The Bangkok River Level Thread 2024 - Post your images and local situation here.

Crossy

12 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I understand you don't seem to be concerned about drowning, but what about filth and disease?

At the moment the water does actually move up and down with the tide so no real issues, and there's loads of fish in there that eat mozzie larvae.

If the flooding gets bad then it does become a bit of a worry, but we don't swim in it.

Back in 2011 the government were distributing the plans for a dunny on floats (4 oil drums), now that would be an issue!!.

EDIT Found a photo 

image.png.ec86fd9fdbdb77ea5e9546af7072c525.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not much to report this morning, I've measured our current level at 1.6m below "Worry" so with the predicted surge coming from "up north" we should be OK.

Next high at Pak Kret will be at about 10AM, current level looks OK. 

That camera needs a sun-shade.

image.png.0c1f7e85290763b8401a596d6fc17da7.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, impulse said:

Maybe they fired up the water pushing boats?

They let Old Ploddy out of jail in 2020, he's 79 now, still in his prime!

Now, about those water pushers ...

Took a little look at Wat Phanan Choeng, Ayutthaya ( where Chao Phraya and Pasak meet ) as it is my flooding gauge.

The level is definitely high, can see the marks on the floating pontoons ( where tourists disembark from the Bangkok boats and fish are fed with fish food, bread and multicoloured corn snacks) from the rollers on the columns at each corner. The walkways to the pontoons, usually a steep decline are now almost level.

The warning signs will come when the concrete slabs, on the river path, are removed and the steel plates raised at an angle to be covered with some thick rubber sheeting held in place with sandbags.

We are a bit off this point but that can change quickly as water is released from the northern dams into the rivers.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Took a little look at Wat Phanan Choeng, Ayutthaya ( where Chao Phraya and Pasak meet ) as it is my flooding gauge.

The level is definitely high, can see the marks on the floating pontoons ( where tourists disembark from the Bangkok boats and fish are fed with fish food, bread and multicoloured corn snacks) from the rollers on the columns at each corner. The walkways to the pontoons, usually a steep decline are now almost level.

The warning signs will come when the concrete slabs, on the river path, are removed and the steel plates raised at an angle to be covered with some thick rubber sheeting held in place with sandbags.

We are a bit off this point but that can change quickly as water is released from the northern dams into the rivers.

Do keep us down river from you informed, forewarned is forearmed!

• Thumbs Up 1

Does Thailand have any live webcams showing river conditions?

Or, as an alternative, do any Thai social media accounts take time lapse videos of the tide going in and out, up and down? 

I have some mesmerizing time lapse videos of storms blowing through, taken at my Bangkok apartment and various hotel balconies around Thailand.  I'll post up YouTube links next time I'm in Thailand where YT isn't blocked.  They're in my YT account, but not public so I can't link them from here.

Edited by impulse

A little action at Pak Kret high tide.

image.png.38bf93a5bea26d50467609a7b9c20545.png

And we have some definite upness going on too.

Nothing for us to worry about yet, but a close eye is being kept.

image.jpeg.c2169baa05c3ab91dacadb704a4a092a.jpeg

image.jpeg.f0033447ee9581e81ed16c65eb9836b2.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/8/2024 at 11:59 AM, impulse said:

When are you expecting the water from the storm around Hanoi?  Or will that all go elsewhere, beside Bangkok?

I don't think you'll find all that much water that was dropped on or around Hanoi over the last few days moving to Thailand least of all Bangkok. I think the geography of Vietnam and the laws of physics would suggest the South China Sea as a more likely destination.

Edited by mfd101
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I don't think you'll find all that much water that was dropped on or around Hanoi over the last few days moving to Thailand least of all Bangkok. I think the geography of Vietnam and the laws of physics would suggest the South China Sea as a more likely destination.

Yeah, this lot just to the north of Thailand is rather more worrying.

From https://www.windy.com/-Rain-thunder-rain?rain,19.415,101.997,6

image.png.5ddb7df1f307fcfe0cbe3611e23fee0a.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

I didn't follow the progress of the storm after it made landfall.  Did it fizzle out, or did it continue west?

I think the rain that Crossy's map is showing over the Laos/Myanmar border is the remnants of the storm that hit land near Hanoi.  But I'm not even sure of the topography from there.  It could be big trouble in a week or so... 

BTW, when we operated offshore oil platforms off of Songkhla, I found Windy.com to be a better forecast than the high dollar weather service we paid for.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

The water from the dam break in Chiang Rai is heading South but it will take a while to get there. I hope it will be OK. Chiang Rai is a mess but it is draining out.

The news reports from the north are pretty horrific 😞 

At least when it gets to us it's more like a slow-motion train wreck.