Health Supplements

Bangkokhatter

Prescription medication for these things has been throughly tested and is relatively inexpensive. Production is tightly regulated and the dosage of the active ingredient carefully controlled.

None of these things are true for supplements.

The corporate side of Big Pharma is evil to be sure, but these drugs work.

Diet and exercise is great, and of course a good idea in general, but when that's not enough the medication is the answer.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Paradise Pete said:

Prescription medication for these things has been throughly tested and is relatively inexpensive. Production is tightly regulated and the dosage of the active ingredient carefully controlled.

None of these things are true for supplements.

The corporate side of Big Pharma is evil to be sure, but these drugs work.

Diet and exercise is great, and of course a good idea in general, but when that's not enough the medication is the answer.

I personally don't trust the FDA, CDC or anyone any more.  3rd party testing is a bit better, but nothing connected to big pharma or the govt.   They've been caught lying too many times, resulting in too many deaths.

Too many drugs have been first approved, then taken off the market, for various reasons.  Sadly, some doing more harm than good, others, just not economical.

image.png.d8da4726e70aeb8f8147bca7614fbab1.png

Most being filtered through the liver ... hence ...

image.png.a7b99d41cd714dd639ff5c80e4cde1b6.png

Just a wee bit of uncommon common sense, should keep intelligent people safe while taking supplements.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

Dear Hatter, i have experienced a great deal of success in an unexpected way, by focusing on the primary mental aspects of health which precedes the secondary resulting physical outcomes.

My supplement regimine consists of making a goal for health and vitality, thanking God via a simple prayer and then enjoying the results.

It is important to focus on what you want rather than to be fearful of what you don't.  Nikola Tesla reports the secret of the universe is frequency, vibration and energy.  A prayer is an invisible signal attracting your objective.

WTF

18 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

Dear Hatter, i have experienced a great deal of success in an unexpected way, by focusing on the primary mental aspects of health which precedes the secondary resulting physical outcomes.

My supplement regimine consists of making a goal for health and vitality, thanking God via a simple prayer and then enjoying the results.

It is important to focus on what you want rather than to be fearful of what you don't.  Nikola Tesla reports the secret of the universe is frequency, vibration and energy.  A prayer is an invisible signal attracting your objective.

WTF!

Never had 'high blood pressure'. The most successful actions I have found to stay lean, feel energetic and sleep soundly for 8 hours is regular daily exercise: walking every day toward a couple of miles, stretching, some light yoga and just the basic Vitamin supplements; A,D,E,C,Zinc,B12. A plus if you can make protein drinks; yogurt, frozen berries or best fresh, protein powder, cut fruit, any other powder supplements that indicate to you. No drugs or prescription meds. No smoking. No alcohol. No fried foods. Grass fed beef. Organic shopping as much as realistic. Regular sexual activity. Also awareness of dehydration in the Thai Sun and take daily electrolyte drink from three store bought ingredients that all the electrolyte products are made from; Salt, Potassium Chloride and Magnesium Glycinate. It's a fallacy that HBP is due to too much salt. There has never been a verifiable research on it that shows salt is harmful. In fact there are studies that show the longest living groups of humans consume much more salt daily than the average American. Good luck.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

Thanks for all the replies so far.

It seems supplements are not that well thought of then and i have to stick to the laborious exercise and diet routine.

More exercise i am ok with up to a point, due to dodgy joints, its the diet i struggle with, lack of food intelligence and imagination makes it difficult for me to make significant changes.

I have found weight loss to be the most effective strategy re: BP. I’ve been on salt reduction so long that at one point my naturopath GP, after a blood panel, said “ I hate to say this but you need to increase your sodium intake.” 😀 Living in Thailand now I watch it some again as Thai people seem to put salt and sugar in nearly everything. I prepare as much  of  my own meals as my wife will let me get away with.

For the last week I have discontinued my one purely BP med as the numbers were getting much too low. Will be interested to see what my doc says in two days.

In days of yore I took Hawthorne (Cretagous) until it was no longer enough for the desired effect.

Edited by Kwaibill
Addendum

19 hours ago, bear9 said:

I was watching a video the other day by a Dr I follow on yt Dr Brad Stanfield

The most interesting part of the video was blood pressure. He said that a 140/80 blood pressure reading was now no longer good enough and we all should be aiming for a reading of 120/80. Of course other factors come into play so 140 might not necessarily be bad but the general idea was that 120 was better.

Diet and exercise will be most important before any supplements

some of the things he reccomended included

1. Omega 3 Fish oil

2. Psyllium husk 
3. Creatine monohydrate

The other 1 he mentioned was a low dose of melatonin but I guess melatonin would only be helpful for someone with poor sleep. Don’t think you can get melatonin in Thailand as far as I’m aware 

19 hours ago, bear9 said:

The most interesting part of the video was blood pressure. He said that a 140/80 blood pressure reading was now no longer good enough and we all should be aiming for a reading of 120/80. Of course other factors come into play so 140 might not necessarily be bad but the general idea was that 120 was better.

1. Omega 3 Fish oil

2. Psyllium husk 
3. Creatine monohydrate

The other 1 he mentioned was a low dose of melatonin but I guess melatonin would only be helpful for someone with poor sleep. Don’t think you can get melatonin in Thailand as far as I’m aware 

It is sold under the name Circadin. Or something like that.

