Do You Still Cook In Thailand

SweeTips

I always enjoyed cooking but since being spoiled in Thailand I seldom do my own meals.

Now a nice brekkie is something I cooked for myself as mine is less greasy then the bunk served here and passed off as food.

Just wondering if the other ladies here still cook their food or have they been spolied by the easy access to all the wonderful food venbdors in the streets.

PS- Where can I buy a good vibrator in Thailand ? wish I brought mine along with me :o

I'll answer the first part of the question - can't help with the second, although I seem to remember it has been discussed on the ladies' forum previously. Maybe do a search?

Yes, I cook here - most nights. I cook English/American, Italian, Indian, Tex-Mex etc. I don't cook Thai. I've tried it & it just doesn't taste right. :o Never mind, it's easy enough to get from street stalls, so I manage to get the best of both worlds. :D

breakfast (nothing fancy most of the time) lunch, and dinner. My husband says thai food, especially around the Pattaya area is not nearly as good as it was years ago. sometime they don't even use the proper ingredients.

I cook different foods from different countries that we like, but mostly thai food.

The big thing for me is that most thai food in restaurants, and especially food stalls, are loaded down with msg......and most of you aren't aware of just how much they use. My feet swell from minimal use, but if there's alot I feel ill. Some things you can ask them to cook without msg, but many things have a base that has been made ahead of time and no chance of getting it without.

We do have a couple local places we like in Ban Amphoe and Sattahip.......

Beachbunny

Do all my own cooking, always have. Only food I get from vendors is som tam...but then, I'm vegitarian, which pretty well rules out most vendor food anyhow. Thanks to a bread machine (excellent investment!) I alsio make my own bread.

Cook both thai and western dishes. The latter definitekly better tasting than can be found in most restaurants, the latter noit at all bad.

Lots of advantages to cooking for yourself: can avoid msg, can decide how much if any sugra to add, can ensure use of health oils (most vendor and even restaurant food is done with very unhealth staurated fat oil), can get exactly the hoitness and spic blend you like, and you know what's in your food.

if i cook, its always western. thai people cook thai food much better than i can. well, sometimes i do cook thai food, but basic stuff like a curry or a basic stir fry.

in regards to the second half of your question, look up a top titled 'a girls best friend' or something like that. you will find an answer to your question there.

I spent my first year here living in guesthouses and absolutely loved the market food, but only truly appreciated how much I'd missed cooking when I moved into a rented little townhouse. I bought a single-ring gas cooker, a rice cooker and a wok and made Italian, Mexican and Indian food; basically anything that I thought that I could cook better than get in the 'farang' restaurants here.

My (Thai) husband also taught me how to cook basic Thai dishes e.g. curries, phad khapow etc. When I cook Thai it's not as authentic as when he does it but it's also a lot healthier i.e. less oil, coconut milk, sugar! I call it Thai-lite!

Last year we built a bungalow out in the village and I insisted that we put in a proper kitchen including a cooker with an oven. He's now getting fat on the pizza and lasagne that I make!

We rarely eat at markets now but I do still indulge in the occasional greasy Phad Si-Ewe from Talaat Pratu Chiang Mai . Aroy maak maak!

MCL

When I first moved to Koh Phangan there were no market type stalls and the only market was the one open at 6am in Ban Tai village. No thanks :o So, I did almost all of the cooking as soon as we built our own place.

There is a khao manh gai/khao kao moo shop in town that we hit pretty regularly and the curry guy just off the main street. Otherwise, the only time we eat out is for farang food.

I cook, I can cook Thai food and prefer it hot. Can't cook everything but what I do make I do well. My mother-in-law and my husband both taught me how to cook Thai food so I guess I do things the old fashioned way. Now that we have bungalows the cook generally cooks for us. Just had pat phet moo and gaeng juud. My personal favorite.

I used to cook when I had a roommate (also bigger flat with a kitchen).. I like cooking for someone and I like the way I do my dishes--no msg, try to use organic stuff, not too oily, etc... My roommate and I would cook western, chinese, japanese, Filo dishes and others we'll just try from the cookbook.. Not sure if we'd call ourselves good cooks but always managed to have empty plates afterwards. :D For thai food, we tried but cant make it better from outside.

