Terbinafine or Itraconazole

dddave

It doesn't answer your question but if your issue is toenail fungus, you might like to try tea tree oil. You apply it a couple of times daily for several weeks. Combine that with herbal antifungals (Horopito is the very best, if you can find it) and this is a natural way yo cure toenail fungus that really works. Of course, you should try and identify the root cause of toenail fungus. Often it is due to high or uncontrolled blood sugar - so diet is something to consider too.

• Thanks 1

After years of a tablespoon of vinegar in my shoes weekly and daily swabs of tea tree oil, I finally went to the doc in cnx.    She said the topical treatments just slow it down a bit and do not stop it.   So she put me on three months of the Itracon, orally.    She explained the fungus is internal and topical treatments don’t eradicate the internal root of the problem.

other than the biweekly liver tests and a moderate reduction in predinner cordials, it was a big deal and the toenails are back to the normal state.

• Like 1

The Itraconazole worked beautifully for me. No hassle with topical treatments on a daily basis. Just pop a capsule and give it a few weeks. After 10 years the fungal infection has never returned, and my toenails are like new. Just make sure there is no interaction with your other meds. Itraconazole is contraindicated with a lot of meds. 

Edited by fittobethaied
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 1:27 PM, Sheryl said:

Terbinafine is available only in topical form.

Oral itraconaxole is available but better taken under medical supervision. Liver function needs to be monitored.

Before resorting to oral antifungals for nail fungus it is better to try topical prolonged  treatment which to be effective is best done after mechanical filing down of the nail bed (podiatrist can do this).

Important also to avoid closed toe shoes and socks ...let the toes breathe. 

Daily vinegar soaks also helpful.

Apple Cider Vinegar  Soaks, plus Tea Tree Oil  and most important..    stop eating all forms of sugar

On 9/10/2024 at 1:27 PM, Sheryl said:

Terbinafine is available only in topical form.

Oral itraconaxole is available but better taken under medical supervision. Liver function needs to be monitored.

Before resorting to oral antifungals for nail fungus it is better to try topical prolonged  treatment which to be effective is best done after mechanical filing down of the nail bed (podiatrist can do this).

Important also to avoid closed toe shoes and socks ...let the toes breathe. 

Daily vinegar soaks also helpful.

Oral Terbinafine (Lamisil) is also available here but not in most pharmacies. Chula Bhesaj Pharmacy near Silom and Southeast Pharmacy on Sukhumvit normally stock it. 

You are right that it's good to try topical treatments first. I used some Loceryl laquer successfully to get rid of toenail fungus on the little toe in a few months. I got that also from Chula Bhesaj pharmacy. 

• Thanks 1