Thailand-China high-speed rail project faces delays

webfact

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

It is sad when the best that the government's PR people can come up with is -

Whoopity woo.

Soon he'll have to report every month on the delays.... that'll be embarrassing.

3 hours ago, wozzlegummich said:

I just turned 65. What chance I'll be riding this from Korat to Bang Sue by the time I'm 70?

Bugger-all. 

48 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand desperately needs high speed transit and alternatives to the ridiculously choked highways. They also need an alternative for the transport of cargo, which they have been ignoring for 70 plus years now.

I think taking China up on their offer of financing the entire project would be a great idea. Build multiple lines all over the country, super high tech, super high speed, let China pay for it, and let China build it, if necessary, and then the construction will be quick. None of the incredible nonsense like Rama 2 which is at least 15 years behind schedule.

The billions in debt is not an issue, as nearly all countries on the Belt and Road initiative are defaulting on their loans.

So it just helps to make China broke, which is a great thing. 

Fuxing-CR400AF.jpg

Great idea, unfortunately no graft for those that matter. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand desperately needs high speed transit and alternatives to the ridiculously choked highways. They also need an alternative for the transport of cargo, which they have been ignoring for 70 plus years now.

I think taking China up on their offer of financing the entire project would be a great idea. Build multiple lines all over the country, super high tech, super high speed, let China pay for it, and let China build it, if necessary, and then the construction will be quick. None of the incredible nonsense like Rama 2 which is at least 15 years behind schedule.

The billions in debt is not an issue, as nearly all countries on the Belt and Road initiative are defaulting on their loans.

So it just helps to make China broke, which is a great thing. 

Fuxing-CR400AF.jpg

Your idea is very flawed . You are letting Thailand MAINTAIN it!

13 hours ago, webfact said:

The project, which spans 250.77 km from Bangkok to Nakhon Ratchasima and involves an investment of 179.4 billion baht,

That's about the same cost as the entire Boten-Vientienne line, nearly double the distance, with much of the line via bridge or tunnel, completed within five years.

Laotians must be some backwards people not to have discovered the power of the brown envelope yet.

I believe the Chinese are looking for concessions along the train routes.  Land near the railroad tracks would have Chinese owned hotels, restaurants, and more.  We do not know all the details of these contracts.

This is not news.  We've had this same story periodically for years.  News is reporting something new; hence, the word 'news'.   Something new would be reporting that the high speed rail project is on schedule or, dare I say it, ahead of schedule.  Odds of those two news stories are slim and none.