But now I'm back to living alone in a studio and hectic schedules at work, so no more cooking! Back to take-outs, delivery, restaurants and street food. Although sometimes my ex-roommate and other friends will invite me to cook! :o

I do quite a bit of cooking as my husband isn't very fond of Thai food. He hates all Thai curries in particular. He'll eat stir-fries, but I make those pretty neutral, usually oyster sauce seasoned, and in no specific cooking style. I usually cook American food, and about once a week my husband makes spaghetti. I use my crockpot regularly enough to justify owning it. I, too, have and use a bread machine, but it's less necessary than I first thought as bread-making here has much improved in the past few years. I do miss the amazing bread I had in Laos! I like to make macaroni and cheese, lasagne (anybody know a source for ricotta?)and roasted chicken with rosemary. Anyone know if rosemary grows well here, and if I can get a plant or seeds? I got used to using fresh in the US.

When we eat out, it's typically at a falang place. They all serve Thai food, too, so I can get my curry fixes.

Oh how I miss cooking...not that I was a particularly good cook back in oz but it was something I took for granted and now that I can't, I miss it. Most of my husband's family own restaurants within a km of our house (I'm talking like 10+ restaurants here) so mostly we get curry from them on a daily basis super cheap or free. I live with the folks and MotherInLaw cooks a curry a few times a week..I'll cook a curry about once every couple of months but my inlaws don't even touch it and I take it personally and declare that I'll never cook again in this house!! Then I'll just have to cook again but the same reaction! Most days I'll cook a stir fry or vege soup or something vegetable related..if I didn't live here I don't think the ILs would even eat vegetables. Can't wait to have our own house and have a proper kitchen again!

i make really good tom kha gai but other than that my attempts at thai cooking have been mediocre at best. i do a lot of stir fries. i also eat a lot of cheese toast.

Kitchen is husbands domain when he's home - but then he is a really good cook.

I do some cooking but don't have much time.

Otherwise we buy outside - but pretty mediocre, difficult to find really tasty food for sale.

Um I just made grilled cheese on toast for daughter's brekkie, does that count? Otherwise we don't cook, our housekeeper makes yummy SE Asian food every night. She's just done an Indian cooking course so now we have variety. I have a sandwich at work most days for lunch.

I'm a single guy and I prepare meals at home as often as I can manage it.

I'm one of those oddballs who doesn't like Thai food. The times I get stuck with socializing at a Thai restaurant, I usually wind up nursing a headache later that night - plus residual affects from MSG and who-knows-what other additives.

I prefer slicing up big fresh sweet red bell peppers at home and adding things like h.b. eggs, cherry tomatos from my garden, cucumber, tofu, red onion and a touch of mayo and lime. Getting a real salad in a Thai restaurant is about as easy as getting a free ride from a tuk tuk driver.

Edited by brahmburgers

Anyone know if rosemary grows well here, and if I can get a plant or seeds? I got used to using fresh in the US.

Here are some websites to check out. I tried growing the usual rosemay you see in southern california....the plant isn't quite dead, but it hasn't any leaves. The spice island one sounds promising though, and looks beautiful. This is one herb i really want to grow. My husband loves the smell.

http://www.richters.com/newdisplay.cgi?pag..._id=59945.56223

http://www.richters.com/newdisplay.cgi?pag...id=2641263.7401

However, I have heard of rosemary being grown in the Philippines with success. Just need extra good drainage and not full sun.

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/rosoffspiceislands.htm This one should grow here it's zones 8-11 and the tropics are in zone 11.

Beachbunny

I cook almost every day, and mostly western food.

Lots of pasta dishes and I make the best cheesecake in Nakhon :o

I am not fond of Thai food, I will eat rice on occasion but not everyday, I can't eat anything spicy, and I don't like the curries or the fried street foods.

I do like fish cooked with lots of garlic, most anything with lots of garlic really.

I like to cook very much, and when I have my own kitchen, cook everything myself. That way, you know exactly what is in it, and precisely what it is your loved ones are ingesting. You dont have to put up with stuff like MSG or other additives. You can also control which type of oil and how much. Husband is a carnivore although son is a vegeteranian (so he says), and I tend not to eat meat either. I have a fabulous bread machine, which is something I find it hard to do without right now.

Having worked on in the cattering trade and in restaurants for many years, and having had my own restaurant, I know what goes on behind closed doors (from the Dorchester to your local pub)! It truly would make your hair curl. So I much prefer to eat in, but we do go out once we find a really reliable restaurant.

I would never eat from a food stall, (in any counry), having seen various horrors which I will not go into here. A quick rule of thumb rule I use to assess the hygiene standards is how easy it is for the paying guests to see the kitchen (warts and all). If the chef/cook welcomes people into the kitchen and whoever in charge is not completely ignorant of food hygiene, then it is probably ok. But still I would avoid frozen pork, ice cream or fish, as they can be defrosted, stored at inappropriate temperatures, and then re-frozen.

