Grandma's roof is leaking - Would this work .

tomgreen

The wife’s widowed mother’s old house has a tiled roof that is leaking water , which is dripping down onto the lounge ceiling . Ive been up in the roof space and can see many places where the roof tiles are cracked or theres a space between the tiles where the day light shows through.

I think applying some sort of roof sealer to the whole exterior area may be difficult and not a long term answer .

I think the overall cost to have the whole house roof retiled with new tiles , would be beyond our financial means. 

I was wondering if any one had done the same as shown in the attached video, or knows more about that idea of laying Upvc type plastic roof sheets on top of existing roof tiles .

Tom

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tomgreen said:

The wife’s widowed mother’s old house has a tiled roof that is leaking water , which is dripping down onto the lounge ceiling . Ive been up in the roof space and can see many places where the roof tiles are cracked or theres a space between the tiles where the day light shows through.

I think applying some sort of roof sealer to the whole exterior area may be difficult and not a long term answer .

I think the overall cost to have the whole house roof retiled with new tiles , would be beyond our financial means. 

I was wondering if any one had done the same as shown in the attached video, or knows more about that idea of laying Upvc type plastic roof sheets on top of existing roof tiles .

Tom

Those are more likely to be steel panels. The problem will be longevity, the cheaper the materials the shorter the lifespan.

Even in Australia if you climbing into the ceiling youre likely to see daylight here and there if there is no sarking/foil.

Normally you would look for broken tiles then look at the ridge, valleys and hips, depending on age of building the seal they use could have broken down, in AU we use morta to bond down ridge caps etc, the way to go is to get a roofer in and get them to go over it, local builder would have someone.

Water leaks from a roof are often several meters or more away... 

• Agree 1

I think it would be cheaper and better to have the existing tile roof repaired if you can find tiles that match and hire a local guy to do it. Tile roofs last a long time and are easy to repair if you are young and nimble. 

I would either repair the existing, or tear-off the old and replace with new. 

Go to an SCG store and get a quote.