Judge sets "mini, mini trial" in Trump's Jan. 6 case right before the November election

Screenshot_2.jpg.09f1092946a28e3b1d1b3a62f6003ff8.jpg

Judge Tanya S. Chutkan told the former president's lawyers that she is "not concerned with the electoral schedule"

September 6, 2024

It’s not fair, legal counsel for Donald Trump told a federal judge on Thursday. The former president’s election interference case — which could have gone to trial this spring had it not been for litigation over the Republican candidate’s claim he was completely immune from prosecution — is starting back up again just as early voting is about to begin. While ballots are being cast, prosecutors could air new, potentially damning evidence about the defendant's efforts to remain in power.

So what, U.S. District Judge Tanya S. Chutkan responded. Her only concern, she said, is the crimes that special counsel Jack Smith, armed with a fresh grand jury indictment, has accused the 78-year-old defendant of committing: defrauding the United States and seeking to throw out the votes of millions of Americans after decisively losing to President Joe Biden in 2020.

Chutkan issued an order following Thursday’s hearing that sets the stage for potentially damning evidence to be publicly shared just as the election heats up. That order sets Sept. 26 as the deadline for prosecutors to file an “opening brief” on Trump’s immunity claims, which Politico reported could be “jammed with new and explosive evidence related to Trump’s effort to subvert the 2020 election” (prosecutors said they would include “substantial exhibits” in their filing). A defense response is due by Oct. 17 and prosecutors’ response to that is due Oct. 29.

(more)

https://www.salon.com/2024/09/06/sets-stage-for-mini-mini-trial-in-january-6-case-right-before-the-november/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Soooooo, the prosecution can introduce almost anything at all, just before people go to the polls, even if it gets thrown out the day after the election.

If that's not judicial political interference in the trial of a POTUS candidate I'll eat my proverbial hat.

and some people try to say the US judicial system has not been weaponised against Trump :whistling:

Kudos to you for taking a rational position based on critical thinking.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I would say delaying a normal timeline for a criminal trial because of an election amounts to election interference.

Which is exactly what I would expect you to say.

However, reverse the situation and it is Harris being on trial just before the election and I am certain that your opinion would be 180 degrees different.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Which is exactly what I would expect you to say.

However, reverse the situation and it is Harris being on trial just before the election and I am certain that your opinion would be 180 degrees different.

Whataboutary.

• Haha 1