I love to grow my own veggies and hope to be able to do that again soon. Nothing beats the flavour and satisfaction of growing something, then cooking and serving it to someone you love (and enjoying it yourself of course!). Again, by growing it yourself, you can control which (if any) pesticides you use.

I cook a lot...mostly american and italian food...I would start cooking mexican food but I'm headed back to the states soon.

My wife cooks some, mostly for herself because I'll just make a sandwich or something easy.....though she makes a killer tom yum gai

I have a pretty large collection of "copycat recipes" from most major restaurants that I use when "the urge" strikes.

I'll be glad to share any that might interest you...

A1 Sauce

Almond Joy Bars

Applebee's Lemonade

Applebee's Low-Fat Blackened Chicken Salad

Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad

Arby's Barbecue Sauce

Arby's Horsey Sauce

Arthur Treacher's Fish Batter

Auntie Ann's Pretzels

Baby Ruth Bars

Bailey's Original Irish Cream

BB King's BBQ Ribs

Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia

Ben & Jerry's Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ben & Jerry's NY Super Fudge Chunk

Benihana Magic Mustard Sauce

Benihana's Fried Rice

Benihana Ginger Salad Dressing

Bennigan's Hot Bacon Dressing

Bennigan's Onion Soup

Bisquick

Black Angus Garlic Cheese Bread

Black Eyed Pea's Broccoli-Cheese Soup

Boboli Pizza Crust

Borden's Sweetened Condensed Milk

Boston Market Chicken

Boston Market Meatloaf

Brown Derby's Original Cobb Salad

Buffalo-Style Chicken Wings

Cajun Cafe's Bourbon Chicken

California Pizza Kitchen Thai Chicken Pizza

Carl's Jr. Famous Star

Cheese Nips

Cheesecake Factory Pumpkin Cheesecake

Chi-Chi's Salsa

Chi-Chi's Sweet Corn Cake

Chi-Chi's Seafood Enchiladas

Chick-Fil-A Chicken Sandwich

Chili's Nacho Burger

Chips Ahoy

Cinnabon Rolls

Clausen Kosher Dill Pickles

Coney Island Dogs

Cracker Barrel's Bread Pudding

Cracker Barrel's Hashbrown Casserole

Cracker Jack

Dairy Queen Blizzard

El Pollo Loco Chicken

El Torito's Black Bean Soup

El Torito's Mexican Caesar Salad

Entenmann's Fat Free Chocolate Cupcakes

Fiddle Faddle

Fig Newtons

Four Seasons Crab Cakes

General Tso's Chicken

Girl Scout Mint Cookies

Goo Goo Clusters

Good Season's Italian Dressing

Grape Nuts Cereal

Gummi Bears

Hamburger Helper

Hardee's Buttermilk Biscuits

Heath Bar Candy

Heinz 57 Sauce

Hershey's Chocolate Syrup

Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing

Honey Baked Ham

Hooter's Buffalo Chicken Wings

Hostess Cupcakes

Hostess Twinkies

Houlihan's Baked Potato Soup

Howard Johnson's Boston Brown Bread

IHOP Pancakes

In-N-Out Double-Double Hamburger

International House Of Coffee Flavored Coffees

Jack-In-The-Box Tacos

Kahlua

KFC Original Fried Chicken

KFC Cole Slaw

KFC Gravy

KFC Macaroni Salad

King's Hawaiian Bread

Kraft Macaroni and Cheese

Kraft Thousand Island Dressing

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts

Krystal's Hamburgers

Legal Seafood Clam Chowder

Lipton's Onion Soup

Little Caesar's Crazy Sauce

Lowry's Seasoned Salt

Luchow's German Potato Salad

Lum's Ollieburger

Mar's Almond Bar

McDonald's Big Mac Sauce

McDonald's Filet-O-Fish Sandwich

McDonald's Honey Mustard Sauce

McDonald's Hot Mustard Sauce

McDonald's Quarter Pounder

McDonald's Sweet and Sour Sauce

Miracle Whip

Nutri-Grain Bars

Old Bay Seasoning

Olive Garden Eggplant Parmigiana

Olive Garden Fettucine Alfredo

Olive Garden House Dressing

Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli

Olive Garden Toscana Soup

Orange Julius

Oreo Cookies

Outback Steakhouse Aussie Fries

Outback Steakhouse Bloomin' Onion

Outback Steakhouse Coconut Shrimp

Outback Steakhouse Honey Wheat Bushman Bread

Outback Steakhouse Sydney's Sinful Sundae

Panda Express Orange Chicken

Papa John's Garlic Sauce

Pecan Sandies

Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

Pizza Hut Creamy Italian Dressing

Pizza Hut Original Pan Pizza

Pizzaria Uno's Chicago Deep Dish Pizza

Planet Hollywood Cap'n Crunch Chicken

Ponderosa's Steak Sauce

Popeye's Fried Chicken

Popeye's Red Beans and Rice

