Tourists Under Investigation for Illegal Fishing in National Park

webfact

resize_567000008226505.webp

Picture courtesy: MGR online - ณัฐวุฒิ แซ่เอีย

Authorities in Thailand have launched a legal investigation into a couple caught fishing illegally within the protected boundaries of Khao Yai National Park. This incident was revealed when the couple posted photos of themselves angling in the park on social media.

The images, shared in a social media group dedicated to the national park, showed the couple enjoying a fishing trip at Thung Kwang, a popular tourist spot within the park. Accompanied by a casual caption about a relaxing weekend, the post sparked immediate backlash from online users who noted that fishing within the park is strictly prohibited.

Chaiya Huayhongthong, the head of Khao Yai National Park, confirmed that legal action has been initiated against the couple. "We have instructed our legal team to file a police report against these individuals," he stated. "Their actions are a clear violation of the National Parks Act and constitute wildlife poaching."

Under the National Parks Act of 2019, engaging in activities such as luring, capturing, or harming wildlife within a national park is strictly forbidden. Additionally, the act prohibits the use of any tools or weapons for hunting or capturing animals, stressing the severity of the couple's infraction.

Chaiya expressed disappointment over the couple's blatant disregard for the park’s regulations and stressed the importance of visitor education regarding the rules governing national parks. "We have never encountered such a blatant violation before," he said. "We urge all visitors to familiarize themselves with the park's guidelines before their visit."

The incident has raised further questions about the enforcement of park regulations and the need for stricter measures to protect wildlife and natural resources. Resident wildlife and delicate ecosystems within Khao Yai National Park face constant threats from human activities, making adherence to regulations crucial for conservation efforts.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-03

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Presnock said:

Oh you mean like in other countries too as they always seem to post "Fishing is not allowed"  as even in other countries most of the locals would not realize the state or local rules either.  IF police find one doing it in an unmarked location, they just inform those fishermen that it is illegal to fish there and no problems but here, they probable want a big fine and possible incarceration for several years.

Something like that 🙂 

28 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

I have told you a million times before not to exaggerate.

And I have asked you to stop stalking. How about the questions in the TAT revenue thread? Have you come to them yet?

1 hour ago, connda said:

Crime Of The Century!!!  Did ya ever think that they just didn't know that fishing was illegal?  Why club them with social media.  Pull them aside, correct their actions, issue a fine if needed and let it go.  Instead - FOREIGNERS CAUGHT ILLEGALLY FISHING!!!!!  Back to racism.  I seriously doubt you'd hear a peep if it was Thais caught fishing in some pond in a national park.  Freaking sad, the ethnocentric xenophobia.

I doubt very much that they are foreigners.

They would almost certainly been described as such if they had been.

They look like a couple of Thais on a day trip from the city.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Yes. All sorted.

you had your USD mixed up with THB

No, I didn´t. You are 100% wrong there, and that´s why you can´t answer in that thread.

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No, I didn´t. You are 100% wrong there, and that´s why you can´t answer in that thread.

How could I be wrong.

A prediction was made by the experts.

I am not going to believe some clown on the Internet with no access to any figures or reality. 

58 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

How could I be wrong.

A prediction was made by the experts.

I am not going to believe some clown on the Internet with no access to any figures or reality. 

This is the wrong thread for this. But you still don´t understand that the 1,8 trillion is the total estimate for the full year, if they get what they think the last 4 months. They are only up to about 80% of the 2019 record as for now.

On 9/3/2024 at 4:22 PM, Enoon said:

I doubt very much that they are foreigners.

They would almost certainly been described as such if they had been.

They look like a couple of Thais on a day trip from the city.

The term "Tourist" often means "foreigner."  But granted there are Thai domestic tourists.  But the same applies:  Pull them aside, correct their actions, issue a fine if needed and let it go. Making this a social media freak-show isn't necessary.

• Like 1

Going by that photo, it looks like vast amounts of weed killer has been used all around the pond, even at the waters edge the grass is dead, I know they spray it in my area along the road verges. There certainly has not been a drought in that area.