NASA Astronaut Reports Mysterious Sounds from Starliner Days Before Autopilot Return

Social Media

image.png

A NASA astronaut aboard the International Space Station (ISS) recently reported hearing an unusual noise emanating from the Boeing Starliner spacecraft. The report came just days before the spacecraft was scheduled to undock from the ISS and attempt a return to Earth on autopilot. The astronaut, Butch Wilmore, who has been stationed on the ISS, relayed his concerns to Mission Control at Johnson Space Center in Houston.

Listen to Real Audio

During a radio communication, Wilmore described the noise, holding up a device to capture the sound and allow Mission Control to hear it clearly. In the recorded exchange, a distinct pulsating sound can be heard at regular intervals, resembling a sonar ping. "Butch, that one came through," Mission Control confirmed after initially struggling to detect the sound. "It was kind of like a pulsating noise, almost like a sonar ping."

Wilmore, attempting to provide further clarity, offered to replay the sound. "I’ll do it one more time and let you all scratch your heads and see if you can figure out what’s going on," he said, replaying the sound for Mission Control. He then clarified that the sound was coming from a speaker inside the Starliner capsule. Mission Control assured him that the recording would be forwarded for further analysis and promised to update him on any findings.

The strange noise was first brought to public attention by Ars Technica, which cited a recording initially captured and shared by Michigan-based meteorologist Rob Dale. As of now, the source of the sound remains unidentified. Fox News Digital has reached out to both Mission Control and Boeing to inquire if the origin of the sound has been determined, but no conclusive information has been provided.

The Starliner spacecraft is set to undock from the ISS without a crew and is expected to land in the New Mexico desert using its autopilot system. NASA had previously deemed it too risky to bring back Wilmore and fellow astronaut Suni Williams in the Starliner, delaying their return until February.

This mission has faced numerous challenges, initially planned as a weeklong trip in early June. However, the mission has been plagued by issues, including thruster failures and helium leaks. Boeing, which has been relying on Starliner’s first crewed mission to revitalize its troubled spacecraft program, has faced years of delays and escalating costs. Despite these setbacks, the company has maintained that the Starliner is safe, citing successful recent thruster tests conducted both in space and on the ground.

Credit: NYP 2024-09-03

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

definitely sounded like some kind of ping from sonar. but why would it emanate from the speakers? I hope they find out the cause. I suspect the pulses came from some type of satellite tracking from a foreign nation.. But i guess time will tell when they learn the truth of it. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

definitely sounded like some kind of ping from sonar. but why would it emanate from the speakers? I hope they find out the cause. I suspect the pulses came from some type of satellite tracking from a foreign nation.. But i guess time will tell when they learn the truth of it. 

i think NASA already know..that's why we were allowed to see the video.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1