Tourism Minister Aims to Levy 300-Baht Fee for Visitors

webfact

Who's the target here - 1st timers on VE?
Or any farang even married ones with NON-O?

If just for VE then cancel VE and go back to VoA then but state that it is now 60+30 days.
And has no limit on back to back entries in Royal Gazette, that would be nice.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rolo89 said:

But I'd pay 300 thb (as a tourist) in advance to get a pre-approved visa and pass through immigration quickly. That kind of implementation works as you're getting something for it. 

Cambodia has that, 30$ on arrival or 36$ for paying in advance online.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

It may not be a great deal of money, but if people are on tight budgets and they have other choices available this is not a smart move.

If people are under such tight budgets that $9 is a deal killer, let them go elsewhere.  Give Thai hotspots a chance to recover so they're appealing to the people who aren't under a tight budget.  Sounds heartless, but it's the reality. 

I'm a perfect example.  I've been to Thailand 18 times in the past 18 months, but I haven't spent as much as one well heeled monger on a 2 week bender.  I just look good on the entry statistics.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

If people are under such tight budgets that $9 is a deal killer, let them go elsewhere.  Give Thai hotspots a chance to recover so they're appealing to the people who aren't under a tight budget.  Sounds heartless, but it's the reality. 

I'm a perfect example.  I've been to Thailand 18 times in the past 18 months, but I haven't spent as much as one well heeled monger on a 2 week bender.  I just look good on the entry statistics.

It's not $9 it's $50

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, impulse said:

If $45 makes the difference in a family of 5's choice of vacation site, they're not likely to move the needle with their vacation spending. 

One of Thailand's problems now is over-tourism in many locations.  That puts off well heeled travelers.  Thailand needs to upgrade the quality of the tourism, not the number of bodies.

It is now 200 US dollars for a family of four for tourism taxes flying into Thailand.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thailand's newly appointed Tourism Minister, Sorawong Thienthong, is set to revive the previously shelved 300-baht tourism tax, aiming to enhance tourism revenue to at least 3 trillion baht this year.

Lay it to rest. They are not even near that amount of revenue yet.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

One of Thailand's problems now is over-tourism in many locations.  That puts off well heeled travelers.  Thailand needs to upgrade the quality of the tourism, not the number of bodies.

Everywhere is trying to upgrade their tourists and get the high spending clientele, the Spanish resorts are now complaining after years of catering to the low quality tourists. Problem is the limited number of such people and they're having fewer holidays now everything costs so much more.

Most things you can get in Thailand you can also get in Japan, for a way better experience and thesedays for not that much more with how much they've devaluated their currency. 

Edited by Rolo89
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

So that's why ticket from DMK to Phnom Penh is cheaper than flying back.
Same with Phuket -> Malaysia  or with Singapore.
Thai airports want more tax. Now I get it.

And then they say heeeyy Visa is free!

Like Buy iPhone XYZ but get "free" screen protector
not many man made things are free.

Edited by Tim K
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1