Red Lobster Cheese Biscuits

Red Lobster Creamy Caesar Dressing

Red Lobster Tartar Sauce

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Ruby Tuesday Apple Pie

Sara Lee Cheesecake

Sara Lee Poundcake

Sbarro Baked Ziti

Sbarro Tomato Sauce

Shake and Bake

Sizzler Cheese Toast

Snapple Flavored Ice Teas

Snickers Candy Bar

Soup Nazi's Seafood Bisque

Starbuck's Frappuccino

Steak & Ale Hawaiian Chicken

Stouffer's Macaroni and Cheese

Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate

T.G.I. Friday's Jack Daniels Grill Glaze

T.G.I. Friday's Soy Dressing

Taco Bell Crispitos

Taco Bell Enchirito

Taco Bell Green Sauce

Taco Bell Hot Sauce

The REAL Neiman Marcus Cookie Recipe

Thomas English Muffins

Tony Roma's Baby Back Ribs

Tony Roma's Onion Rings

Twix Bars

Waldorf Hotel's Waldorf Salad

Wendy's Chili

Wendy's Frosty

Wheat Thins

Wicker's BBQ Sauce

Yoo Hoo

York Peppermint Patties

Pm me if any of these peaks your interest and I'll be glad to send it to you.

Yes, I cook here in Thailand. Everything (mostly) except for Asian food. It's so cheap, I don't see the point of all that chopping, etc.

Getting ingredients is sometimes difficult, but I make do on the dishes I serve. Whenever I go to the UK though, I'm reminded of everything I can't cook due to the lack of this and that out here. When I first arrived in this region thirteen years ago it was a LOT worse so I'm not really complaining. Much anyway.

As for the other, I'm having difficulties getting rid of old ones (two and counting). With every rubbish bag sorted through, and the staff knowing who each bag belongs to, I'm tempted to do a walk about to turf it in someone else's rubbish. Yeah, I'm paranoid already about not knowing the Thai language well enough to figure out what the staff are laughing about, so even with my odd sense of humour, I don't need this subject tagged at the back of my mind :-D

But to answer your question - I purchase in a western country and bring them in. It's now become a traditional 'girls day out' whenever I'm visiting friends in the west. Yeah, I used to bring in my fav cheese, now it's ...

Anyone know if rosemary grows well here, and if I can get a plant or seeds? I got used to using fresh in the US.

When we eat out, it's typically at a falang place. They all serve Thai food, too, so I can get my curry fixes.

You can buy Rosemary plants at Chatuchak market on the plant market days (Wednesday and Thursday). I think like most herbs, you need to place it in the worst soil and then they will thrive. You can always ask the vendor for re-planting instructions.

Buckwheat.. I say we just have monthly cookouts at your house and just go down the list.

Hi Cathyy,

the only place where I can find ricotta quite easily is Pattaya. Never saw it in Chiang Mai. Phuket, of course, will have it for sure as it must be heaving with Italians. By the way, I'm Italian, so if you need some details about my native dishes I can always try to help. Although I learnt to cook in England my dad is a chef.

ciao

I do quite a bit of cooking as my husband isn't very fond of Thai food. He hates all Thai curries in particular. He'll eat stir-fries, but I make those pretty neutral, usually oyster sauce seasoned, and in no specific cooking style. I usually cook American food, and about once a week my husband makes spaghetti. I use my crockpot regularly enough to justify owning it. I, too, have and use a bread machine, but it's less necessary than I first thought as bread-making here has much improved in the past few years. I do miss the amazing bread I had in Laos! I like to make macaroni and cheese, lasagne (anybody know a source for ricotta?)and roasted chicken with rosemary. Anyone know if rosemary grows well here, and if I can get a plant or seeds? I got used to using fresh in the US.

My (Thai) husband taught me how to make various southern foods so I prepare dinner for him often. Mainly things like sea food, squid, prawns, pla duk, pla chon etc or I make him beef just done with garlic and nam see eow. His favourite is nam choup which I also make. I eat with him if it's not hot or I make pasta or dahl. Our son eats anything!