"Hollywoodgate": A Haunting Look at Afghanistan’s Turmoil After U.S. Withdrawal

Social Media

image.png

What happened to the military hardware left behind when the United States pulled out of Afghanistan? In 2021, just days after the last American soldiers departed, Egyptian documentarian Ibrahim Nash’at arrived in Afghanistan to find out. Granted exclusive permission to film the Taliban, Nash’at captured a chilling glimpse of the aftermath in his film, “Hollywoodgate,” named after the stenciled door of a deserted American military base that was once believed to be a CIA facility.

Nash’at’s film chronicles the year he spent in Afghanistan, revealing what he witnessed between his vision as a filmmaker and the Taliban’s agenda. In a restrained opening narration, Nash’at sets modest expectations, admitting, “I thought the Taliban would find and fix a couple of rifles.” What he discovered, however, was far beyond what he imagined.

“Hollywoodgate” unfolds like a slow-burning thriller, devoid of interviews, limited voice-over, and sparse action. The film follows Nash’at as he shadows his main subjects, Air Force Commander Mawlawi Mansour and Lieutenant M.J. Mukhtar. As the Taliban comb through the abandoned military site, they uncover a shocking array of items left behind: perfectly functional gym equipment, crates of medicine, unopened alcohol, and trashed computers purposely destroyed to protect sensitive information. However, the most startling discovery is revealed in the final 15 minutes of the film—an estimated $7.12 billion worth of disabled military equipment, including Black Hawk helicopters, fighter jets, transport planes, armored vehicles, fuel, ammunition, and spare parts.

The film’s climax occurs during the first anniversary celebration of the Taliban’s return to power. Mansour parades the recovered military hardware before Afghanistan’s prime minister and dignitaries from Russia, Pakistan, Iran, and other allied nations, reminiscent of military pageants seen in regimes like Nazi Germany and North Korea. The display of firepower is both surreal and terrifying, underscoring the dangerous potential of what was left behind.

Throughout the film, we see glimpses of the Taliban retraining pilots from the previous regime, watched closely by armed guards, and hear Mukhtar express his chilling aspirations of martyrdom, stating his desire to kill Americans before he dies. The movie concludes with a tense phone call recorded between Mansour and the defense minister of Tajikistan, whom Mansour accuses of harboring anti-Taliban insurgents.

Nash’at’s mission was perilous. Restricted from filming ordinary Afghans, he faced constant scrutiny from his Taliban handlers. “If his intentions are bad, he will die soon,” Mansour warns ominously at one point, while other soldiers eye the filmmaker with suspicion, some referring to him as “that devil.” Despite the Taliban’s micromanagement, Nash’at captures fleeting, candid moments that hint at the underlying struggles of the regime’s leadership. Mansour, for instance, questions the legitimacy of a new law requiring women to cover their faces, exposing his uncertainty about its conformity to sharia law. He also reveals that his wife, a doctor, was forbidden from practicing medicine after their engagement.

Mukhtar’s views are equally disturbing, comparing women to “unwrapped chocolates” in an allegory that reduces them to objects needing protection from the world’s impurities. These moments provide insight into the minds of men whose extreme ideologies now shape the lives of millions in Afghanistan.

“Hollywoodgate” is an oblique yet gripping portrait of a nation trapped in extremism. Nash’at’s closing words capture the haunting essence of his experience: “What I tried to show is what I saw. Because I held this camera, I was kept away from the daily suffering of the Afghans. Yet I feel it everywhere I go. Inside all the gates I went through, one thing I cannot move past is the obscene power of those who worship war, and the pain that it causes for generations.” His film stands as a stark reminder of the enduring consequences of conflict and the human cost of power in the wrong hands.

Credit: W.P. 2024-09-02

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1

What did you expect when the previous administration released all 5000 terriosts without engaging the government in charge allowing time for them to organize .if that equipment is still in one place it should be destroyed .

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Such hubris was involved in both the Afghan and Iraqi wars. So many mistakes. Such astonishing ignorance. History never served the fools who made these decisions, and got hundreds of thousands killed, broke so many promises and ended up abandoning the people who put their lives on the line. 

And the US continues to abandon its injured soldiers, on a daily basis, with the horrific VA failures.

The neocons should have been charged and imprisoned, or put to death. 

They should have been yes, where were the ICC arrest warrants back then?

Now they are all applauded by the us congress

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thaipo7 said:

Your remark does not pass the smell test.  From what I recall the 5,000 were released after the great Biden left Bagram AB in the middle of the night, not notifying his counterpart in Afghanistan.  With no US presence the 5,000 prisoners were released.  Nothing you print passes the smell test.  THIS IS WHAT I FOUND AND I STAND BY IT:   Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby said on Friday that "thousands" of ISIS-K terrorists have been released from the prison at the Bagram Air Base since President Joe Biden's administration abandoned it on July 1.   Trump was not in office with Biden.  GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!!!

You get your facts straight,refer to micro b s post he’s better at computers than I you are mistaken your trump poisoned the whole withdrawal he’s an ugly vindictive nasty little New York City trust fund baby he is what he is….wake up!!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Tug said:

What did you expect when the previous administration released all 5000 terriosts without engaging the government in charge allowing time for them to organize .if that equipment is still in one place it should be destroyed .

You touched on an important aspect regarding the abandoning of military assets. Trump's administration was responsible to identify and provide the full details of the military inventory including the locations where they were kept and stored. They didn't complete the audit and it made the task of retrieving and destruction of the equipment in such a short time arduous. 

3 hours ago, MicroB said:

The equipment can't simply be destroyed. There was all different kinds of pieces of equipment, each requiring a difference verified process to be developed, units trained, and verifications carried out,

I'm interested by that. Seems you are saying that the equipment was left intact for the Taliban because of military bureaucracy. Say it isn't so!

Equipment can always be destroyed, all it takes is a basic training course in use of explosives and sufficient explosives of the correct sort for demolition. I myself passed a demolition course and am able to render almost any machinery unusable given the appropriate means. The entire thing does not have to be destroyed to render it useless.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Just another Biden failure. One of many. The guy couldn't run a bath let alone a country. 

And you deliberately ignore the mess that trump created, passed down to biden and with little/zero chance any withdrawal would be smooth with limited casualties/deaths all round.

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And you deliberately ignore the mess that trump created, passed down to biden and with little/zero chance any withdrawal would be smooth with limited casualties/deaths all round.

Amusing how Dems have been in power for 12 of the last 16 years yet all of Americas problems before and after Trump are Trump's fault. 😃

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Amusing how Dems have been in power for 12 of the last 16 years yet all of Americas problems before and after Trump are Trump's fault. 😃

It’s just the mismanagement during those 4 years in between you’d prefer were not examined.

• Thumbs Up 1