Do U Ever Feel Like U Arte Living In A Sauna?

Pepe'

I love Thailand. It's my favorite place to play.

But I know know I can only take it for one month or so per year. Although that month is something I look forward to all year round I'm always relieved to step off the plane in San Diego were the weather is just, well, near perfect.

Even back where I was raised all I hear about is everyone complaining about the heat and wicked humidity in Jersey.

Most days in BKK I find I'd take my shower in my nice AC room. Walk out into the hall, the air is already changing. Get down to the lobby it's a little hotter and "muggier."

By the time I get into the cab outside my clean white tennis shirt is soaked and my kakies feel like duct tape on my legs now I get to freeze all the moisture in a taxi refrigerator.

How do you deal with it everyday?

I perspire for England, am lobbying to make it an Olympic sport.

Regards & Going for Gold

As us Aussies are better than the Brits in (almost) all sports, i would say i would win gold in every sweating event. You'll settle for silver me ol limey mate. :o

But I know know I can only take it for one month or so per year. Although that month is something I look forward to all year round I'm always relieved to step off the plane in San Diego were the weather is just, well, near perfect.

Even back where I was raised all I hear about is everyone complaining about the heat and wicked humidity in Jersey.

Most days in BKK I find I'd take my shower in my nice AC room. Walk out into the hall, the air is already changing. Get down to the lobby it's a little hotter and "muggier."

By the time I get into the cab outside my clean white tennis shirt is soaked and my kakies feel like duct tape on my legs now I get to freeze all the moisture in a taxi refrigerator.

:o Clean white tennis shirt and kakies....do you also like to steal towels in the changing rooms?

Edited by kratindaeng

When people ask my wife what is the best time of year to visit Bangkok or Phuket, she always replies they have their choice of three seasons-Hot, Hotter or Hottest ! :o

We also love spending a lot of time in Thailand but must admit it is always a welcome relief from the heat and humidity when we get back to Hawaii or Santa Barbara.

live and work here for 10+ years....it becomes normal

That isn't going to be a problem when I relocate for good. I've lived in Corpus Christi Texas since 93 and you don't find much worse for combining heat and humidity. I'm sure not crazy about it but then I don't have living in San Diego as a point of reference. :o It also helps somewhat that I've built my house in the Khao Yai area.

What heat? I don't notice it, I don't even sweat like you puny mortals.

Damian

i dont think that quite makes sense, for i belive its the case that the 'punier'/thinner you are the less you sweat. Bigger / fatter people sweat more. :o

Stay in Thailand for a long time, eat simple Thai food/Thai way, loose unnecessary weight and use menthol powder for prickly heat, that way I also get less mozzie bites'cause I sweat less which means less odour :o

I perspire for England, am lobbying to make it an Olympic sport.

Regards & Going for Gold

---------------------------------

That's a good one. Quite ingenious as well. Like making lemonade from (lemons) sweat.

:o Clean white tennis shirt and kakies....do you also like to steal towels in the changing rooms?

-----------------

Hummmm, I don't see the connection however I do steal towels but I'm trying to quit... :D

When people ask my wife what is the best time of year to visit Bangkok or Phuket, she always replies they have their choice of three seasons-Hot, Hotter or Hottest ! :o

We also love spending a lot of time in Thailand but must admit it is always a welcome relief from the heat and humidity when we get back to Hawaii or Santa Barbara.

---------------------

Santa Barbara. So "you know the drill." Pretty much identical to San Diego...

Caught some excellent weather last year around the Holidays though, both in BKK and Pattaya.

Damian

i dont think that quite makes sense, for i belive its the case that the 'punier'/thinner you are the less you sweat. Bigger / fatter people sweat more. :o

I always sweat like buggery, even in the UK in winter, and even when I was ulra thin - I'm still fairly slim! So in Thailand it just pours out of me in rivers. Just accept it's hot and keep your water in-take up.

Damian

I always sweat like buggery, even in the UK in winter, and even when I was ulra thin - I'm still fairly slim! So in Thailand it just pours out of me in rivers. Just accept it's hot and keep your water in-take up.

----------------------------

I tend to agree with one of the other posters that overweight people do sweat more especially with heat.

However I have observed this with patients that some times very fit or thin people as well sweat profusely.

Chinese medicine says that excess sweat indicates an imbalance in the heart meridian. Whe was your last cardio work up?

Try gradually reducing the A/C dependancy and getting used to the room temp.

A fan is always good to create some breeze and cool you down.

You cannot adopt to the changes if you are living in an A/C enviroment as it will only make the heat even more uncomfortable when you do venture out.

Me, i tend to put it on when i come in for awhile then switch it off and use the fan, open the windows and get a bit of air / breeze circulating.

Along with taking a shower of course :o

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags

Pepe, you are a Nam vet, so I'm surprised about your surprise concerning the heat and humidity in Thailand. How soon we forget! Actually, sweat is one of your body's defenses against overheating and is a natural way of cooling down. Hydrate liberally (without the alcohol), wear light-colored loose-fitting clothing, limit your outdoor activity in the middle of the day, and use the A/C minimally. You'll survive. Oh, and remember to go commando. :o

Edited by farang prince

I think that the answer is to slowly get yourself as fit as possible.The fitter you are the less the heat and the humidity will wear you down. I'm not saying that you won't sweat - as previous poster said 'It's the bodies defense against overheating' . Take regular excercise like swimming and if you play golf don't use a buggy - WALK.

