PM Paetongtarn's Policy Statement critisised as Echo of Thaksin’s Vision

webfact

9 hours ago, proton said:

Offering 10k baht to voters was not a bribe then? They are not only guilty of that but of backstabbing the voters by colluding with the parties they fought against for 2 decades. Hypocritical opportunists. FFP were the party with the most votes so Pita should be the PM not daddy's little girl.

If you read the party manifestoes of almost every major party in the election, they all offer "bribes". In fact, PPRP's were extremely attractive. 30,000 to 7.5 million farmers, plus 2k per Rai, old age pension to all 60 yo and above from between 3k and 5k pm, 10k for pregnant women, 3k pm for all kids up to 6.

You can read all about it here. Then tell me PT are the only villains.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/election-promises-thailands-major-parties-2023-05-10/&ved=2ahUKEwjz7YL1w8CIAxUfdfUHHWX8J-44ChAWegQICxAB&usg=AOvVaw2RglclXqtgkLSXqGQ8mdzN

8 hours ago, bradiston said:

If you read the party manifestoes of almost every major party in the election, they all offer "bribes". In fact, PPRP's were extremely attractive. 30,000 to 7.5 million farmers, plus 2k per Rai, old age pension to all 60 yo and above from between 3k and 5k pm, 10k for pregnant women, 3k pm for all kids up to 6.

You can read all about it here. Then tell me PT are the only villains.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/election-promises-thailands-major-parties-2023-05-10/&ved=2ahUKEwjz7YL1w8CIAxUfdfUHHWX8J-44ChAWegQICxAB&usg=AOvVaw2RglclXqtgkLSXqGQ8mdzN

Thaksin haters have selective memory

Their hatred for anything Thaksin related cloud their minds and they can’t think logically 

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Hunz Kittisak said:

Thaksin haters have selective memory

Their hatred for anything Thaksin related cloud their minds and they can’t think logically 

Thaksin sycophants have a selective memory.

Their love for anything Thaksin related clouds their minds and they can't think logically.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Thaksin sycophants have a selective memory.

Their love for anything Thaksin related clouds their minds and they can't think logically.

I'm not pro or anti Taksin. He's a strong presence in Thai politics, and obviously has a lot of clout within PT, and influence on his daughter. People condemn and deride this without mercy, but in itself I don't see a problem. She is young and inexperienced. Just like Pita was. And look what happened to him. He got mangled. Not much difference in age, but look at where they are now. He's gone for 10 years. You might say, what an incredible waste. We'll never know. If she survives everything they throw at her she'll come out all the stronger.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I'm not pro or anti Taksin. He's a strong presence in Thai politics, and obviously has a lot of clout within PT, and influence on his daughter. People condemn and deride this without mercy, but in itself I don't see a problem. She is young and inexperienced. Just like Pita was. And look what happened to him. He got mangled. Not much difference in age, but look at where they are now. He's gone for 10 years. You might say, what an incredible waste. We'll never know. If she survives everything they throw at her she'll come out all the stronger.

The only serious reservation have.........and I can understand why the Thaksin's don't want to raise it......not one word on corruption, nepotism, extortion (that I am aware of at least)......it is destroying Thailand......

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

The only serious reservation have.........and I can understand why the Thaksin's don't want to raise it......not one word on corruption, nepotism, extortion (that I am aware of at least)......it is destroying Thailand......

Saying it is one thing, tackling it is another. It's a way of life across South East Asia. It's not just here. I'm sure many Thais take a different view to a farang. I've had Thai friends say they wouldn't have a job without it. And believe me, it exists in the UK, where I'm from. It's not what you know, it's who you know. Ring a bell?

And then there's the excuses we give ourselves when we do take a short cut, eg at immigration. Like, it's harmless. What's the problem? Everybody gets paid, happy days. Well, that's what I tell myself on my annual visit to my visa agent. If Paetongtarn were to start screaming about nepotism... Well, it would look a bit odd, right? So you could say she's compromised right from the start, and I guess I'd have to agree. But, who knows? Taksin won't be around forever.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Saying it is one thing, tackling it is another. It's a way of life across South East Asia. It's not just here. I'm sure many Thais take a different view to a farang. I've had Thai friends say they wouldn't have a job without it. And believe me, it exists in the UK, where I'm from. It's not what you know, it's who you know. Ring a bell?

And then there's the excuses we give ourselves when we do take a short cut, eg at immigration. Like, it's harmless. What's the problem? Everybody gets paid, happy days. Well, that's what I tell myself on my annual visit to my visa agent. If Paetongtarn were to start screaming about nepotism... Well, it would look a bit odd, right? So you could say she's compromised right from the start, and I guess I'd have to agree. But, who knows? Taksin won't be around forever.

Could not agree more......👍

22 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Also, what is this nonsense?

I have a nerd friend at a uni here that was going on about it awhile back.

https://prachataienglish.com/node/11097

I found my way to the minutes of the caretaker cabinet meeting in question, on August 27th. It wasn't listed as far as I could see. But I'm sure it does exist. There are very strong conservative factions in academia, just as in the judiciary and military for instance. I'm sure there'll be a massive pushback against this. Universities are usually sources of enlightened liberalism, not reactionary conservatism. But those factions do exist. I wonder who the authors were of this?

50 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I found my way to the minutes of the caretaker cabinet meeting in question, on August 27th. It wasn't listed as far as I could see. But I'm sure it does exist. There are very strong conservative factions in academia, just as in the judiciary and military for instance. I'm sure there'll be a massive pushback against this. Universities are usually sources of enlightened liberalism, not reactionary conservatism. But those factions do exist. I wonder who the authors were of this?

taken down by the looks, it can be found here via a Wayback search.

https://web.archive.org/web/20240827114236/www.thaigov.go.th/news/contents/details/87500

1 hour ago, fondue zoo said:

taken down by the looks, it can be found here via a Wayback search.

https://web.archive.org/web/20240827114236/www.thaigov.go.th/news/contents/details/87500

Found it. Managed to translate too. It doesn't mention who the authors is/are.

But it comes from the National Higher Education, Science, Research, and Innovation Policy Council. NXPO for short.  Membership includes all the senior politicians. But no introductory remarks. No idea what the beef is. Unethical research? It doesn't give any examples. Could be ring fencing certain areas of research, and setting them off limits for critical appraisal. I can think of examples, but can't mention them.

Imagine if her dad suddenly drops dead or something.  She will be completely lost.  The entire family is <deleted> without the old man.  Nobody in that family besides him is capable of running the show. 

That's the good news I guess.  Only a few more years of these <deleted> and then when the old man is finished it will be over for the shinawatras in politics. 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, YaiJung said:

Imagine if her dad suddenly drops dead or something.  She will be completely lost.  The entire family is <deleted> without the old man.  Nobody in that family besides him is capable of running the show. 

That's the good news I guess.  Only a few more years of these <deleted> and then when the old man is finished it will be over for the shinawatras in politics. 

Yep, both the daughter and the son are brainless, both cheated at their respective university exams, his sister could have a bit more sense but without Thaksin she's dead in the water. For the sake of Thailand it can't happen soon enough. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2024 at 11:05 AM, Hunz Kittisak said:

MFP had the most votes by any single party, yes. 10 more than PT. BUT they didn’t have the majority. They were first to be offered to form a coalition government but they failed. 
So technically they became the opposition.

please google the Westminster model of parliamentary elections and system if you can’t understand this 

What you say is true, but aren't convicted felons prevented from taking part in running the country? Thaksin, as far as I know is additionally prevented from engaging in politics as part of his release from 'prison'.