Is the PVR box of Truevision now obsolete

fvw53

When True technicians came this morning to check my old tuner of the TV channels they replaced it with a much smaller tuner without a possibility to connect my PVR box.

This is for me a serious issue because I seldom look to live TV and in the past I could - with my PVR box - program the recordings a few weeks in advance.

Do other Forum members have the same issue and what can be done about this?

(I paid 4000 Baht to True for this PVR box)

4 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

When True technicians came this morning to check my old tuner of the TV channels they replaced it with a much smaller tuner without a possibility to connect my PVR box.

Are you talking about a satellite tuner ??

Here is a photo of the old tuner to select TV channels (taken from my neighbour) :  45 x 32 x 5 cm

The new one is not larger than a wallet and has no USB entries to connect the PVRTruevision.png.e28fba3bc207a64d6d1a60c9e66b4c6f.png

Looks obsolete to me, still giggling given there is a card in the slot. Most people dont even use dishes anymore, Thailand has pretty good internet coverage and most will use an android box of sorts.

Personally I'd ditch it and get a good IPTV subscription with 7 days catch up, no need to record anything.

10 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

Here is a photo of the old tuner to select TV channels (taken from my neighbour) :  45 x 32 x 5 cm

The new one is not larger than a wallet and has no USB entries to connect the PVRTruevision.png.e28fba3bc207a64d6d1a60c9e66b4c6f.png

Yes they were phased out years ago

I see this old tuner looks suspiciously like a Satellite tuner.

I would be surprised if the new box did not have a USB port I have not seen one that doesn't have USB  not that they don't exist but...

I just upgraded my True connections after moving to a new condo. All the old stuff is gone. They offer now what they call TrueID for internet (basically an internet box with a few basic Thai language "live TV" channels and some random Thai movies). You can upgrade and pay for more Thai channels if you want. 

But if you want the old TrueVisions "Gold Package" or "Platinum Package", those are gone. You must download an App called "NOW" on your Smart TV, they pay the mega-premium for something inferior to what was available before.  Immediately I noticed language settings were not remembered...everytime you change the channel, you must set the language to English again. And also, many of the English movie channels do not support Thai language subtitles anymore. Try sitting with your Thai loved one watching a movie in English and she cannot read the subtitles anymore.  

3 hours ago, johng said:

I see this old tuner looks suspiciously like a Satellite tuner.

I would be surprised if the new box did not have a USB port I have not seen one that doesn't have USB  not that they don't exist but...

I am only interested in the ability to program the recording of several TV broadcasts which I can watch later at my convenience.

15 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

But if you want the old TrueVisions "Gold Package" or "Platinum Package", those are gone. You must download an App called "NOW" on your Smart TV, they pay the mega-premium for something inferior to what was available before.  

The "Gold", Platinum and other packages are still available for those who can watch through True´s cable service. They also have that "Inno Hybrid+" box which is a 2in1 in that it combines a cable receiver and the TrueID box. Still a pi$$ poor box performance wise. 🙂 

21 hours ago, DUS said:

The "Gold", Platinum and other packages are still available for those who can watch through True´s cable service. They also have that "Inno Hybrid+" box which is a 2in1 in that it combines a cable receiver and the TrueID box. Still a pi$$ poor box performance wise. 🙂 

Thanks. I just moved and True wouldn't offer me the "Gold" or "Platinum". Although my old room still has it. . For new installation, I was only offered the TrueID with NOW app packages. This is downtown Bangkok.

On 9/5/2024 at 11:49 PM, fvw53 said:

I am only interested in the ability to program the recording of several TV broadcasts which I can watch later at my convenience.

What channel would they be on? .. tbh, the whole system is redundant, tv shows used to air on certain days on a weekly basis, nowadays they are all released to the cloud on the same day (mostly) if those channels are free then they you can just watch them in your web browser, if you want to keep

a copy in your computer hdd, I can tell you how. 

3 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

Thanks. I just moved and True wouldn't offer me the "Gold" or "Platinum". Although my old room still has it. . For new installation, I was only offered the TrueID with NOW app packages. This is downtown Bangkok.

I only added the Platinum package (cable TV)  to my account last week. So I would have thought it was still available. Mind you,  I assume True are actively trying to push everyone to their streaming service TrueID/TrueNow. If you have cable TV at your (new) home and you want to get Gold/Plat or whatever package, I would get in touch with them again. I used their True iService App to contact their support team and they added the package on the spot. Only issue is, it sometimes takes ages to get hold of one of their few English speaking reps. 🙂

Edited by DUS
  • Agree 1

I pay a monthly subscription and I could receive many Thai TV channels, Sports channels, international TV news channels

Herewith I send the TV Guide provided by Truevisions on my old tuner which allowed me to record in advance all kind of programs from various channels : now with the new and small tuner I can only look to live programs 

( I live in an apartment building where I can connect to Truevisions only using a small satellite dish)

Truevision TV guide.jpg

I think that HD PVR service was an option with the old satellite/coax Truevison service. I think they charged extra for it, (99 baht/month promo, from 399 baht/month.

You should contact True to see if your new box can be configured in a PVR mode?

The new streaming options under the TrueVisions NOW banner offer a "catch-up" option but I confess to not really understanding it as I just subscribed to TrueVisions Now Prime (449 baht/month) a few days ago. You need internet and be able to run the app, or purchase the TrueID streaming box.

https://help.trueid.net/th-th/detail/nP3bbXqR2l48

Home page
TrueID application
Application usage
How to watch reruns (Catch-up) on the TrueID application
How to watch reruns (Catch-up) on the TrueID application

There are 2 types of replay viewing:
1. Can view back for 7 days.

2. Can watch back for 2 hours.

How to watch TV reruns (Catch Up) on TrueID TV Box
1. While watching a TV channel, press the Guide button. You will see the program schedule screen and a blue bar will appear on the channel you are currently watching.

2. Press the right direction button so that the blue bar moves to the program you are currently watching

. 3. Then press the left direction button to scroll back to the program you want to watch later. Notice that the program can be watched later. There will be a symbol as shown in the image below: you can watch 7 days or 2 hours, depending on the type of viewing the program has. Then press the ' OK ' button

. 4. You will be able to watch the selected program later.

** Replay programs can only be viewed on some channels. If a channel can be viewed retrospectively, there will be a symbol that says you can watch retrospectively for 7 days or watch retrospectively for 2 hours, depending on whether you can watch retrospectively in one type or both.

null

And you can watch it later in the TrueID application as well. There is a way to see which programs can be watched later or not.

1. While watching a channel, press the Program List button . The channel list will be displayed at the top.

2. Then select the channel and date you want to watch the replay. If the program can be watched replayably, you will see a blue circle symbol behind the program name.

null

** In case customers encounter problems during the rerun (Catch-up) on the application, we may temporarily close for maintenance to increase service efficiency. Customers will be able to watch only on the TrueID TV box. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Catch-up icon is the clock/arrow graphic. Available by channel and from the schedule.

e412140de6981c1792b1b7db19f188ae.jpg

5 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

The new streaming options under the TrueVisions NOW banner offer a "catch-up" option

OK, this is pretty interesting, and thanks to fvw53 for posting about this...

I can watch a two-hour replay of the NFL kick-off game (KC-BAL) with Catch-up.

Very handy.

tvcatchup.jpg