Can't beleive how lazy some of our neighbours are - they will take the car to visit other neighbours only 400 metres away - don't do the car engine any good anyway.

Yes, it's hot and sweaty, but a blxxdy sight better than the cold and damp in the UK.

I think that the answer is to slowly get yourself as fit as possible.The fitter you are the less the heat and the humidity will wear you down. I'm not saying that you won't sweat - as previous poster said 'It's the bodies defense against overheating' . Take regular excercise like swimming and if you play golf don't use a buggy - WALK.

Can't beleive how lazy some of our neighbours are - they will take the car to visit other neighbours only 400 metres away - don't do the car engine any good anyway.

Yes, it's hot and sweaty, but a blxxdy sight better than the cold and damp in the UK.

YES.....it is like a hot sauna.......been getting worse each year and will continue to get worse due to global warming, population growth, and an addition to the internal combustion engine. The big cities are concrete and steel heat sinks with the added charm of poisonous chemicals floating in the air. Welcome to Paradise!

:o

Dont know about others, try avoiding bread, sugar, rice, sweets, cakes etc, when I eat carbs the boiler inside appears to heat up!! I can eat pork-on-a-stick and a half litre of Aura and all is ok. Conversely I could have a something-plate-full-of-rice and a Coke and the result is very different, my body temperature raises enought to start sweating within 3 or 4 minutes.. Dont know if I'm really alien like Thai immigration have been telling me all these years, but i guess it's possible!

Edited by jayjayjayjay

There are negatives about almost anywhere, so pay your money and take your choice.

My mother couldn't grow cucumbers in La Jolla due to the daily coastal fog, and many think La Jolla is "the" place to live in San Diego County!! And pay bundles for any place to live in San Diego County.

I lived in the Palm Springs Area for years and some of the wealthiest people go there for the "season", but don't try the summer months, especially with the reverse flow from Baja, humidity plus 120F temps.

I live in Chiang Mai and during the "season", it couldn't be nicer. Very comparable to Palm Springs in "season". No need to use aircon, cool nights and warm days with clear skies. Summers are hot and humid except when it is raining, which it does a lot. My electric bill is below 2kBaht a month in "season" and over 6K in the hot months. Definitely a negative about living here but then again, the advantages outweigh the negatives in my mind. I make my long visits to Sydney to see my daughter during her "winters" which are our summers, similar to Canadian "snow birds".

I live mostly in Hong Kong now, but will be spending more time in Bangkok next year. In HK, the heat is on average one or two degrees C less than Bangkok on the hottest days, tho yesterday was 35 C in HK, so far hottest day of year. HK humidity is 5 - 10 % higher than BKK. One way some friends and I combat HK heat and humidity is to play tennis in mid-day for two hours or so under sun, sweat it all out, shower then have a drink (I drink hot tea) in cool A/C snack bar. Nothing beats the heat like that.

Another idea, contrary to what many people believe, is that I wear light or white coloured polo shirts of cotton, thicker and heavier than normal polo shirts, so that the shirt absorbs the sweat off your body. Or try some of the new fabrics that wicks the sweat off your body, through and out the shirt. If sweat, as another poster has said, is your body's defense against overheating, then what you want to do is get the sweat off your body, so that you can sweat more and cool your body down more.

If you do use A/C in your home, make sure that it does a good job of removing humidity in air. You can help the A/C unit by having a separate dehumidier working to remove humidity. You want cool dry air with less humidity.

Another mental thing I learned in Japan years ago: when taking a bath or shower when the weather's hot and humid, use water as hot as you can bear, like in a Japanese hot springs (onsen). When you're done, it feels great and cooling and even better, you can calm and cool your mind. I guess it's all mental.

Get rid of the heavy cotton clothing. Most polo shirts I find are to heavy & "clingy" to be comfortable. Try supplex nylon pants & shirts that are very breathable, light & do not absorb the moisture & hold it against your skin like a wet towell. The nylon clothes are hard to find in Thailand, surprisingly. There are a couple of specialty camping gear shops in BKK that sell them. Otherwise, but them from overseas. I like the warm weather, but I do spend a fair amount of time in air/con.

I often get a bit self-conscious about the way sweat just shows up like a neon sign through a lot of my shirts (particularly Egyptian cotton). So, I started wearing undershirts (like, 42 baht at Carrefour) when I'm going to certain important functions (ie. job interviews, etc). Now, this doesn't make me sweat less. It probably makes me sweat more, but at least it doesn't show through anymore.

Sometimes, the amount I can sweat actually makes me disgusted.

BFD!

No a/c in the house and rely on fans. lived and worked in the middle east and asia for the last 20 odd years and it doesn't seem to bother me nowadays. when I was working it was out on the park 12 hours a day so I guess the old bods use to it.

At the other extreme I love mountaineering and ice climbing and can sweat buckets at that

I get hot!

I live in Surin in a village and it's often 35 degrees.

I'm determined not to use the aircon except occasionally as that's a recipe for isolation.

This morning I worked in the garden and worked up a bit of a sweat, and upstairs under the roof where I'm writing this post it's even hotter.

For exercise, I have a bicycle but I've just read a Thaivisa thread about a guy who had his foot bitten off by a dog when out cycling. That's got me a bit worried as I've only got two feet.

Anyway, there's no real answer except go back to San Diego. Or England of course!

Enjoy!

Andrew