GOP Urges Trump to Accept Second Debate with Harris

Social Media

image.png

Allies of former President Donald Trump are encouraging him to participate in a second debate with Vice President Kamala Harris after her strong performance on Tuesday night, effectively placing the decision in Trump's hands. Harris’s team quickly called for another debate, while Trump has so far refused to commit. Some Senate Republicans believe a second debate could be advantageous for Trump. “I think it would be an opportunity,” said Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.), a key supporter. “If I was in Trump’s position, I would.”

Since Harris joined the Democratic ticket, Trump and the GOP have struggled to define her, with many Republicans feeling that Trump missed a crucial opportunity on Tuesday. Rather than focusing on policy differences, Trump was criticized for being drawn into unnecessary tangents, including a widely criticized reference to an online conspiracy theory about Haitian immigrants in Ohio. “I believe we missed a lot of opportunities last night,” said Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.), who agreed that a second debate could be beneficial. “It makes a lot more sense to, instead of talking about cats and dogs, talk about 1.5 million got-aways,” he added.

However, not all Republicans are on board with the idea of another debate. “I wouldn’t ever debate again in a liberal setting. I don’t think it should be at CNN, I don’t think it needs to be at ABC. He’s done two of those,” said Sen. Markwayne Mullin (R-Okla.), suggesting that Fox News or another conservative outlet should host the next meeting. Fox News has already proposed three dates in October for a debate, which would likely be moderated by anchors Bret Baier and Martha McCallum.

Sen. Eric Schmitt (R-Mo.), a top Trump supporter, offered a cautious take. “That’s up to him. That’s up to them to decide. Although, usually if you’re winning, you don’t want another debate, so it’s curious that the Harris people want one.” He suggested that the Harris campaign might be concerned about the race's trajectory, particularly in light of recent polling.

Harris’s campaign argued that the American people deserve a second opportunity to see the candidates before November. Trump responded late Tuesday by claiming Harris wants another debate “because she lost tonight.” On Wednesday morning, he expressed uncertainty about participating in another debate, saying on Fox News, “I don’t know that I want to do another debate.”

Despite multiple surveys indicating that Harris was widely viewed as the winner of Tuesday’s debate, questions remain about whether her performance will translate into increased voter support. Many Democrats, who were anxious before the debate, were buoyed by the outcome and are eager for a repeat performance. “I’d certainly enjoy watching a repeat,” said Sen. Peter Welch (D-Vt.). “It was a wonder to behold. She was so confident and down to earth and in command.”

Democrats argue that Harris could benefit from another debate, given that she is still not fully known to some voters, especially compared to Trump, who has had high name recognition for years. A recent New York Times poll found that 28 percent of likely voters felt they needed to know more about Harris, while only 9 percent said the same about Trump.

Democrats are also aware that voters have a more favorable view of Trump’s presidency in hindsight, and they see another debate as an opportunity to challenge that perception. “She needs to prosecute the case that he was a bad president and that he’s only gotten worse since then,” said a Democratic operative.

While some acknowledge that Harris’s performance set high expectations for a future debate, top Democrats believe the potential benefits outweigh the risks. “I like it when my team wins 10-0, but I also like it when my team wins 8-2,” said Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), expressing confidence in Harris’s ability to perform well again.

Rep. Al Green (D-Texas) noted Harris’s busy schedule but encouraged her to debate again if she feels capable of balancing it with her other commitments. “If she believes she can have another one and still do all of these other things that she has to do around the whole country, then I would say, you know, do it.”

Meanwhile, the debate about the debate continues, with Trump criticizing ABC and other networks, raising questions about whether he will participate. Some Republicans, like former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, warned that Harris could gain from another debate, while others, including Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah), believe Trump could benefit if he manages to stay on message and counter Harris effectively. Former Rep. Carlos Curbelo (R-Fla.) expressed skepticism about Trump’s ability to improve in a second debate, noting that discipline and focus would be key to his success.

Credit: The Hill 2024-09-13

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Trump: No more debates with Kamala Harris
By Reuters
September 13, 20243:10 AM GMT+7Updated an hour ago

Sept 12 (Reuters) - Republican nominee Donald Trump said on Thursday he would not participate in another presidential debate against Kamala Harris ahead of the Nov. 5 election, after several polls showed his Democratic rival won their debate earlier this week.

"THERE WILL BE NO THIRD DEBATE!" the former president wrote on social media site Truth Social. Trump had participated in a debate against President Joe Biden in June before his debate against Harris on Tuesday.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-says-he-will-not-participate-another-debate-with-kamala-harris-2024-09-12/

First sensible thing he's done since he agreed to the first debate with her.

• Agree 2

The people spending millions on Trump’s campaign will decide if Trump is going to debate Harris again and they will do so on the basis of where the polls go.

If they indicate Trump is heading for certain defeat then he will be told to debate Harris again, he’ll have no other option.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, StandardIssue said:

Yea and he still insists he won in 2020 too. Trump will say anything. Why did he agree on this one on ABC in the first place? Are him and his people so inept that they couldn't identify it was not going to be impartial? BS!! Do we want a president who can't figure this kind of thing out?

As soon as he loses then he says it was not impartial. Why didn't he know beforehand it wasn't going to be impartial before the debate? LOL! This guy is full of it.

At least you're admitting it was not impartial.

I was expecting more gaslighting. Are you sure you're a Democrat? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

Just now, JonnyF said:

At least you're admitting it was not impartial.

I was expecting more gaslighting. Are you sure you're a Democrat? 

Another example of goalpost moving.  Yesterday, "it was impartial".  Today, "it wasn't impartial, but that was Trump's own fault".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

No need. It was impartial. For normal candidates answering questions normally. Not bringing up extreme issues and comments that begged to be fact checked. If he stuck to the odd exaggeration or an area that was difficult to fact check on the spot he would have been left unscathed by the moderators. But he is lazy, overconfident, and was held to account. 

I'll let Victor Davis Hanson describe the debacle...

The Sept. 10th presidential debate went down as expected. Summed up, it was Sappy and the Blob pile on Grouchy.

The swarmy and evasive Vice President Kamala Harris preened, posed and proffered empty platitudes.

The ABC moderators proved they were predictably and shamelessly biased.

And an irate former President Donald Trump confirmed that he was too touchy and easily triggered.

https://dailycaller.com/2024/09/12/victor-davis-hanson-forgettable-warped-debate-donald-trump-kamala-harris-abc/

• Haha 2