Kyle Clifford Charged with Murders of BBC's John Hunt’s Wife and Daughters

Social Media

image.png

In a heartbreaking incident that shocked the community, 26-year-old Kyle Clifford has been charged with the murders of Carol Hunt, 61, and her two daughters, Hannah, 28, and Louise, 25. The tragic event, which unfolded on July 9 at the family’s home in Bushey, Hertfordshire, involved a brutal crossbow attack. Clifford, who has been in custody since July 10, is now set to appear in Westminster Magistrates' Court to face multiple charges, including three counts of murder, false imprisonment, and possession of offensive weapons.

Hertfordshire Police had been unable to question Clifford immediately after the attack, as he was receiving medical treatment for an injury. However, with Clifford now charged, the judicial process can move forward, offering some hope of justice to the grieving family. 

Detective Chief Inspector Nick Gardner of the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit reflected on the gravity of the situation: “Our thoughts remain with the Hunt family and their loved ones as they continue to come to terms with their loss. Over the past couple of months, we have been working hard to gather as much evidence as possible and establish the full circumstances of what happened that day. Today, we have managed to secure charges against Kyle Clifford in connection with the murders of Carol, Hannah, and Louise Hunt. Although it has taken some time to reach this stage, we can now move forward with the judicial process and seek justice for their family.”

Carol Hunt, the wife of BBC racing commentator John Hunt, and their two daughters were found gravely injured in their Ashlyn Close home, leaving the close-knit family in unimaginable pain. In a statement released in July, John Hunt and his surviving daughter, Amy, expressed their profound grief, stating that their devastation "cannot be put into words." They further described the aftermath of the attack as "an extremely difficult time for us."

Tributes poured in from friends, family, and colleagues, highlighting the impact the Hunt family had on those who knew them. Many described them as a "gentle, beautiful family," whose loss is deeply felt across their community. Hannah’s boyfriend, Alex Klein, took to social media to share his sorrow, posting a heartfelt message alongside a photo of the couple. He wrote: “RIP the love of my life, I will never forget you, stolen from me too soon. The brightest light in my life. My brave queen for life. Until we meet again... I love you Hansy.”

Support for John Hunt and his family extended beyond their immediate circle, with colleagues from BBC and ITV publicly expressing their sympathies. BBC Radio 5 Live host Mark Chapman, visibly emotional, shared his thoughts ahead of the coverage of England’s Euro 2024 semi-final, dedicating a moment to Hunt. He said: “John Hunt is our colleague and our friend, not just to the current 5 Live sports team, but to all of those who’ve worked here with him over the past 20 years, and also to all of you who have enjoyed his superb commentaries. So, on behalf of everybody connected to 5 Live Sports, our love and thoughts and support are with John and his family.”

Clifford, who hails from Rendlesham Road in Enfield, north London, will make a remote appearance in court. As the legal process begins, there remains a strong sense of grief and solidarity among those affected by this unspeakable tragedy. Lisa Ramsarran, chief crown prosecutor for the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) in Thames and Chiltern, reiterated this sentiment, stating: “Our thoughts remain with the Hunt family and all those who have been affected by this tragic incident.”

The pain of the Hunt family and the broader community will be long-lasting, but there is hope that justice will be served as the case proceeds.

Credit: The Independent 2024-09-18

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png