Public health minister rejects 30-baht scheme co-payment review

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The public health minister expressed confidence that the government could address the network’s financial concerns, potentially by utilising the central budget, reported Bangkok Post.

This was brought in a long time ago and was central to Thaksin's populist policies. Not to address the financial situation and pressures of this policy now, is in line with the PTP populist politics. As for taking money out of the central budget ("To mitigate the financial losses incurred from providing treatments, the National Health Security Office (NHSO) has requested an additional 7.1 billion baht (US$210 million).") I guess this is double speak for BORROW.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Fat cats trying to wrong, first hand I can say this is a life line in the poor areas 

A life line for the poor but every "free health care scheme" has to be paid for by someone.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Launched in 2002, it originally required a 30-baht co-payment per visit. However, this requirement was removed a few years later, allowing cardholders to access medical treatment free of charge.

If treatment is supposed to be free now, then some hospitals are either unaware or are ignoring the change. My wife just finished a 4-shot course of rabies vaccine and paid 30 baht for each visit.

2 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Yes, it's called tax!!!

My missus in her original ignorance said "you're lucky, in the UK you have free health care"

and when you retire you get a pension.

I said no, I pay every month, it's called the NHS tax.

And every month I pay for my pension.

When she lived there with me for 5 years she found out all about free.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, hughrection said:

The number of elderly people in my local Thai hospital is massive and many are there for simple ailments that a few baht in a chemist would solve. They actually get upset if a doctor tells them that they have the cold & should stay at home, have hot drinks and stay warm.

If the doctor doesn't prescribe them something, they feel slighted and let him/her know. Many docs just prescribe them vitamin A to get them on their way.

Maybe the small payment of the 30 baht might make them think before they make an unnecessary trip.

If something is totally free, people will abuse it.

Problem is there is no free doctors they are mostly all private, which will cost the poor alot more, easier to go to the hospital and pay 30 baht than 200+ for a docs that will also try to upsell you