3 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

why is "lower cholestrol deemed as the correct thing ?   cholesterol is not the enemy

and what are the effects of cholesterol ...  ?

your body makes it ..   your cells are comprised of it .   you need cholesterol to make hormones, your brain is at least 20% cholesterol

cholesterol is the transport system for nutrients and recycle to the liver

sounds like another bad case of insulin resistance . 

change your diet ..  in other words.    do the research  and stop believing that the scammed and paid for research from the sugar companies is gospel..       

........and what are the effects ELEVATED of cholesterol ...  ?

Pretty dumb comment all round......your body is primarily water....drink too much of it and you die.....grasp the concept????

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

I want to try and get away from taking prescription pills for high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

Yes i know exercise and diet is very important and i have improved this but does anyone have any recommendations for health supplements that actually help ?

Have just spent a fair bit of time with my friend Google and you end up going round in circles trying to find good advice, personal recommendations seems the way to go.

Well, Sheryl can answer your question. She knows everything.

However, the way you go is a dead end street. Not supplements will help you but a healthy lifestyle. Use your time on Google to walk that way.

18 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

Thanks for all the replies so far.

It seems supplements are not that well thought of then and i have to stick to the laborious exercise and diet routine.

More exercise i am ok with up to a point, due to dodgy joints, its the diet i struggle with, lack of food intelligence and imagination makes it difficult for me to make significant changes.

Exactly.  Diet and exercise. For some people this will be enough, for others not. Do not  hesitate to take prescribed medication if you fall into the latter group.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Why?

Are you confident the 'health supplements' will have gone through a multitude of double-blind trials, control group studies and meta-analyses to ensure their efficacy?

don't you love short time trials of 6 weeks done on rats, then telling you it is safe to take the rest of your life... are you unaware of the billions of dollars in fines big pharma paid over the years for fraudulent science , fake advertisement, ... google is your friend

The $62.3 billion that Big Pharma has paid out in fines and settlements in the last three decades reflects pervasive wrongdoing in the industry.

• Agree 2

Before taking any 'out of normal range' of supplement, 100% or more of RDA, you should have a blood test (prealbumin), to see if you are deficient or have an abundance of any nutrients (vitamins or minerals).

Know that some interfere with absorption of others.   Use a bit of uncommon common sense, before stressing out you kidneys & liver, and Buddha knows what else.

Try a healthy vegan diet - no junk, and focus on reducing plant based saturated fat.  Combine that with cardio and stress resistance exercises. I was able to reverse early stage chronic kidney disease and have never looked back. This way of eating & living is a lot of change & effort but really does work.  All the best of luck 👍 

12 hours ago, leverito said:

For cholesterol-red yeast extract.

Yeast are the same as lovostatins.. Except that you can't know exactly the dose you are ingesting. Take care about this. 

Lower your body inflammation and the cholesterol should lower do. It is not the bad guy here... Just as the firemen always near the burnt house... 

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Before taking any 'out of normal range' of supplement, 100% or more of RDA, you should have a blood test (prealbumin), to see if you are deficient or have an abundance of any nutrients (vitamins or minerals).

Know that some interfere with absorption of others.   Use a bit of uncommon common sense, before stressing out you kidneys & liver, and Buddha knows what else.

I agree with the sentiment of this. With that said, B vitamin supplements are often many times the RDA (sometimes hundreds of even thousands of times) and it's generally fine. You do have to be careful with the minerals and fat-soluble vitamins, though - and don't want to go too high some of those as you can develop mineral toxicity!

For sure, yes, do get testing done for any deficiencies. I did exactly that and found out I was deficient in B1, B6 and C. I supplement with a methylated B complex. For vitamin C, I upped my intake of leafy greens and other vegetables with a decent amount of C like capsicum.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, leverito said:

For high blood pressure-grape seed extract,hawthorn extract.

For cholesterol-red yeast extract.

But for high blood pressure exercising will help better.

And for cholesterol a specific diet will help better.Google diet for healthy cholesterol.

The first generation statins, such as lovastatin, came from red yeast rice. 

Fourth generation statins, such as rosuvastatin, are much better.

High LDL has a large genetic component. Some people will never have high amounts of LDL no matter what, and some people will have high LDL even with proper diet and rigorous exercise. For them, statins or other meds are life-changers.

There is no one-size-fits-all answer like those found in online forums. A cardiologist will work to find a proper solution for their individual patients. If you're in the US, find one who's board-certified.

If your LDL is high the first step is to get it under control, often through medication, and then focus on diet and exercise.

Also, the known best diet for long-term cardiovascular health is now well established. Thousands of papers have been published in the last 10 years.

Eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, legumes, fish and seafood.

Limit saturated fats.

If you regularly eat those, you can also enjoy (in moderation) whatever else you like to eat.

Ignore the gym-bros who promote things like the carnivore diet.

• Agree 1

On 9/17/2024 at 7:33 AM, bear9 said:

1. Omega 3 Fish oil

2. Psyllium husk 
3. Creatine monohydrate

I like this guy and subscripted now. Thanks 

On 9/17/2024 at 12:59 PM, Mark Nothing said:

Fruitcake sounds good.  🙏

• Haha 1