essential to criticize Trump without generalizing or belittling the millions of Americans who have sided with him.

Living in a rural area, I have old friends who are Trump supporters. One friend, a kind and generous woman, supports Trump because she feels betrayed by both political establishments. She faced hardship when factories closed, losing her job, her home, and even battling addiction. Her pain and loss make her receptive to Trump’s promises to restore jobs. Her commitment to him only deepens when she hears liberals mock her faith, which helped her survive homelessness, or label her as “deplorable.”

Another example is my hairdresser, whose daughter struggled with addiction, leading her to leave her job to care for her grandson. Her replacement also faced loss when her husband died of an overdose, and she now supports her addicted son. She’s not politically engaged, doesn’t trust Trump, sees him as a bully, and is frustrated with Democrats over rising food prices. “I’m not sure how I’ll vote,” she said, “or if I’ll vote.” She’s a hardworking person who would benefit from Democratic policies, yet she’s hesitant because of how her struggles are often dismissed.

Working-class Americans have every right to feel abandoned. In the aftermath of the September 11 attacks, the U.S. spent trillions on wars, but the response to the ongoing crisis of deaths from drugs, alcohol, and suicide has been minimal. Blue-collar communities are fraying, and people are justifiably angry. Since Obama’s presidency, Democrats have increasingly attracted educated voters, sometimes at the expense of their working-class roots. In a nation where 74 percent of people believe in God and only 38 percent hold a college degree, condescension toward those without higher education is a losing strategy.

Harvard philosopher Michael Sandel criticizes the disdain for less educated people as “the last acceptable prejudice” in America. He’s correct: the scorn that elites sometimes express toward working-class voters is something they would never openly show towards other groups. This prejudice risks distancing the Democratic Party from its historical commitment to standing up for working-class Americans, a legacy that dates back to Franklin Roosevelt’s advocacy for “the forgotten man at the bottom of the economic pyramid.”

In recent years, liberals have focused intensely on issues of racial and gender inequality, often overlooking class disparities. Research by Harvard economist Raj Chetty highlights that while racial inequality persists, class divisions are now the more significant factor driving inequality. A comprehensive discussion on inequality today must address both race and class, recognizing that for many people of color, these disadvantages intersect.

Kamala Harris, understanding this dynamic, chose a running mate who appeals to working-class voters through his words and policies. She can also credibly present herself as a candidate who worked her way up, contrasting with opponents born into privilege. After tweeting Clinton’s comments on respecting those we disagree with, I received heated replies insisting that Trump supporters deserve contempt. However, resorting to insults rarely wins over undecided voters, just as Trump supporters’ derogatory terms fail to persuade liberals.

Donald Trump’s divisiveness has brought out the worst in both his supporters and his critics, fostering mutual hostility. It’s time to take a step back and embrace Clinton’s advice, showing empathy rather than disdain. By treating all voters with respect, Democrats can not only improve their electoral prospects but also contribute to a more civil political environment. Winning hearts and minds starts with listening—and that’s the path forward.

Credit: NYT 2024-09-02

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

The level of <removed> on this site is truly disturbing. 

1 hour ago, blazes said:

I quake in my Nikes as I contemplate losing your "respect".  But I do respect your right to hold the moronic opinion that mentioning the truth is an act of "mudslinging."  

Shame on you, they are not gold sneakers? Well, I respect the fact you have the wit not to buy them, meaning you are only half way there.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Here’s the thing … I am them! That is, I was raised working middle class in a blue collar union family. Dad was a welder, at the end of WW II an Aviation Metalsmith. I come from a long documented DNA line of working middle class back to before the USA was even founded and retired as a member of the working middle class unable to afford a sustainable retirement income necessary to live in my own country. So, middle class respect? It is a given. Where there is a large difference is that I did go on to gain an education which resulted in my appreciation for both the justified frustration/anger within the working middle class and also being quite aware that Trump and his Project 2025 ilk are not the answer. We have been here before if you are aware of the time period building up to WW II … oh, not due to the war scenarios but rather the economic strain tempting Americans to veer toward authoritarian rule. Fortunately, that temptation was beaten back. This time? With the current scenario … and IF the vast majority of American citizens do vote, I think the authoritarian draw will again be beaten back by a decided majority. I certainly hope so as I would not want to lose my country. Now shall we discuss the attack on the educated, education in general, call for doing away with the Dept. of Education to have parochial interests decide what can be taught? There was a reason to adopt a public education system in order to advance the country’s interests and beat back ignorance. Indeed, the election decides if we devolve into 50 states with their own residents rights or if we remain a country with American citizen rights …

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1