Drug-Crazed Man Dies After Being Beaten by Mob Following Tractor Theft in Bangkok

Georgealbert

16 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

Local justice.  This fellow was likely a thief for a while and the locals had enough.

Sometimes the expense of courts, jail time and police involvment can be

saved I guess.  I do not have much sympathy for any thief. I had toys stolen

when i was young, plus a few other items after i was an adult. Not every Thai person 

is rich like most expats and people who can afford to travel the world are.

I met many nice people who do not have a lot of possessions, and i have met

many not nice rich people as well.

You have no idea  whether or not the deceased was a local thief. Nor do you have knowledge of the man's life. You just assume and project. 

• Agree 1

On 9/8/2024 at 9:35 AM, Georgealbert said:

IMG_5296.jpeg

Picture courtesy of Thai Rath.

In the early hours of September 7th, chaos unfolded in the heart of Bangkok when a man in his 40s to 50s, allegedly high on drugs, stole a tractor (locally known as an “e-taek”) and led a wild pursuit through the city. The incident, which began near the Makkasan railway site, ended tragically after the suspect was apprehended and beaten by an angry mob.

The drama started around 00:40, when Pol. L/Cpl. Prommin Ritchaisong, a patrol officer from Pathumwan Police Station, was off duty and heading back to his residence in Makkasan. As he passed the Siam Hotel on Phetchaburi Road, he encountered a group of local residents chasing an erratically driving tractor. The residents informed him that the suspect had stolen the vehicle from a construction site and was driving dangerously under the influence of drugs.

Without hesitation, Prommin joined the pursuit on his motorcycle, attempting to signal the man to stop. Despite his warnings, the suspect sped up, weaving dangerously across the road. The pursuit intensified as they neared the Saen Saeb canal bridge, where Prommin, seeing an opportunity, fired two shots at the tractor's rear tire, causing it to lose control.

Even with a blown tire, the suspect continued driving recklessly, standing and dancing erratically on the vehicle as he drove. A crowd of more than 10 locals, both in cars and on motorcycles, followed closely behind.

The chase continued to Khlong Tan intersection, where the tractor lost further control, veering onto the median near the Airport Rail Link station on Ramkhamhaeng Road. Despite the vehicle's damage, the man attempted to flee on foot, running in the opposite direction of traffic. He was soon caught by a furious group of locals, who surrounded him and severely beat him.

Pol. L/Cpl. Prommin arrived moments later, handcuffing the unconscious man and calling for medical assistance. The suspect was rushed to Panya Hospital, but doctors later pronounced him dead at 01:35 due to severe injuries from the mob beating. A search of the tractor revealed nine methamphetamine pills and a small amount of crystal meth, but no identification documents were found.

Authorities have yet to identify the deceased, as no family members have come forward, and no one has claimed ownership of the stolen tractor. Lt. Damrongsak Jaisawang, the deputy investigation officer from Hua Mak Police Station, confirmed that the body has been sent to the Police General Hospital for a detailed autopsy.

The incident has raised concerns over mob justice, with the police now focusing on identifying the individuals involved in the beating. CCTV footage will be reviewed to track down the participants.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-08

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

Lucky they found tablets  or weed would have copped the blame from the clowns.