Fish pond filter

Wongkitlo

Am thinking  of buying a filter for my fishpond. It has a pump already and 2 outlets, 1 for wall fountain and the other an centre fountain that I have diverted to the side. The only one I can really find online is in the picture. I hoped somebody might kindly have some input. My wife thinks it is frivolous so I am on a budget.

Screenshot_20240913_102739_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240811_190720_Lazada.jpg

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit

Hi.  I think that canister filters like the one pictured are better suited for indoor use. 

You are better to buy a dedicated outside pond unit ( or make one yourself - YouTube is your friend!)image.thumb.jpeg.53dc2a7a25c872f14c4c821ab087189e.jpeg

I have a Boyu unit - okay , but not great. My pond is about 4x2x1.5m - and i need to clean filter elements monthly. I also had to fit a stronger pump, as the original did not last long. (about 6 mths). I use bore water - and it is Very hard!! Not salty , but heaps of Calcium.sg-11134201-22110-yk71ayu4pfjv31.webp.6bba49eb983f68f1001797b1b7732f80.webp

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G Rex said:

Hi.  I think that canister filters like the one pictured are better suited for indoor use. 

You are better to buy a dedicated outside pond unit ( or make one yourself - YouTube is your friend!)image.thumb.jpeg.53dc2a7a25c872f14c4c821ab087189e.jpeg

I have a Boyu unit - okay , but not great. My pond is about 4x2x1.5m - and i need to clean filter elements monthly. I also had to fit a stronger pump, as the original did not last long. (about 6 mths). I use bore water - and it is Very hard!! Not salty , but heaps of Calcium.sg-11134201-22110-yk71ayu4pfjv31.webp.6bba49eb983f68f1001797b1b7732f80.webp

What are you using for filter media? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, G Rex said:

Thanks . Will check Boyu. YouTube is good advice. 

17 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

What are you using for filter media? 

be9192731d4859c576af8fbd7fa402bd.webp.dfc13d8678430e4699d1fa54dc111684.webp

The filter media are these foam cartridges. They work quite well - and there is certainly a lot of grunge in them when I clean them.

This unit keeps my water quite clear - my only ongoing battle is keeping the green algae growth down.

I acknowledge that this filter is not great, but it does the job - and does not require a lot of maintenance. Obviously other factors like the volume of the pond and the biological load (fish number and size) needs to be taken into consideration when selecting filtration methods - but I am attempting to keep my response relatively simple. 

My 1000l tank in my house has a full biological filter system with undertank sump and automated water change every day - the water is crystal clear - but filtration like this is not necessary for a pond (IMO). 

11 minutes ago, G Rex said:

The filter media are these foam cartridges. They work quite well - and there is certainly a lot of grunge in them when I clean them.

This unit keeps my water quite clear - my only ongoing battle is keeping the green algae growth down.

I acknowledge that this filter is not great, but it does the job - and does not require a lot of maintenance. Obviously other factors like the volume of the pond and the biological load (fish number and size) needs to be taken into consideration when selecting filtration methods - but I am attempting to keep my response relatively simple. 

My 1000l tank in my house has a full biological filter system with undertank sump and automated water change every day - the water is crystal clear - but filtration like this is not necessary for a pond (IMO). 

You are probably over feeding your fish. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

You are probably over feeding your fish. 

Thank you for your concern - I assume your suggestion is because I said I was battling algae. 

However I was not 'fishing' for advice. 

With 50 years experience in freshwater and marine aquaria I have a fair idea of what I am doing.

4 minutes ago, G Rex said:

Thank you for your concern - I assume your suggestion is because I said I was battling algae. 

However I was not 'fishing' for advice. 

With 50 years experience in freshwater and marine aquaria I have a fair idea of what I am doing.

Sorry, I thought when you responded to my post that you were the OP.

• Thumbs Up 1